• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Movable work platforms

G

(A concept in development)

One last easily moved platform enhances my boatside manner. I took the wheeled base of an old defunct office chair, removed the trashed chair part and installed a small platform in its place. The wide five wheeled chair base makes it really stable. A most convenient place to set tools and materials near at hand and roll along beside me.

I wish I had used a height adjustable seat for that rolling table, but ya can’t have everything. Although I’m keeping an eye out for another trashed office chair; I have a design idea for an improved platform, and height adjustable would be the bomb.

That wheel-along tool and material platform comes in handy for boat work, especially when only one side bench is available (which is almost always). Walking around the boat back to the bench for some hardware or part is a waste of time, worse when it’s a long wander around a 20 foot canoe, or when there are multiple boats going at once.

I need to reinstall a seat on the 20 footer, and there are nine boats stuffed in the shop for the next few days. That would make for an awkward maze to wander back and forth to get to the bench. Time to get cracking on some easy solution.

The original quickie scrap tool platform was simply the bottom of a junked wheeled chair and top of a small junked table.

PB201362 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

It works, but doesn’t provide much surface area, round isn’t the best geometry and it’s too much work to fashion a circular rim to keep tools from falling off when I wheel the platform about the shop.

PB201364 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

It needs considerable improvement. I have not found a trashed adjustable height office chair. Eh, I haven’t really looked.

What I do have is a little used antiqueish shop chair with long family history, a mid-last-century solid wood office chair. “Little used” because it is now the Munchkin chair; the seat was long ago frozen in place at only 15” high. It was used mostly by the late great shop Coon cat as her padded throne. I miss that most agreeable dust covered shopmate.

PB191348 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Nice solid wood arms, perfect for a split level tag-along tool platform, with some retaining walls and tool slots. Time to look through the scrap wood for what I have on hand.

Ah, a perfect sized piece of laminate flooring for an attractive upper story. And some left over half round scraps for a couple retaining wall basins on the platform top. I would rather have used quarter round, but I found use for the last of that stuff a week ago.

PB191349 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Cut some custom scraps on the underside to grasp the chair arm curves and hold the top securely in place.

PB191352 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Clutter? What clutter? Drilled holes for screwdrivers and etc eliminate the long lanky stuff from the work surface.

PB191357 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Uncut it was a perfectly sized piece of laminate flooring scrap to cover with paper for paint and epoxy work drip coverage upstairs. All the news that’s fit to read, or drip epoxy on.

PB191359 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Hands down better than the little circle platform.

PB201365 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Ooops, one last thing. The top only fits gripping the chair arm curves in one direction, and I have been less than 50% successful just dropping it in place unchecked. It needs some visual clue topside.

PB201368 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I am sure that someone with cabinetry skills could vastly improve on that wheel-along platform work bench, perhaps with a more strategic design to accommodate their customary tools and tasks.

I bet I can too; the Mark I CoonCat© already needs a few more various sized tool holes drilled in strategic spots. Maybe a couple of inner-basin retaining walls to hold the plastic boxes that I use to store small parts (lab pipette tip boxes, destined for the trash).

Humm, maybe a permanent beer coozie holder. Misplacing the danged tape measure is one thing . . . . .

PB211370 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I need to find one more scrap piece of half round, and the 3 ½” hole saw.

A creative, resourceful, tinkerer after my own heart. Often times I find myself spending more time organizing & creating efficiencies within the shop than actually working on the projects they are intended for. Not quite certain what that means???

Back