• Happy National American Red Cross Founder's Day (1881)! 🇨🇭🚑🏥

​More work on the tripping truck

G

I had a good start at it, and refined the truck outfitting over a few trips.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...sions/diy/595-new-tripping-vehicle-outfitting

But I lived in the back of the Tacoma for the month of October while working on a friend’s property in North Carolina and discovered a few things that months of travel had not revealed.

I had been storing clothes/gear in a grey plastic box on the paddle box shelf at the head of the bed. The top of that plastic box made a decent bedside table to hold book, glasses, light etc. But this trip I was able to park beside an electrical outlet and run a clip-on 110v lamp. And on warm nights a small fan.

The box is less than ideal for that use; with the lamp clamped on the hinged lid the surface isn’t level, and I can’t easily access the stuff in the box with stuff piled and attached on top. I need an easily removable open-front box with a raised lip top to hold/clamp my bedside accoutrements. Add to that the clamp on light I had was massively oversized for my needs (and poorly designed; the metal shade and switch both got hot as heck).

I just happen to have the ideal box to reconfigure. I repurposed the locking box I made 30 years ago for my ’84 travelling truck. I already have the locking paddle box and don’t need another.

Easy peasy. Take the hinges and handles off, remove the lid and use it as an open front box with the lid on top. It fits perfectly on the paddle shelf box at the head of the bed.

I carpeted the “nightstand” box, so if I toss and turn up against it is soft and splinter free. I always underestimate the amount of carpet it takes to wrap a box in 3D – I bought twice as much as I thought I needed and had just enough.

New mini 110V clamp light from Home Depot and that takes care of bedside storage and furnishings on the driver’s side. The other side of the bed needs something for organizational help. I use that area for stuff bags, sleeping bags, tent and etc soft stuff, but even with some of the bagged gear held in mini hammocks it quickly becomes a disorganized mess.

I need some organizational stability on that side as well - a shelf running as far back as the ice chest. Same height as the paddle box shelf, so I can slide sheets of plywood or similar into the bed when I need to transport such stuff, but open fronted so I can store and access gear underneath the shelf or on top.

I’m smarter than I look. I saved the paper template for the base of the paddle box shelf. No need to re-measure or make another template for that mirror image.

A couple pieces of poplar, another couple feet of carpet and presto, a custom side storage shelf. Since the top of those side boxes rest atop the wheel wells they are quite sturdily weight bearing.

Both the paddlebox and open front shelf are anchored but easily removable by extracting a couple of screws. The Tacoma bed has indentations in the side walls to accommodate crosspieces of lumber to make a platform. I G/flexed a piece of wood into those indents and the boxes are simply screwed into those wood blocks from the top.

I don’t see myself taking either side shelf out anytime soon, but if necessary I need only extract a couple of screws.

The tripping truck grows more comfortable and functional every trip. It might be time to hit the road again soon and try out the new accommodations.

The tripping truck is about as functionally refined as I can devise without another spate of living under the cap.

The 110V power cord is snugged into the bedrail channel but still movable/removable.

The side storage shelving are racked and stacked, organized and accessible with room to spare.

And all of the soft items stored under the new shelf are bagged and tagged – truck side-tarp and poles that hook onto the roof racks, sliding window screen, summer weight bag, micro fiber sheet and tailgate/cap door “window” screen.

The tag labels on the drawstrings help considerably in pulling the needed bag out from that dark under-shelf space (and putting them back in the correct bag) and I’m slowly adding them to anything that lives in a stuff bag for fast identification.

I feel a road trip coming on.

Mike,
I have always felt that outdoor people should express themselves in their equipment and the mods they make with it. You are doing a good job of it. There is a lot of satisfaction in little things like that table you made.

I had an old Toyota pick up once that came with a fancy canopy on the bed that was covered in carpet and foam. It had a few storage cabinets built in. It was remarkably warmer than a regular steel truck bed with a fiberglass canopy. I slept in it several times in below zero conditions with no problems

For a whole month of living, I would go find a truck camper. There are plenty of older ones that don't cost much. Then you would have furniture, a real bed and lights, maybe a can.

