• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Noises while tripping.

Reaction score
On my trip last fall, during the night I awoke to hear the noise of someone walking near our hammocks and around the our camp site. I called to Anna and asked if she was up and about. She replied from her hammock "no". I said "do you here footsteps?" She said yes, so I got up to check it out. By the time I got out of my hammock like 20 seconds later all was quiet. A walk around the camp showed that nothing had been disturbed so I went back to sleep. I found out later that she herd the noise again later that night. This is the puzzling part. We were out in the BWCA in October, there were no other campers on the lake. We were camped in some large white pines with a thick carpet of soft dead needles. The sound of foot steps was the sound of someone dragging there feet in lose gravel. It sounded like it was less then ten feet away at times. The whole time I was more puzzled by the gravel sound then afraid, hence me going back to sleep. The daughter on the other hand was a little freaked out.

I have heard other sounds in this location before. The waves on the shore sound like voices at times. The ground squirrels make an amazing amount of noise after dark. I don't mind noises if I can identify them. Can't figure out how to make a gravel sound in a pine carpeted woods.
Dave

Disembodied noises can be freaky.

Back when I wasn't such a clean camper, what I later figured out to be a mouse made an awful racket going through the empty chili cans in the trash bag. I could swear it was a bear at first (lucky it wasn't).

A few years ago while I was camped in the Sawtooth Wilderness, I awoke to the sound of someone tossing a bolder into the water. Who would be doing that way out here at this time of night? Back to sleep, and it happened again....and again, and again. Figured out the next morning - I was camped near a beaver den. Every time I fell asleep and began snoring, I scared the beaver and it slapped its tail.

First time I slept next to a rocky-bottom river, I thought I was hearing something large walking through the water. Kept hearing these loud "clunk" sounds as what ever it was (a moose?) disturbed the large gravel on the river bottom. That's when I was surprised to learn that melon-sized rocks move real easy when submerged, just from the current - all night (and day, of course) long...one thunk at a time.

Sure. I heard weird noises and was sure it was a bear. Headlamp GO. It was a bird
I heard nothing and woke up to feet in front of the vestibule. Two moose.
I thought my husband rolled up against me. Woke up It was a solo trip.. Bear leaving.

If I listen long and hard enough to running water, I hear voices in it. Once had a mouse in deep leaves keeping me awake until an owl flew across the lake and landed above me--sweet dreams.
Turtle

You are deep in the bush, sharing an ecosystem with many animals. The animals outnumber you campers by orders of magnitude. Why would hearing noises in the bush at night be weird? :)

The footsteps close by is a sound I often get woken up by. Its often American toads. They are attracted to tents and tarps because there is usually a huge collection of flying insects around and under them. The external tent "fly" (ironic name), collects hundreds to thousands of flies underneath it on all my tents, buzzing around all the time. American toads are attracted to this, and will hop onto your tent fly, or crawl under the fly and climb up on the tent inner layer. Sometimes they slide off and you get a hilarious sliding sound, which will wake you with a start, until you get used to it. Toads will crawl into your vestibule to lap up the flies buzzing around your tent's mesh screen. Hopping toads sound like footsteps to me.

Other possibilities include: mice, voles, shrews, snakes, chipmunk, red squirrel, hare, lynx, weasel mink, marten, fisher, otter, beaver, fox, coyote, wolf, bear.

Owls will make crazy banshee wails, and that may freak you out until you get used to it. Bears do not sound like wailing banshees, so relax and embrace the banshee sound when it happens.

One time, I was kept awake all night with a lynx chasing hares around through the forest all around the tent. The hares would sometimes ricochet like a pinball off the tent, keeping me awake and giving me mini heart attacks just as I was falling to sleep again.

Several times I have had flying squirrels land on my tent with a big punchy sound, then slide off. When fast asleep, that is extremely startling.

One time a weasel set up its hunting rounds to crawl over and across my inner tent liner where I could see it through the gossamer light fabric above me. It ignored me and went about its rounds.

Been woken up by Ptarmigan in the arctic - now there is a unique sound. If you have never heard it, you will not believe birds can make a sound like that.

Been woken up several times by a moose walking through camp. One time it was sniffing my tent and snorting. That was actually scary, because I imagined at any moment a giant hoof with a thousand pounds behind it stomping me to pulp. I roared and the moose galloped off.

Muskox galloped through camp once near my tent in the sub-arctic. Grizzlies don’t make that hooves on turf sort of sound, so it was one of those pleasant sounds that was not hear attack material.

