• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

​Name on back of PFD?

G

I have friends who paddle with club groups who have their first name or river moniker boldly painted in block letters on the back of their PFD. I can see where that would be useful in a group setting for hollering “Hey Bam Bam, wait up a minute” or “Dammit, Jughead is in a strainer again!”.

Probably equally useful for folks who guide, so their clients aren’t yelling “ Hey. . . . .you . . . .dude . . . .I lost my paddle. . . .”

And I can see some use in having a visible name on the back of my PFD outside of club settings with strangers. A contrasting color might make a drab PFD more visible, and folks met on the water wouldn’t need a mnemonic device to remember my name.

One downside is that would eliminate the opportunity to tell them my name and remind them later when asked again.

“Mike” on first introduction. And if they ask again later “Ebenezer, but call me Ebby” or “Flloyd, with two L’s. It’s easy to remember, it means One with Grey Hair in Welsh”.

And then hear one whisper “Oh crap, I’ve been calling him Mike”

Question is what paint would work best on typical PFD material?

Mike
I do a lot of paddling on Voyageur Canoe Brigades and having name on your pfd (and other stuff) is essential to keep track of it in a large group but also when you are paddling in a canoe with 6 to 8 others you've just met

That said- most just use a permanent Sharpie to add your name.

Bruce

Back