For a whole month of living, I would go find a truck camper. There are plenty of older ones that don't cost much. Then you would have furniture, a real bed and lights, maybe a can.

I lived largely in the back of an ’80’s Hi-Lux long bed with aluminum cap for 18 months and had that system pretty well dialed in. When that truck was replaced by a ’96 extra-cab I set it up pretty much the same way, with a few additions and subtractions.

A true camper top would probably be easier to custom comfortize, but I’m trying to keep the outfitting weight down, the MPG up and the cap top at a level that is easier to load and unload boats.

Truth be told I love sleeping in the back of the truck, snug as a bug, all my needs met within reach at my fingertips.

I have always felt that outdoor people should express themselves in their equipment and the mods they make with it. You are doing a good job of it. There is a lot of satisfaction in little things like that table you made.

My delight at the bedside storage table would be hard to comprehend. It fits perfectly, it works perfectly, even the 110V light or battery op reading lantern are at ideal an height and angle. That the bedside table was made from the old locking box out of my ’84 Hi-Lux is pure pleasing serendipity.

If only there was room for two in the truck bed.

You have room for two! Lol Thanks for posting the mods done as I am just starting to put my Xterra SUV together as a trip vehicle. A very basic set up for me but its a start for right now. I hope you don't mind if I steal a few ideas? Do you have a power converter or extra battery in your truck? Pics of my set up as it is right now. The back bin is an extra large Action Packer for the 4x4 recovery gear and then a smaller one that fits in the foot well to make for a nice extended level spot to sleep. The rest just gets strapped in where there is room for right now. I really would like to do the privacy curtains for when I am stealth camping on road trips.

IMG_2045_zpsd188632e.jpg

IMG_2044_zps3f6a09b4.jpg

Thanks for posting the mods done as I am just starting to put my Xterra SUV together as a trip vehicle. A very basic set up for me but its a start for right now. I really would like to do the privacy curtains for when I am stealth camping on road trips.

Curtains are easy, even for someone who doesn’t sew. I used pillowcases with a small grommet through one side of the pillow case at the end. The curtains hang and slide open/closed on a cord that runs through that grommet and out the open end of the pillow case. Easy peasy quick and inexpensive.

Micro-fiber pillow cases will be less likely to get funky from repeated condensation after sleeping in the vehicle.

Strapping stuff in place is a necessity lest you find your bed covered in a jumble of gear after a spell of driving. There are lots of ways to make attachment points for webbing straps to restrain gear. The simplest is just a length of 1” webbing, folded over with a hole melted through the end, secured inside the vehicle by some existing screw or bolt. Straps with fastex buckles are much more convenient than ladder locks for that kind of gear restraint, and those are cheap and easy to DIY in custom lengths with fastex buckles and ladder locks

Road trip living in a vehicle shares a lot with the tiny house movement. My tripping truck is my teeny tiny house, and the key to happiness there is organization.

It is hard to envision what will work all at once, and impossible without spending a few nights testing the mobile sleeping quarters. I bedded down in the truck at home on occasion while doing the initial outfitting, so I was close to my shop and tools and could easily make and test modifications..

I’ve got several months living in my current tripping truck, and after every trip (well, during every trip) I discover additional outfitting that makes it more comfortable, efficient and organized.

Do you have a power converter or extra battery in your truck?

To answer your question, no, not yet.

I ran a deep cycle marine battery in my previous trucks and had halogen lights hard wired to that.

I’ve been making do with a battery-op reading lantern thus far, with a three plug extension cord run down the side of the bed for times when I’m near an electrical outlet.

But the ability to remotely power a small 110V light or fan looks more appealing all the time.

I’d like to find some all-in-one 12V rechargeable battery pack and 110V inverter, basically just a smallish battery box with 110V receptacles I could recharge off the truck while driving.

I know nothing about such devices. Ideas?

I’ll still use the extension cord when I’m near a receptacle, and it is nice to have along for the occasional cheap motel where you get a single 110V outlet in the room.

I have been told that a pure sine wave inverter is the way to go if you are trying to charge/run electronics etc --- http://gpelectric.com/products/pure-sine-wave-inverters and http://waveinverterreviews.com/ I like the idea of a remote power supply that can be charged with a 12v system. I will have to check that out!

