• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Monument Hunting

Reaction score
My favorite time for an Adirondack adventure is as soon after ice-out as possible. It is likely that I'm antsy after a long winter, but in early spring, before the buds unfurl, the lay of the land is visible, there are things to be seen that in any other season could be missed. On page 369 of the 1904, annual report by the State Engineer and Surveyor of the State of New York there begins a description on the placement of iron I-beam markers that define the county boundary progressing east from the Great Corner. I have used that information to plot, the best I can, some of their locations.

I just completed a five-day paddlewhacking adventure that roughly followed the southern border of St. Lawrence County between Lows Lake and it's intersect with the East Branch Oswegatchie. I was successful in finding four of these monuments. I should point out that the turn of the century surveyors had miss identified the Oswegatchie, calling it the Robinson and that there was a whole lot more than rusty iron posts to captivate my interest. I hope this link will allow some to share my experiences. I apologize to any for whom it does not.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.conkli...40?pnref=story

I already read through this from your Facebook post but, dammit, I couldn't resist burning some work time here reading it again. Thanks, Conk!

Back