• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

New to tracking on my SPOT

Reaction score
I used to get the basic service on my SPOT, just a quick message to a few folks to let them know I'm ok every evening. Now the SPOT people make tracking mandatory, and I have a few questions.

Alan Gage used tracking last year and it was nice to follow. So Alan, (or anyone else), do I need to keep the spot on all day to have the tracking function to work?
Can I just turn the device on every once in a while to get the tracking to work with a decent "track" of my route? .
Is it hard to figure out how to get the tracking set up to work on Facebook and just sent to my "friends".
If I leave the SPOT on all day, will one set of back up batteries be enough for a week-10 days?
Thanks for any advice.

I don't really know how all the features work. I think my plan includes tracking but I never used it. I just did the old school way and hit a button every few days to send out ok messages. SPOT also gave me the address of a web page where anyone who had access to the link could see a map and the location of where I hit the "ok" button. That's what I shared here. You have to log in at the SPOT website to get this.

For tracking I believe you need to leave the unit on and push some combination of buttons to put it into tracking modes. Then it sends out a signal every so many seconds/minutes (I believe you can adjust this) so people can track you "live" at home.

Alan

The unit has to be on and located where it is capable of receiving and sending the satellite signals.

I had tracking for one year and then ditched it. Only send two per day - one to say I survived the night and the other to note when I arrive at camp.

The message says same thing. Not Dead...Yet.

I think the new ones have an option for setting the time interval and even to stop sending tracking messages when you are stationary. With my renewal this year they insisted I pay for tracking even though I have never used it. Pissed me off somewhat!

The Spot has a power saving option that if it detects no movement for a while it shuts off. So just power it on every morning and Bob's yer uncle

I used the old model SPOT. The tracking is turned on or off using the button with the little feet logo. I almost never use tracking as it eats up batteries. My protocol is to turn on the device when I launch for the day. At that time I send the "I am ok" message. I leave the unit on while paddling. When done for the day, I either send the "I am ok" message again (like returning from a day paddle) or send a customized message that says "I am stopping here for the night". These two messages provide my wife with info that I am safely off the water. The second programmable message I can send is "I am ok but need to be picked up at this location". This is the gear/boat failure message. It goes to my wife and my brother. Have not had to use it yet.

I leave the device on while paddling so I don't have to wait for it to acquire position if I have to hit the SOS button. I change batteries in it once a year, and use it about 150 days a year.

Use of SPOT devices is mandated by the rules of the 440 mile Yukon River Quest, and the Yukon 1000 mile canoe races. I have used the Gen1 and Gen2 versions while paddling both races, a veteran of twice each race (so far). Tracking is required to be on. Both of those generations send track data out on 10 minute intervals, but I understand that interval is selectable with the latest model. Race officials and anyone else on the internet can follow individual racer's positions on the river in near-real time (go to the respective YRQ and Y1K web pages).

Failing to send track data due to operator error could result in a significant time penalty being added to your race finish time. For the Y1K in particular, we are required to stop for 6 hours per "night", as verified by SPOT. In addition to the automatic tracking signal, we must send an "I am OK" message when stopping for our 6 hours, and again when beginning the new day paddle. The biggest problem some paddlers had, even though all are very seriously directed on how to mount their SPOT, was failure to get a signal out. Mostly due to failure to properly keep the unit properly oriented. Putting it in a pocket with random orientation usually results in no signal. Some teams accumulated very significant time penalties because of that. Mine was always mounted on the bow deck and we had no losses, except very few when high canyon walls blocked the sky. No time penalty for us on any race.

The other little known quirk (in Gen1 and Gen2) is that after you manually press the button to send an "I am OK" message, it may take up to 20 minutes (but usually far less) for that signal to be sent. If you happen to press the OK button again before the first signal was sent, the first message is cancelled and the clock starts again. Keep pressing the OK button every few minutes, and a signal never makes it out.

I found battery life to be excellent, even while tracking. No need to change batteries during the 45 hours or so to finish the YRQ. During the Y1K as a precaution I changed the batteries after 3 days during the 6 days it took us to complete the 1000. The batteries never quit, so I don't know how long they would actually last.

However, SPOT will shut itself down after each 24 hour period of continuous use. So it is important to remember to quickly cycle it off and on before being on for 24 hours.

Last edited:
We check in at noon and when we camp, I see that I also was hit with the extra $50 for tracking.

The other thing to let the people at home about SPOT is, Sometimes you might have to hit the SOS button for someone else. In that situation I've told my wife that as soon a help arrives we will hit the OK button.

Sweeper, you only want to hit the SPOT "SOS" button for a true emergency to call for professional assistance. It is the automatic 9-1-1 equivalent. The other button is "help", which sends an email message to pre-designated responsible recipients of your choice, who would then have to interpret what to do to assist you on your way.

In our case on the Yukon, pressing the SOS button means we are in big trouble, possibly life threatening. The SOS signal automatically goes to professional SAR authorities in addition to your pre-designated recipients. Send all possible assistance asap.

On the other hand, the understanding between us and our pit crew is if we press "help" but tracking shows that we are still moving, we are still somewhat mobile but not able to finish the race. Meet us at the next available village for take-out (which could be a couple hundred miles yet downriver). If we are not moving after we press "help", we are safe, but will need assistance at the present location (send a boat, not a helicopter), though it not need be super immediate (for example - perhaps a sweeper, or a foraging bear, has destroyed our canoe).

Last edited:
Exactly on the SOS, my point is I may have to hit the SOS for someone else so try not to panic. I've never had tracking until now and haven't used it.

The 3rd generation units have a motion detecting sensor so you just leave it on and it'll go into power saver when you stop and then start tracking again when you move. The 2nd generation unit, which I have, requires you to manually start tracking once every 24 hours. I use it on long motorcycle trips and at the end of the day I send out my "custom" message that says I'm stopping for the night, all is well. I hit it I start setting up camp and then a half hour later when I have my camp set I turn the unit off. This gives it plenty of time to send the message. In the morning I fire it up and hit"OK" and then start tracking while breaking camp and the few people who follow me will see it and know I'm getting ready to roll and see maybe a few tracks before I actually start moving. At this rate it runs about 8-16 hours a day depending on my daily route and a set of batteries usually last me a week. I take a small waterproof canister with two sets of spare batteries just in case I am sending a lot of "OK" messages (once every time I stop, just so my Dad doesn't get scared that my bike stopped moving, he follows my tracking on all my trips). I also have the batteries in the event I need to SOS, I'd hate to have to SOS and the batteries be dead!

Back