I am personally looking for a low power draw 12volt fan for the warmer days! A nice LED light would be sweet to on a adjustable gooseneck mount

I do value the ability to tie stuff down as I do get on some interesting trails while looking for new canoe routes and lake systems to access. Next year will be wickedly fun! Most of my tie in points will be rated for a heavy pull from the gear so it will stay in place in case of a rollover etc. I have lots of left over climbing webbing that I can tie into the seatbelt anchors and floor mounts etc. My driving will be interesting after a few more mods to the truck--- http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...s-trip-reports

I really like the pillow case curtains! I will have to check that out when I am next in the stores! That would be perfect for my needs as I can't sew at all.

Thanks so much for sharing the ideas and pictures!

And a pic to shake things up! Lol

IMG_1586_zpsf32c55bb.jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea of a remote power supply that can be charged with a 12v system. I will have to check that out!

I’ve been looking. The choices seem to be between portable power supplies (overkill size and cost) and a jump box with 110V capacity/receptacle.

We keep a charged jump box in the elderly Ford Van; it has jumper cables but nothing else (some have lights, compressors, etc).

This fancier jump box looks to be a likely candidate.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-600-Watt-Powerpack-Pro/dp/B009YR00MI/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

The size and weight are acceptable, but I can buy a lot of batteries for $172 and I believe I read that it would take 40 hours to recharge off a car battery.

I’m sure there is a way to install a separate sealed battery and inverter in the truck bed, hard wired to recharge while the truck is being driven, but I’d prefer an easily removable KISS system.

I do value the ability to tie stuff down as I do get on some interesting trails while looking for new canoe routes and lake systems to access. Next year will be wickedly fun! Most of my tie in points will be rated for a heavy pull from the gear so it will stay in place in case of a rollover etc. I have lots of left over climbing webbing that I can tie into the seatbelt anchors and floor mounts etc. My driving will be interesting after a few more mods to the truck--- http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...s-trip-reports

And a pic to shake things up! Lol

IMG_1586_zpsf32c55bb.jpg

You know, if you rollover you will need a new canoe and I doubt MPI would cover the boat or truck during off road use. My insurance company back in Ontario wiaved coverage once I got off road.

I'm not sure if you've been to expeditionportal.com or not. They have forums there and all kinds of folks traveling, camping and living out of all sorts of vehicles. You may see some products you didn't know existed, I know I have.

Neat ideas for sure. Makes me miss my white Tacoma.

I'd love to buy a Tacoma. I don't have $40,000. Yes, it would have to be 4 wheel drive which is about mandatory out here. I do have a 1990 Toyota Hilux pickup, 4x4 that is paid for. The original intent was to make that our tripping truck but it gets worse fuel economy than my 2004 Toyota Highlander (which I'm still paying for) and the pickup is V6 with 5 speed, the Highlander V6 with Auto and it is intelligent 4x4 as well. Maybe, as the Highlander requires more and more repairs the Hilux will make more sense.

You know, if you rollover you will need a new canoe and I doubt MPI would cover the boat or truck during off road use. My insurance company back in Ontario wiaved coverage once I got off road.

MPI must provide the coverage for the vehicle as they don't allow for private insurance, as the sole insurance provider they need to provide complete coverage. The canoe would be covered under the home insurance plan so two deductibles in total. Best plan is not to roll too many times! I do have a "few" years in the 4x4ing so I can keep it right side up for the most part!

Your Highlander would have as much or more room for the interior camping etc. Just need to organize the gear etc. I just wanted/needed something more off-road capable than the Outlander I had previous to this Xterra. If you are just looking to get down easy logging roads etc the Highlander would be great and comfy too! Just don't start driving over rock ledges etc or you will notice the lack of ground clearance.

Ideas like the second power supply and all the creature comforts etc. are best when spending a huge amount of time in the truck. I am still learning the basics of truck camping but do have a list of wants for the slow nights in the rain etc. A Ipad with a few movies and music would be great for entertainment and it has a 10hr battery that can charge off the factory USB port in my truck. Inverters etc are for the larger items like laptops etc. Thats when a second battery might be good insurance!

