• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

New to Group

Reaction score
This is the first online group I've signed in with in my whole life. Be gentle. Scoping out the recent introductions, and my status of getting back into canoeing after many years, figured I'd give it a go. Ya'll seem a decent group.
Currently in Denver, CO, and recently joined the Rocky Mt Canoe Club (RMCC). They're signing up for various river trips and I'd like to join, relearn some things I used to kinda know a century ago.
Had my first canoe experience in 1956 at a Y camp in Princeton, IN. Loved water and boats while I lived in Bloomington, IN. Noticed someone's from Cooperstown, NY, where I used to hang when I was an Explorer Sea Scout. We worked on an old boat of some type on Otsego L. It never ran while I was there. Lived in Oneonta, then Johnstown, 60 mi. north. That was Fulton Co., which I think had 52 lakes. I paddled a few. Been on and off boats since, lived in four countries, hence something of a nomad, tho Denver's been a base.
Had a great time in August '05, tagging along with a small gp in the BWCA. Today I received confirmation of my permit for a solo in BWCA, this July. This trip is my way of trying to find some peace. As my late Uncle Jerry would call it, "In harmony with the infinite." We'll see.
Planning on getting a We-no-nah Rendezvous Kev-flex, from Canoe Colorado in Denver. Realize no one canoe does everything, except float. It's been an interesting process figuring out which canoe to get. At this age and stage, weight is the main factor, and solo, rivers and lakes next. Since there's not enough snow for shoe shoeing close to my place, I'm waiting for ice-out.
Hope you don't mind if I pose some questions as time goes on. The canoe world's changed since I last knew it. Cheers...

Welcome to the fire. There's a lot of knowledge & some really helpful people who visit this site so I'm sure you'll find the answers if you ask (and search the archives).

Enjoy your BWCA trip but be forewarned: the peace & simplicity of solo tripping can become addictive.

Welcome Nomad. Lots of good info here on canoes, tripping etc. This site is full of great folks. Glad to hear you have found your way back to canoeing. This is about as friendly and helpful of a website as there is 👍 .

Bob.

I like your boat choice. The Wenonah Rendezvous is a canoe I didn't pay much attention to back when I was whitewater canoeing, mainly because I wanted a shorter boat. But now that I'm enjoying sport canoes the Rendezvous looks like it could be a fun canoe to tour in.

Welcome. Canoeists are few and far between these days so online forums are a good way to at least share ideas. I occasionally participate on other forums but this one seems to stay focused on canoes.

Welcome and keep the Rendezvous right side up.. It does not like to be heeled and its a wet ride in big waves. A tripping load will make the boat a lot more stable.

Welcome from North centra Pa. Glad you found us. Looking forward to your posts.

Nomad, Welcome to a great site with awesome people...

I have worked on many, many Otsego Lake boats.

You didn't by any chance work on the Natty Bumpo or the Chief Uncas did you?

Last edited:
Nomad, Welcome to a great site with awesome people...

I have worked on many, many Otsego Lake boats.

You didn't by any chance work on the Natty Bumpo or the Chief Uncas did you?

No, didn't know about those two boats. Kinda thought I knew where Bumpo's original cabin posts were, but not the boat. Vaguely remember the Uncas being mentioned, but don't have any memories of seeing it. In '63-'64, the boat I sanded on a bit was a donated old diesel navy vessel (I think)...a patrol boat maybe? It was in pretty rough shape when I stepped aboard. Always wondered if it ever got fixed up and left the dock under it's own power.

I like your boat choice. The Wenonah Rendezvous is a canoe I didn't pay much attention to back when I was whitewater canoeing, mainly because I wanted a shorter boat. But now that I'm enjoying sport canoes the Rendezvous looks like it could be a fun canoe to tour in.

Welcome. Canoeists are few and far between these days so online forums are a good way to at least share ideas. I occasionally participate on other forums but this one seems to stay focused on canoes.
After considerable checking around for the best canoe (for me), I was considering a Northstar Phoenix IXP. Went to Canoe Colorado's warehouse to heft it, make sure I could manage it alone (I could). Then came the Rendezvous idea came up. It, too, passed the heft test. Main concern with the PHX was whether it would carry enough gear for an extended river trip. Some very positive comments about the Rendezvous's ability, and size, pushed me to that decision. That's where I am at the moment. Please don't mess up my mind with another canoe to consider... ;-)

Please don't mess up my mind with another canoe to consider... ;-)
Oh, you'll be considering all kinds of canoes if you hang out at this forum.

My attitude about canoes is that if they come close to meeting your design and performance criteria, they'll be enjoyable to paddle. And if they're not, try another one. There's plenty to consider. :)

Back