• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

MAS epoxy

Reaction score
I used MAS on my latest Osprey build, and this summer I have finally put it into some tripping situations. I have run some good whitewater, dragged over some gravel, had a few bumps, the usual stuff. I have already had three fractures of the outside glass right to the wood. There hasn't been any abuse that should have caused this, so I'm thinking the MAS is the culprit.

My normal builds use system 3 clearcoat as wet out and then another system three product for fill. I've never experienced the damage I am currently seeing, unless I really smacked something. Thoughts? Anyone else use MAS?

I used MAS epoxy to build a CLC stitch and glue kayak. That was back in the mid 1990s but it worked fine and has held up well. I do prefer West System epoxy.

I am using MAS on my latest stripper.
It works great, and is crystal clear.

Time will tell, but the resin left overs in the mix cups, does seem a little brittle, compared to the RAKA I've used (350 hardener).

Jim

Like pblanc, I've only used it on plywood kayaks (which haven't been subjected to the same abuse my canoes get) so I hadn't noticed any problems.

I am using MAS on my skiff build, which has not yet been banged over rocks. I have used it on other boat parts over the years and have found it to be easy to work with and reliable.

MAS is the primary epoxy included in Chesapeake Light Craft kits. It is a quality product.

There are two varieties of MAS resin. Low viscosity is for coating and fiberglassing; this is probably what you used. FLAG (Filleting, Laminating, and Gluing) resin is slightly thicker and used to stick stuff together.

Mem, I think the older we get, the more abusive we are to our canoes !
I don't always see the rocks I used to !
They should be respectful, and get out of My way ! Ha !

Currently building two canoes. One a Stripper, the other a Kevlar copy. I glassed the Stripper with MAS resin, and slow hardener.
The Kevlar, is being built with RAKA 127 resin, and 350 Non blush hardener.

Both epoxies are relatively the same viscosity, and fill the cloth weave the same.
The MAS is crystal clear, and dries harder than the RAKA.

I have been sanding both. The Stripper has had about a month to cure, the Kevlar, two and a half weeks.

I found sanding the RAKA, was much easier, faster, and getting by with 120 grit.
Sanding the MAS required more than twice the time, and I had to use 80 grit.

I'm not posting this as to which one is better ! Just to point out the differences I experienced !

Jim

Back