• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Double Decker Sawhorse Boat Storage

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
To quote Jim Dodd “It isn’t scrap ‘til it is sawdust”. Or minicel shavings.

I have a couple canoe rebuilds in play, one barely begun, one almost finished, and I need to bring a couple temporarily stored-outside hulls back into the shop. The easiest way to accommodate all of them is to build another double-decker sawhorse to augment the one I already have.

PB050002 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I’m not buying more 2x4’s, I’ll use an existing sawhorse and whatever scrap wood I can find. Not quite enough length on a couple pieces of scrap wood; I probably should have sacrificed a virgin 2x4, just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

Using some too short pieces of 2x4 to add a bottom platform to an existing sawhorse was scrap wood-butchery ugly, but double stacker functional.

PB050003 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Sliding the down low boat into place I want a padded cell, so I’m not scraping the edges of the hull. Scrap exercise flooring to the rescue. Gotta love cutting strips of exercise flooring with the band saw; hot knife through butter fun.

PB050013 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I could use a couple of curvaceous minicel wedges to stuff alongside the chines of the decked hulls for more cushioned support. If only I had a giant box of minicel scrap leftover from a kayak manufacturer’s bulkhead cutting.

PB050006 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

A little band saw slice and dice and those will do nicely.

PB050007 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Bottom slot still available.

PB060015 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Those double deckers are of course still functional as regular sawhorses. Heavier than usual, but incredibly sturdy. Note that the bottoms of the legs are angle cut to sit flush on the shop floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back