• Happy Sea Serpent Day!

new to me solo

Reaction score
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg Well I sure wasn't shopping for another solo canoe when an unusual boat that I had never seen turned up in craigslist and I ended up taking it home. It's a 1994 Blackhawk Shadow SS Special. 15'8" (I think). Shallow V hull. It has the plain end flotation tanks like other Blackhawk Shadows but has ash and mahogany trim like some of the fancier and more expensive solos like Zephyr and Ariel. It needs some TLC but is in nice shape overall. I picked it up last night and have already had it out once and so far I like it. The cane seat failed at the take-out so I need to take care of that. I spent a few hours scrubbing the interior with non abrasive cleaner and a stiff brush and it's looking much better. Have retightened all fasteners and will soon sand and refinish the wood. What fun!

Reaction score
Very nice! Much as I don't need another solo canoe, I'd have to jump on that if it came by me too.

Reaction score
Gerald, coldfeet, Jim, Steve and Ken. Thank you for the kind words. You are all welcome to paddle it if you find yourself in the SW Michigan area. My buddy sent me an old Blackhawk brochure with the specs. I'll post a few pics when I finish cleaning it up.

G

Congratulations: You have found a seldom seen Blackhawk SS Special, and become one of a very few owners of that particular model of Blackhawk.
I have one myself, and since I purchased it, I had never seen another one; not even in pictures.
I'm it's second owner; it belonged to a Blackhawk employee who got it in lieu of some part of his salary, when Blackhawk shut it's doors.
When I got it, it had "never" been paddled. I've used it a couple of times, but only on deep water lakes, and as a result it is still in pristine condition.
Mine is the same color as yours, and has the same ash/mahogany trim. It also still has all of the original stickers attached.

I have 7 other Blackhawks besides my SS Special; an Ariel, Nighthawk, 2 Shadows, Covenant, Zephyr, and Proem.
Previously owned a Shadow 14, Starship & a Combi. Unfortunately, I don't have a good photo of my SS Special.

Jester

Attachments

• photo8765.jpg
    photo8765.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 8
  • photo8767.jpg
    photo8767.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 7
  • photo9731.jpg
    photo9731.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 7
  • photo9732.jpg
    photo9732.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 8
  • photo9733.jpg
    photo9733.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reaction score
Congratulations: You have found a seldom seen Blackhawk SS Special, and become one of a very few owners of that particular model of Blackhawk.
I have one myself, and since I purchased it, I had never seen another one; not even in pictures.
I'm it's second owner; it belonged to a Blackhawk employee who got it in lieu of some part of his salary, when Blackhawk shut it's doors.
When I got it, it had "never" been paddled. I've used it a couple race fully but at same timeof times, but only on deep water lakes, and as a result it is still in pristine condition.
Mine is the same color as yours, and has the same ash/mahogany trim. It also still has all of the original stickers attached.

I have 7 other Blackhawks besides my SS Special; an Ariel, Nighthawk, 2 Shadows, Covenant, Zephyr, and Proem.
Previously owned a Shadow 14, Starship & a Combi. Unfortunately, I don't have a good photo of my SS Special.

Jester
Nice. I've had a few Blackhawks in my past including a Zephyr, Ariel, Shadow 14, Combi 14.9, and Combi 15.8 Now I've just got a Kevlar Combi 15.8 and the Shadow SS. I'd be curious to hear your comments about the Starship since that's one I've never paddled...plus I passed a perfect one for $1200. Looks like they are heavy (I don't need any 50 pound solos). I enjoy the shallow vee design of Blackhawks and how it makes them carve turns so gracefully but at same time I have zero tolerance for poor performing canoes. I'd like to get another fixed seat Zephyr some day even though it's too small to carry a dog. I know a guy with 3 Zephyrs including an unpaddled one with Birdseye maple trim. Yum. The original owner of my SS decided to leave the Blackhawk stickers off since he liked the looks without stickers...funny how Blackhawk put stickers on some boats but not all of them.

So here's your Blackhawk quiz Joker. The Shadow 15.8 is 15'8" long while the Combi 15.8 is 15'9" long. What's up with that?

Reaction score
Just seeing this thread. Beautiful boat.

Also curious how different the ss shadow might paddle from the starship. Probably moot since the ss is so rare.

Maybe the ss has a higher sheer?