In my early career in southern Ontario, of course there were the raccoons which were no end of trouble, and make creepy horrible sounds.

I have had large animals brush against the tent several times and then go away, but never seen them. Might have been a black bear. Had to once scare a bear out of my camp with a bear banger because it had decided it was going to trash my canoe. It ripped up my portage yoke pad (maybe for the salt, maybe for sport).

My best absolutely non-mysterious, positive ID animal suddenly waking up sound was wolf pack howls just a few meters from my tent. That was in the arctic, and I am sure they were having a good laugh waking me up at 5 in the morning! Had several nice awakenings by packs of wolves maybe 100m-200m away in various places in the Boreal.

Anyone else have a weird noise story?

Weird noises at Assateague.
I knew that Sitka Deer (introduced Asian species) were elk
I had heard elk bugling out west.
It took me a while to put 1+1 together.

Rockfalls in the distance while in canyon country in the SW.
No mystery what it was, but it gave me pause about where to set up my tent amid steep canyon walls.

Settle down folks its bedtime. Night light AKA the Moon is on. Comfy in your sleeping bag? Look up. Shadow scurries across your tent roof. You are glad you put the fly on; you are glad you are not in a lean to or floorless tent because otherwise you would be looking at a rat face to face.

Rat gone . You are asleep. The sound of someone sanding wood wakes you up. There is no canoe shop around here! Rasp rasp rasp. You open the door very quietly. Raccoon is licking your tent for the dew.

Meanwhile the battle of the owl hoots goes on .. Endlessly.

You hurriedly zip up the fly and door and scooch down in your bag. Nighty night.

You thought the night sounds in the Everglade would be slither and roar? Not.

I awoke from a deep sleep, while camping on a river island close to home, one night, a few years ago. I wasn't sure if I was dreaming, or visited by a deer or raccoon. I woke hollering, again, I don't know if it was a dream or not.

I have often times swore I heard footsteps close to the tent, at night, when in the BWCA. Found nothing amiss the next day. BWCA Forest Gnomes !

OK ! A true story ! In my younger day, I ran Bluetick coon hounds. One Winter night during a January thaw, a friend and I decided to run the hounds up the river, in hopes the dogs would tree a coon.
We had gone about a mile up river, and we could hear a sound that resembled heavy breathing and a low gurgle. Our minds conjured up visions of Big Foot ! We were both spooked. My buddy wanted to call the hounds in and go home. I talked him into approaching the sound and discover it's source ! Besides, I knew I could out run him !

About two hundred yards up river was a rock quarry. There was a pump the quarry had used to pump water out of the quarry, into the river. The pump would loose prime, and the drain tube combined with the pump, made this awful sound.

We laughed at how a couple of seasoned hunters were so shamefully frightened.

Jim

Well, I have heard footsteps ... not deliberate, but slow sneaking footsteps ... which got my attention. I eased my head with head lamp out of my tent to discover a curious caribou sneaking about camp while I was camped on Royed Lake in WCPP.

I also was camped another year on the Glenn River System in WCPP and thought all the moose sign was cool. That night I heard the Moose stamp their hooves as they let me know how much presence disturbed them ... stamping hooves on hollow ground is not exactly a lullaby when it is very dark at night. I tried to sleep and not think about a moose smashing me in my tent. I did not sleep much!

One night I heard quiet a ruckus running around camp. An animal was being chased and was frantically running for its life, ran right by my tent and kicked pine needles all over one side. Being in a sound sleep and waking to that was scary. At first I thought it was some huge hungry animal wanting to snack on me. Once I got my whits about me , I figured it was a rabbit running from something ... I hope.

Bob.

Last edited:
If I listen long and hard enough to running water, I hear voices in it. Once had a mouse in deep leaves keeping me awake until an owl flew across the lake and landed above me--sweet dreams.
Turtle

I wish I were lucky enough to hear voices in running water if I listened long and hard. Instead I hear faint music almost immediately. The longer I'm around running water/rapids the worse it gets. Each rapid makes a different song and it's usually the same verse looping over and over and over again. It's like there's an outdoor music venue a mile away on the other side of the river. Or your neighbor listening to the radio in their yard while you're in the house. I can tell what kind of music it is, kind of pick up the melody, and hear muffled voices but can't make out anything definite or understand the words. It's there in the back of my head the whole time and about the only time it stops is when I become conscious of it. Then I suddenly hear the roar of the rapids. Not so bad for a day or two but for multiple weeks on a long river trip spent camping next to rapids it drives me nuts.