Mike- one more question if I can? What adhesive did you use for the carpet?

Mike- one more question if I can? What adhesive did you use for the carpet?

I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. And after that ½"” staples. Once stapled I tap them into the carpet with a hammer and they disappear into the nap.

I’m not certain if the Super 77 alone would hold the carpet long term.

Mike, Have you ever slept in the back while the truck is moving, like on a long distance team effort, just wondering how it would work out with your set up.

I have almost the same truck, back in the day I slept 80 nights a year for 3 years under my cap, (my job moved 100 miles away), saved alot of money but I never really made any improvements like you and some nights where never ending, nice ideas and workmanship.

My last trip I spent 3 nights in motels, and ate out too, probably spent $400 extra. Even if I took some of your ideas and made my sleeping quarters under the cap a little more comfortable, I could save alot which could go for gas.

Thanks for posting this.

Many, many times.

On this spring’s trip out west we drove non-stop to Palo Duro Canyon in Texas on the way out, and non-stop from Moab to Baltimore on the way back. We had no desire to stop anywhere east of the Mississippi and even less desire to shell out $’s for a night in a motel.

We had gear for 2 people for 7 weeks and, since we were paddling on separate permits, a 30L and 60L barrel and duplicates of every tent, tarp, stove and toilet-system.

My previous trucks saw the same non-stop shift driver action every summer heading to and from the Rockies. From the mid-Atlantic area to pretty much anywhere in the Rockies is 40 hours or less if driven straight through.

I don’t much like motel rooms, and even when visiting someone’s home I’d rather sleep in the back of my truck in the driveway than in their guest room, especially if I’m planning a pre-dawn getaway.

I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. And after that ½"” staples. Once stapled I tap them into the carpet with a hammer and they disappear into the nap.

I’m not certain if the Super 77 alone would hold the carpet long term.

Awesome! Thanks

My last trip I spent 3 nights in motels, and ate out too, probably spent $400 extra. Even if I took some of your ideas and made my sleeping quarters under the cap a little more comfortable, I could save alot which could go for gas.

I’m in a rambling mood and I’m gonna respond to that again, as cross-country travel is near and dear to my soul. I’ve been out and back to the Rockies or the west coast near 20 times now, most of those trips living frugal in a truck with cap. That sure was fun back when gas was cheap and so, by necessity, was I.

Some random thoughts on cost saving cross-country travel stuff, beyond the advantage of setting up functional gear storage and a comfortable bed that you can climb into at will.

Free accommodations – Maybe they are getting harder to find, or maybe I am getting pickier. In my younger years when driving cross country solo I would sleep in rest areas, truck stops and sometimes secluded wide spots along back roads. Nowadays I’d rather pay for a reasonably priced State Park than pull off in some maybe dicey spot, even if I’m only there for a few hours or overnight.

I would prefer something “primitive” and cheap, not fancy bath houses, a Frisbee golf course and RV pads with the neighbor’s generators going 10 feet away on either side.

There are cheap, sometimes free, camping areas that offer the (lack of) amenities I prefer. Parked beside a western river or along the edge of some escarpment. Up a dirt road in a National Forest often works well. Discovering where they are is trickier. The best of those places are loosely held secrets and often as not I’ve been turned on to the next one by kindred spirits met in the last one.

Stopping at the Nat’l Forest office in a town before driving into the green zone and picking up a Forest Service map and advice can be invaluable, especially if the FS guys are forthcoming with suggestions. Best foot forward.

Showers – I know that sounds minor, but if you’ve been on the road for a few days living rough a shower is a wonderful thing, worthy of another 12 hour driving shift.

How a body gets so grimy just sitting and driving is a mystery. I once prided myself on never paying for a shower. I’d just stroll nonchalantly into a camping-area bath house from outside the gate at some State Park. Hint: carry your change of clothes, towel and soap in an old camera bag and bird-watch on the way in. No one will bother you

Or I’d ask where I could cadge a shower on a college campus (probably not without security showing up at my age).Or if it was warm enough just a pull off by a river (not always the warmest experience).

Today I’d rather plan a route and stops that includes visiting a State Park with amenities or a friend’s home along the way every couple or three days, just to get refreshed and reorganized.

