• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

NFCT work weekends

Reaction score
This coming weekend I'lk be with NFCT crew on Valcor Island working camp sites and following weekend on Upper Saranac improving Indian Carry.

Wondered if anyone else here has joined there volunteer crews. I did 2 weekends 2 years ago around Grand Falls. Built a bridge, landing, and a campsite on Camp Island.

This coming weekend I'lk be with NFCT crew on Valcor Island working camp sites and following weekend on Upper Saranac improving Indian Carry.

Wondered if anyone else here has joined there volunteer crews. I did 2 weekends 2 years ago around Grand Falls. Built a bridge, landing, and a campsite on Camp Island.
I have not but in younger days did a lot of cleanups and work parties on the Maine coast and in Acadia and in the 100 Mile Wilderness on the AT.

Have a great time. The work is rewarding Try not to have too much fun!

I've done six work trips on the NFCT. Two in NY, two in Vermont and two in Maine. The last one was the Moose River bow loop about 6 years ago along with Coldfeet. Coldfeet also magically just happened to be paddling near Raquette falls (he hadn't signed up for the work trip) when we did some work on the carry I think he ended up moving a couple thousand pounds of rock. - Enjoyed all of them great group of people.
The one work trip that stands out the most in my mind however was with the ADK club when we paddled to all the campsites on Long Lake and relocated out houses. You haven't lived until you pick up an existing out house and quickly shovel dirt into the old pit to cover the smell.

Well as made it to Valcor island for first work weekend. Big group - I think 10 volunteers plus 3 interns and one staff.

Attachments

• PXL_20230624_002449398.jpg
    PXL_20230624_002449398.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 7
Besides repairing fire rings and creating tent pads, and a lot of trash, built these stairs to a long inaccessible camp site. Lower and upper section. About 35' of elevation.

Attachments

• PXL_20230624_182616349.jpg
    PXL_20230624_182616349.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230624_182643352.jpg
    PXL_20230624_182643352.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 11
Besides repairing fire rings and creating tent pads, and a lot of trash, built these stairs to a long inaccessible camp site. Lower and upper section. About 35' of elevation.
I believe saw a blurb on the NFCT site or in an email about your work on that campsite. Looks like it will be a great site!

3 years ago, I paddled around Valcor Island on a day trip. I didn’t know there were campsites there, and I was really surprised to learn it was part of the NFCT. south of Plattsburg, isn’t it out of the way?

Regardless, it’s great you were able to provide volunteer support to NFCT! Many paddlers will benefit, so thanks.

Not really a part of the NFCT, but not far from the Platsburg NY Stanton VT crossing. Hit Champlain on a stormy day and not a bad place to wait it out. It's NY property manager by DEC. It's actually within the blue line - which surprised me.

28 or more sites? And you can primitive camp but much poison ivy. As a BWCA/Quetico guy, the motor traffic, air traffic (under Plattsburgh International approach), and clear view of many multi million dollar places on the main land, somewhat different.

PS: besides enjoying the outdoor stewardship work, also great to meet others. A current and long ago student of a college where I taught long ago, a couple with some impressive journalism experience, and really enjoyed everyone's company, including potential future paddling partner. A great time. I'm signed up for next weekend on Upper Saranac. And did I mention the leader was a chef for a dozen years until going back to school for ecology. Fantastic meals.

Back out for second work weekend today - Upper Saranac - work on Indian Carry. (Probably will be renamed soon.)

Back