Alan

I wound up talking to me or nothing or fungi in WCPP as it was so quiet.. Not even a white throated sparrow. Nada.

I wound up talking to me or nothing or fungi in WCPP as it was so quiet.. Not even a white throated sparrow. Nada.

I've also been surprised how quiet it can be up there at night. Many nights not even insect or frog/toad noise.

I've also got to say I'm amazed this thread has gone so long without a fart joke.

Alan

Last edited:
.....best absolutely non-mysterious, positive ID animal suddenly waking up sound was wolf pack howls just a few meters from my tent. That was in the arctic, and I am sure they were having a good laugh waking me up at 5 in the morning! Had several nice awakenings by packs of wolves maybe 100m-200m away in various places in the Boreal.

Talk about that. Last time I was in the Sawtooths, on my first night, the wolves had an all night party on my doorstep. No mistaking that.

But the all-time sleep deprivation top honors ffrom me go to western grebes during mating season. Holy moly, pass the earplugs!

Lows lake years back I camped at the trail head going to big deer pond. At 0430 somthing spooked a loon and he gave a heck of a tremolo, which blasted me right out of my bag. Couldn't have been more than 30yds away. Another lows lake \ grassy pond story was when a mating pair of Canada geese flew out of a slender bay which was right on the side of the designated site, honking their heads off at 0530 with a hang over headache to boot!

When relaxing in my campsite, I heard heavy thumping footfalls coming down the hiking trail. Having just heard bears sounding the same at camp sabatis scout camp, I was certain it was a bear. Finally it came into sight-----it was a snowshoe hare!!
Turtle

I've also been surprised how quiet it can be up there at night. Many nights not even insect or frog/toad noise.

I've also got to say I'm amazed this thread has gone so long without a fart joke.

Alan

I have been scared by bowel sounds in WCPP. Growls.. From my inner self.

I have had hundreds of geese honking their heads off at zero dark thirty. The worst though is Whippoorwills.OMG. I have been tempted to fire a banger at them to get them to shut up.

I actually like sleeping next to some rapids as it drowns out all the small noises that keep Karin up. She woke me up on Wallace Lake one time because something was pawing at the back of the tent. I raised myself up a bit, punched whatever it was through the tent wall and went back to sleep.

What I do find is that some places are creepy. Others are much more friendly. If I get a bad vibe from some place, I dont linger there. It takes a while to get used to listening to the world around you but if you can find that balance it is surprising what will talk to you. And yes YC, I talk to myself on occasion too.

Christy

The only sounds I've ever heard that couldn't be identified have all been on Floating Battery; an island in Lake George. For what it's worth, both of these incidents occurred while I was on our annual French & Indian war weeklong trip. The first incident happened at night. I was on watch just inside the shadows of the island facing the eastern shore. It was an evening with a full moon and absolutely no clouds. Behind us in the brush we heard something and when I turned all I could see was the full figure of a man in a mid-18th century French Marine uniform, musket in hand. His eyes met mine and I watched as he slowly disappeared, retreating into the brush. I later found out that there is supposed to be a ghost of a French Marine from that timeframe who still patrols the island. Since others have seen/heard him, I'm not sure what it says about me but it's still one of my best experiences on the lake.

The other incident happened two years ago at the same event. The lake wasn't letting anyone on it that day so we were all huddled around our campfire; eating, BS'ing and just generally enjoying each other's company. All of a sudden we heard voices from the western shore of the island; our campsite is generally in the middle of the island so we're not easily seen and also out of the wind. Anyway, the voices didn't stop but we couldn't make out their words. Another person of the crew and I grabbed our muskets and proceeded to patrol the island. It's not that big but still takes about 45 minutes to an hour to fully cover the ground. Throughout the entire scout we never saw anyone but we did continue to hear the voices from time to time. Being this was daylight we should have at least been able to see people through the trees but there was absolutely nothing. Honestly, this one spooked me more than seeing the French Marine because he's at least part of the lore of Floating Battery. This was just spooky.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I spent some time in Pa. this fall and was surprised by the variety of night sounds I heard, coyotes, owls, beavers chewing and one that I have no idea what it was.
I have been scared by bowel sounds in WCPP. Growls.. From my inner self. I have been scared by my own stomach growling more than once on solo trips.

I usually don't mind the sound of birds early in the morning, except for grebes, they have kept me awake.

Some of the most memorable things on a trip are what you hear, not what you see.

Back