• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

New Solo Canoe Building Plans?

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I am thinking of starting a new build project and am thinking of a solo. I have built a winisk and a mattawa, and obviously the Osprey is a great boat. Just wondering about other options though, maybe more in the yost style as compared to John winters? I know DY really doesn't sell plans to home builders, what about his son Carl? Anyone else I might consider? I'm aware of the plans from Bear Mountain and Northwest, looking for something that would be similar to osprey in terms of displacement and use, but still more of a modern design. I am happy to build the osprey but just wanted to cover my bases before I get started.

Thanks,

Moonman.

Have you looked at the Carrying Place webpage? He has good designs too. Mostly traditional though. I have a Bear Mountain boat that I like quite a bit.

I'm sure you've seen the Kite, which is a modified Osprey. A few of us on this site have built one. Plans are available from Green Valley.

Mark

You might try contacting David Yost to find out if he has any plans he'd be willing to release. The rights to some of his designs will be held by manufacturers but others might not be... could be worth a try.

As Dogbrain says, you might want to look at the Kite, I'm mostly pleased with the design. When I bought the plans from Green Valley, also included were plans for the Osprey. The Kite handles white and swift water extremely well, and is really comfortable, with plenty of volume for gear. It's not going to produce any speed records, but you will stay dry in it.

And as frozentripper says, you could try contacting David Yost. I did just that a few years back and he custom altered his plans for the DY Special just for me. He explained that legally he could not sell most of his designs....but nothing prevented him from giving away a plan or two. He was very gracious and entertaining to converse with, we spent a few hours on the phone. I especially liked his tales of the behind the scenes making of some of his designs. I initially loved the DY, but ultimately my paddling took me to different water that the DY just wasn't designed for. It was a rocket ship with terminal stern hook.

Here are those two boats:

View attachment aD0oGVzpTl37yhipaLtG1k1NEWOIZbjJs9_d32b3rdlj3yBz8xYjNNmOd0_QJsCraDrMPjXp9MPLBp4EbBAr6qdJ7yLeOtghtJhX

View attachment 2xl2GgpzMlHU8ngjwH89Llb6zw3NBWUFeNLrCOI-hZMx5DMpbSbbdL5kKHH6zhdlqI_DCnWx__bga9kZKgWUUboNvczYNcYnEd81

Not to blow my own horn, but ...

She's a 15 footer and when built with 3/16" strips, 4oz glass reinforced in stems, football, and cleats, ash trim and no decks, she comes in at 30 - 35 pounds ...
To date there have been approx 30 built, or underway. Not the same long record of other boats but maybe someday ... :)

Stats here ... http://ashesstillwaterboats.com/boats/solo-day/

If it's a boat you're interested in, PM me (and that goes for anybody else here), and I'll send you a discount code.

2015-05-26-18.32.23-e1436324443511.jpg
Ashes-Shoot-1-Cloudy-Day-002-e1413315877583.jpg

Hey guys thanks for your replies. I have seen the Carrying Place boats, and yeah Stripperguy, I have seen and read about both thoses boats of yours, over the years, over on adk forum and this one. Cool build thread for sure. I spoke to Martin about the Kite version of Osprey when they brought it out a few years ago. Its actually what I was thinking about building...trevor thats a nice boat you have there. It seems perfectly designed for your stated uses. How do you think it would handle bigger water? For my needs I think I would need a slightly deeper boat, and maybe a hair more rocker up front. I am just north of Toronto so maybe I might swing down for a visist and chat next time I am down your way.

Cheers,

Moonman.

No Title

Yup, she's a pretty small boat.
I have drawn a solo with more volume and height but haven't built her yet, still looking for a brave first customer :) ... She's got similar rocker. An inch more freeboard, slightly more flare, and a touch less tumblehome. More secondary stability. Here's a quick peek...

Attachments

• photo6290.PNG
    photo6290.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 5
  • photo6289.PNG
    photo6289.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 5
  • photo6291.PNG
    photo6291.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 5
Flare. Recently I took my oldest son's Traveler a Wee Lessee type canoe. It has plenty of flare. It stayed drier than my 16' 4" Nokomis, in the same rapids.

Flare ? I'd be adding more to my next hull. maybe more rocker.

Jim

More rocker you say?
Rocker is a funny thing. When my bow catches an eddy line and spins me round I curse the lack of it. When I'm crossing beam to the wind I curse too much of it. Downwind with a following sea, give me more. When paddling sheets of glass ...
Have you got an all-time favourite hull shape, Jim?

Favorite hull shape ? It's funny how my requirements change ! I used to salivate over a Bell Magic. Not that the Magic doesn't have it, I just have changed my wants.
I've always been pretty happy with the canoes Bruce Kunz designed. His Merlin, the 38 spl. and lately I like his Kootenay. All very similar below the waterline.

I also like the Arkansas Traveler (Rushton), shortened to around 14' Paddled with a double blade, while sitting on the floor.

Alan Gage has produced some comfy hulls.

There is some great stuff out there ! Wind, waves, and rapids make good test fields. Like everybody ! I'm still searching for a perfect canoe !

Jim

My favourite was 16 feet long. It weighed 80 pounds and was made in a high school shop class. I sat on the forward deck and fell in love at the age of 12 (unrequited btw, dang). I caught a 24 inch rainbow trout at the age of 10. And the stories could go on ... but it WAS the perfect canoe.

Last thread hijack I promise ...

Back