• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

north east storms

Reaction score
I hope everyone is staying dry. I imagine a lot of folk here are in the heavy rain area. Saw more than 8" in an hour along lower Hudson. Not sure Vermont is doing better.

Major flooding in some parts of central VT. Montpelier is apparently under water. Lots of roads out all over the state. Some in NH as well, but not as bad.

Second time Vermont (and the northeast) has been hammered in just 12 years. With the change in climate and severe weather becoming the norm, society might have to start seriously thinking about abandoning development in floodplains and letting rehabilitated wetlands function as sponges again. The Cornwall Swamp of Otter Creek in Vermont is one example of how wetlands absorbed enough flood water from Tropical Storm Irene to reduce the volume of flow (and resulting damage) from 19,000 cfs (cubic feet per second) in Rutland to 7,000 cfs in Middlebury, 35 miles downstream.

I drove across Vermont today from Maine on my way to the Adirondacks. I guess I was half way between Montpelier and Londonderry, the worst I saw was in Bethel. Very high water in the rivers and shoulder and driveway washouts, no road closures. I let the Internet maps pick the route.
Some parts of the ADK’s got hit really hard too, roads all destroyed.
Jim

Very sad. I hear long lake village got hit and the bridge on 28n is closed.

I’m headed up to Vermont for a family reunion. I had a reservation at a riverside inn. Then my cousin arranged for me to stay at an Airbnb closer to town, so I canceled the inn reservation.

My cousin emailed last night that the inn washed away into the river!

I’m headed up to Vermont for a family reunion. I had a reservation at a riverside inn. Then my cousin arranged for me to stay at an Airbnb closer to town, so I canceled the inn reservation.

My cousin emailed last night that the inn washed away into the river!
So sorry to hear that…

the renting livery has been fined. Unnamed so you need to do due diligence. There is a lot of forest detritus in the river.

"OTTAWA, July 22 (Reuters) - The heaviest rain to hit the Atlantic Canadian province of Nova Scotia in more than 50 years triggered floods causing "unimaginable" damage, and four people are missing, including two children, officials said on Saturday."

"The Long Lake Park Dam, which includes the Jennings Pond causeway, are in the heart of the central Adirondack town and are privately owned by George Carrothers. He, and some adjacent property owners, received an August letter from the state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) ordering them to submit a schedule for a permanent fix or complete rebuild by Oct. 16. Jennings Pond looks more like a swampy marsh than a pond now."

Back