• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Moose River Bow - Attean to Holeb Portage

Reaction score
Thinking about doing the Bow trip in May. In the past we have used an outfitter to take us to Holeb Pond, but this time we are planning to avoid the shuttle and paddle up Attean to the portage trail. So how bad is that portage? Can you use a cart? I remember the shorter portage around Holeb Falls having lots of rocks and roots. Sounds like the portage between Attean and Holeb is the same.

Its levelish and wet. There is bog bridging on some of it. I didn't have a cart back then but recall it being two planks wide. Its been a while. I would think a cart would be a challenge. In high water I use the snowmobile trail to the south but that involves a climb several hundred feet up and potentially crossing several washed out gullies about eight feet deep.
I have seen people use the Guilford RR tracks.. Not a good idea.
Rocks and roots are expected.. The portage is used by a lot of groups. But not so much in May.

these people new to canoe travel differ in their opinion http://untamedmainer.com/canoeing-moose-river-loop-bow-trip-day-2/

I'm a hard core portage carter, but I carried my boat on this trail not that long ago. On my 2nd trip I had 2 full sized coolers (not mine) on my packframe. So heavy I couldn't set the load down for a breather. That's why some people start at Holeb and save the portage for the end of the trip. Plus you get a headstart on the campsite races in Holeb Pond.

I did the portage in May several years ago. I brought a cart and found it too wide for the area with planks. I would not bring a cart again. The biggest mistake I made was assuming I could use a cart and not planning how I was going to carry my gear, which made the portage much harder than it should have been. On top of that I brought a very heavy canoe. I came out of the trip looking like I had the measles because of black flies, so I suggest planning for that also. It was a great trip though and I had a lot of fun, so don't let me discourage you.

Mid week trip, so I don't think we 'll have a lot of competition for campsites.

I was there on Memorial Day weekend a couple of years ago and the black flies were brutal. Long sleeves and a head net helped, but a smokey fire helped more.

Probably paddle tandem - I have a Spirit II in kevlar that is pretty light. more concerned about my tendency to pack everything but the kitchen sink. ;-)

One time I saw an abandoned cart on the portage trail where it crosses a logging road. The cart owner might have thought he would drive in for it, but that road is quite gated.

Although it's long and not wheelable, it's a fairly easy walking trail, expecially compared to the Holeb Falls trail which has some steep bare rock sections that are tricky when wet.

The full trip is really a sacrament and you'll be glad you did it. Just avoid kitchen sinks and large coolers.

Tip toe through the tulips or so to speak.. 23 lb canoe. One pass. Over the snowmobile trail. That year was high water and the usual trail was underwater enough not to be walkable but not to be paddleable either.

Back