• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

My new Wanigan, unfinished yet!!

No Title

So here is a bit of progress on the waging.... I made a tray for small items, I'm not happy with the craftsmanship on that one, but I'll just pretend it is a prototype....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• photo3056.jpg
    photo3056.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3057.jpg
    photo3057.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
Looks darn functional to me.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

I was thinking about making a tray also. I decided to use a plastic wash bin, at $3 at the variety store it was way faster and lighter than me trying to make the tray. Also doubles as the kitchen sink and washing machine. Only downside was that it took up extra room as its 5" deep.

I like how yours is set up

Jason

Thank you. To be functional it is, but not pretty and functional lol.

The tray is 3" deep by 12 by 13... roughly...
I made it so when the lid is on the waging, the contain of the tray can't spill all over the box... if it is kicked over, or in a capsize situation....

I pretty much designed my box to accept the plastic tub so when my lid is on the tub is also sealed in, not allowing the contents to spill. I don't have dividers though and when I pull it all out it resembles the kitchen junk drawer! Like the kitchen junk drawer, I tend to keep throwing more stuff in it and finding anything is a pain. I will probably attempt a tray with the dividers eventually.

Jason

Nah, pretty is over rated! I would hate to be in charge of Murrat's wannigan out in the woods for the same reason I drive a beater to work in Brooklyn everyday. If it's not pretty it don't hurt as much when it gets beat up a little!

I like it too, I think it looks like a good way to keep things organized. There are plenty of items that will fit under the tray and you have room for the taller items beside it. Nice work Thanks for sharing it.

fetch

I looked at mine and was think about a tray, but I use it for gear storage off season and the tray would cause me to loss too much space. I have two other boxes that I have full of gear both out of 1/4" pine.
Mine weighs 16lbs, not sure why it's heavier cause the measurements are almost identicle 24 x 14 by 11 1/2 deep to match my Chestnuts, maybe the inside frame and varnish...
I love these wannigans, in the canoe and then in the tent, keeps the gear neat, nice table and a spot for the candle in the evening.

Very nice! Wannigans are so cool, but I shudder to think of how heavy they must be on portages.
If anyone is looking for leather tumpline straps, Canadian Outdoor Equipment Co. (www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com) sells them. I can't seem to find them on their website, probably because they're such niche items, but I'm sure if you contacted them directly they'd be able to help you out as I've seen them in-store.

They carry frost river, so the tumpline must be from the same place. I plan on making my own, we'll see.

Robin, that waging look great. And the canoes..... I'm working on my "traditional" kit slowly. A w/c canoe is in the near future!

Cheers

No Title

So to reinforced the corners side and bottom, I did an thickened epoxy filet, first time trying that... We'll see how it does in the long run! Not as clean as I wanted, but ok... Nest time I think I will tape each side of the filet and remove the tape before the epoxy sets( I'm rushing that thing, but it is not my style, usually I take my time and it look better... That must be the ply wood.... I don't like ply wood!!)

Attachments

• photo3060.jpg
    photo3060.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3061.jpg
    photo3061.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
a little epoxy and tape add tremendous strength...did you put any filler in (wood flour, cabo-sill) ?...that also adds strength and cuts down on the amount of $$$ epoxy used. Painters tape is a good deal as you noted, keeps your lines nice and clean. Epoxy is a b...h to sand...open rasp works best for removing the slag before final sanding. 1/4" ply is great for all season use once its sealed. Plenty strong, nice and light.

Yeah, epoxy is messy stuff... that don't look too bad though. I doubt I could've done any better!

Since the edges of the plywood are it's weak point I sealed the top rim of my box with epoxy to keep it from getting chipped from stuffing things in there. Seemed to work okay so far.
Jason

You won't see the epoxy after you have varnished it.

Good looking wanigan. I have the pieces cut for mine but the sewing is keeping me busy right now. It will likely be too cold in my workshop by the time I have the current orders finished. Anyone used the cold cure epoxy?

This waging won't be glassed, just the filet. As for filler, I did use silica, I think it is silica, white fluffy stuff that you dont want to get in your lungs....
I heard that when ever you use filler in epoxy, it actually reduces its strength... I might wrong.

Varnishing is the last step. Unless I want to make it a bit more playful with colours!!

Cheers

. As for filler, I did use silica, I think it is silica, white fluffy stuff that you dont want to get in your lungs....

That's the truth and not an easy thing to avoid. I walk around the shop while stirring to keep from breathing in a cloud of it. I heard a report on the radio a year or so ago that they're getting concerned about all the little bits of plastic balls that are being used in different products as thickeners and abrasives, such as replacing pumice in soaps. Many of the products they're used in are washed down the drain and find their way into water supplies where they'll spend eternity. Some are fine enough they're actually starting to find them in the blood streams of fish. Cabosil immediately came to mind when I heard the story.

I heard that when ever you use filler in epoxy, it actually reduces its strength... I might wrong.

I think it depends on the type of filler. If you're not so concerned about a smooth consistency you can use small bits of milled fiberglass which are supposed to strengthen the epoxy. Not sure how much thickeners like cabosil weaken the joint. They do make it easier to sand. Maybe a moot point because without a thickener you can't make a thick fillet. And a thick fillet is going to be stronger than a skim coat.

Nice looking project so far. Should be handy.

Alan

Last edited:
Thank you Alan! On the environment point, any body here have use or use EcoPoxy?? I'm thinking of switching to that on my next batch of epoxy!

Back