• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

New addition

Yes I like that sling seat. I think I'll try to make one similar to that out of webbing and cordura nylon. I got out in my 1928 old town today. I have to kneel since I also have a thwart in the way behind the bow seat. The sling seat should be an improvement.

Nice canoe there Dogbrain

Dogbrain, I typically kneel but I cut a piece of foam to fit the bow seat to bring it up to the height of the thwart. It's not pretty but it makes for a comfortable seat. My wife was in the bow the other night and said she felt like a queen in that high seat. Naturally you have to evaluate the effect it has on stability.

Al, that Old Town has the roundest bottom of any canoe I've ever been in, as a result, it's already too lively to sit on the seats. At least it is as a tandem, although my wife can get away with sitting on the bow seat. I even lowered the seats a little from factory height. I think the canoe was made with a flatter bottom originally, but that has changed over time. As a solo, kneeling, I really like the handling.

Mark

I hear you there Mark, my wife's 16' Guide has a rounded bottom and it's pretty twitchy. On the bright side I find the old style OT thwarts, with a larger radius than modern thwarts to be quite comfortable on the butt.

Once you paddle a W/C canoe, you will never again be satisfied with a glass or composite canoe.
The smooth, easy ride in most conditions
is unbeatable I don't want to portage one, but ooohhhh, the ride.

I don't wonder why many people want to have multiple W/C boats to be able to choose which luxurious ride to be able to choose.

Congrats on your W/C canoe!
W/C boat is on my bucket list. Need to create some space first...and switch from collecting pennies to maybe quarters :cool:

Back