Timing - I try to avoid cities or gawd-awful metro-area beltways at rush hour. That is easy enough to do with a little forethought and departure/stop time planning. If I get off-schedule bulloxed along the way I’ll find some interesting place 100 miles outside town and stop there for a spell. I’d rather spend 2 hours paddling around some little lake or reorganizing the truck than sitting stuck in traffic. I’m trying my best to get away from Syphilization.

Stopover planning – The web has made that investigation much, much easier. I’ll look over my proposed route on a detailed State map, pick out every interesting place along the way, from State Park to Nat’l Forest/Nat’l Monument to Wildlife Refuge and have a looksee at them on the web. If a place looks promising I’ll print out the pertinent info and bring it along. Paper doesn’t take up much room.

The DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer State Maps are a godsend. Those do begin to take up some room when I bring a half dozen of them, but they are worth the volume, especially when I end up deviating from a plan or route. I’ve probably saved 10 times their $20 a pop cost by having them available for where should I go now reference. BTW, those DeLorme maps fit perfectly in a Xerox paper box lid for organizational purposes.

“Freestyling” – My term for deviating from the expected journey. Sometimes I really don’t want to follow a plan or route, much less a schedule. If the weather forecast sucks or I’m just not feeling the vibe I’ll wanderlust. A day’s driving shift or two will get me far away to a different place. Best of that – I was in NW Montana with a friend and she intimated that she would rather be somewhere warm and sunny. A couple days later we were in SE Arizona, and the drive down the length of the Rockies was fantastic.

Shift driving – I know it is risky and I need to seriously trust the other driver, so it is a small pool of possible companions. But 30 hours vs 3 days and shared expenses to get out west and back? I’ll still risk that.

There are cheap airfare opportunities to drop off or pick up a driver companion along the way. Flying into Las Vegas is cheap, provided you ignore the enticements of the Strip. El Paso for some reason is often inexpensive as well. Having a shift driver along at some point greatly simplifies the long journey to or from mountains, deserts and low population density elbow room.

Coffee thermos – The answer to “How much to fill this up?” at a convenience store is usually “Same as a large cup”. Undoubtedly the best bang for buck on the road, and if I fill it up before stopping for the night I’m good to go at ODarkThirty without stumbling around digging out the stove. I’ll drive for an hour and find a diner.

Food – I segregate my tripping and truck camping food. Some tripping edibles are harder to find/make along the road and I’d rather consume the easier replenished stuff first. I probably keep a couple weeks worth of food in the truck at any one time, including an accessible container of easily replenished snacky food. If I feel the urge to head off on a trip or simply find some spellbinding place and want to sit for a few days, I won’t go hungry.

And of course breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Or at least the cheapest, no matter what time of day. I do love me an inexpensive country diner serving all-day breakfast, eavesdropping on the local culture while seated next to the geezer table. Count the calendars on the wall.

Laundry – Laundromat obviously. But it pays to bring a small container of detergent from home rather than futz with broken vending machines that refuse to dispense overpriced detergent. I use a designated dirty clothes stuff bag so I don’t have to sniff-test underwear to see if it’s still wearable. Yeah, that was probably too much information.

State Taxes – On long trips I print out the current gas tax chart. Sometimes that economizing involves eeking out the last of a ¼ tank to get across State lines, or filling up when the tank is still half full before crossing over into a high tax State.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/GB_Price_List.aspx

With gas being a major and unavoidable expense that simple exercise can make a significant difference in overall trip cost. Yeah, well, ya know, I print out the State liquor taxes as well. Don’t buy beer in Utah.

Water – OK, water is free. But it isn’t always palatable, or even readily available. In areas with scarce or poor tasting water (oceanside, desert, etc) I pay the weight penalty and travel with a full 5 gallon carboy, strapped down accessibly near the tailgate. If I think I’m going to hang out in some waterless desert locale I’ll supplement that with filled dromedaries and use those first.

I have been using the same 5 gallon Nalgene Carboy for 30 years. It has a big screw-on gasketed top and a valve tap at the bottom, with a comfortably padded DIY handgrip on the bail (40 lbs of water is heavy on the hand, especially if you have to carry it far). The gasketed screw top seals it tightly enough that it will stop dispensing water after a quart or so if not opened a bit.

Back in the day when it was more common to see cars on the side of the road with a radiators boiling over people thought I was the second coming when I opened the cap and walked up lugging 5 gallons of water. Any hard sided water container with a tap works better when strapped in place than dromedary bags or those floppy plastic things that inevitably leak.

Preparedness - I bring an extensive boat and gear repair kit in the truck (and sometimes on paddling trips), and a well-stocked group first aid kit, even when it’s just me. And other survival stuff I have always carried.

But some Canoe Tripping replies from a “What to bring” discussion a few years ago suggested some preparedness stuff I wouldn’t have thought of, like a spare head-net and boonie hat, work gloves and a laminated jack stand (Thanks Oldie).

I probably tend towards overkill on the “emergency” equipment that lives in the tripping truck, but it is surprising how often I use some item from those stashes (the Tacoma has four molded-in compartments perfect for segregating and storing that stuff).

Reprising that list (which is on an indexed “What is where” list in the truck visor) in two parts; those things I’ve used in the last year:
Tool kit, 10 foot 3-outlet extension cord, 20 foot extension cord, 120V light, 110V fan, 12V float bag pump, spare rope, padlock & cables, tire jack (not for the Tacoma), Fix-a-flat (ditto), 12V tire compressor (ditto ditto), work gloves, jumper cables (someone else battery), shovel, duct tape.
And what I haven’t yet needed or used (but wouldn’t travel without):
Tire patch kit, road flares, towing cable and chain (almost used), red flags, rags, carabeeners, hose clamps, head net, Boonie hat, nylon day pack, coat hanger, bolt cutters, hacksaw, hatchet, laminated jack stand, fire extinguisher. All of that except the last two fit in a small plastic box.
Tire chains – They are heavy as heck and don’t come on every trip, but they are a comfort with a 2WD truck. I should probably practice putting them on someday before trying to do so in a foot of snow.

Thanks to everyone’s suggestions on that preparedness thread. Y’all nailed it.

I do feel a trip coming on.

Last edited:
The tripping truck continues to see minor improvement with each trip. Most recent tweaks to the tiny travelling house:

A trash can. Yeah, I know that sounds stupid, but I generate trash both while driving (coffee cups, food wrappers, etc) and while ensconced in the bed (Kleenex, snack wrappers, juice bottles). The trash can is nothing more than a large plastic coffee tub, which is plenty big enough for a day’s drive or night’s sleep, and I’m not collecting trash off the passenger floor or finding it nestled in cracks and crevices a week later.

Also eliminates the last drops of coffee or juice besmearing my floormats or bedding. Sometimes it is the simplest things.

A thin sleeping pad. A WallyWorld pad (not the ubuquitos blue pads, but a two layer thing with a slightly waffled surface), stuck under the 4 inch thick foam pad. The thick foam pad is plenty comfy, but the slight waffle texture on the ½ inch thick underpad traps all of the cold weather body moisture. I just pull that pad out in the morning and it dries much faster than the thick open cell mattress pad.

ID tags on all stuff bags. I upgraded the DIY laminated tags with plastic key ring tags. With 3 sleeping bags, a microfiber sheet, two clothes bags, a dirty clothes bag and etc all in stuff bags or ditty sacks some easy & durable identification is a huge boon in organization. And especially re-organization.

An oversized stuff bag. I like to restuff my sleeping bag in the morning after airing it out, but the stuff bag or compression bag it was originally crammed into is not worth the effort if I am using it again the following night in the tripping truck. I found a gigantic (thin nylon) stuff bag, 28 x 22. Even the massive synthetic 0F sleeping bags stuffs in that with minimal effort. Probably better for the sleeping bag to be less compressed when storage space is not a requirement.

I stuff my sleeping bag every morning while tent camping as well. I may start bring that oversize stuff sack when base camped while tripping. That thin stuff bag has seen better days, and a similar sized sil-nylon stuff sack would be even easier to stuff.

Any ideas of a source for a giant sil-nylon stuff bag?

(Don’t even say sewing)

Back