• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Mail Order Paddle Length

Do you already have a Zaveral paddle? As Turtle mentioned you can order with the handle unglued, then trim the shaft a little bit at a time using a hacksaw until it feels perfect. Zav's are great paddles and they also give you an option where you can order by mail and still expect a perfect fit.

Blackfly, once you have elicited an approximate shaft length Gumpus recommendation of a Zaveral may be your best bet, at least for purchasing a paddle sight unseen and unheld. I don’t know anyone unhappy with their Zav.

ZRE offers a choice of “Factory Second” on their flatwater and rec paddle selection forms; nothing functionally wrong with those, just cosmetic blems.

http://www.zre.com/zre-paddles/

These designer paddles are great, but finding the correct size is impossible unless you live near a dealer or the factory. I guess it would have to be a side trip on a vacation or something.

I’m not sure I’d call them “designer” paddles, they don’t sport Louis Vuitton logos or Gucci imprints; they’re just really well made and well designed paddles.

Zaveral is in Wells Bridge NY and GRB in Canton NY. Levas est au Québec.

Might be a future vacation road trip stop off.

I bought my Zav using their fit guide
If it doesnt work for you just exchange it
I did everything by mail

Seat Hight and boat volume affect the distance to the water. I have found I am very sensitive to paddle length. I use different lengths in different boats.

Ok, I remeasured and I have about a 33" grip using Grumpus' technique, which make sense with a 19" blade, it's right in that zone for my other solo paddles. I'm leaning real hard to a 45.75" 12 degree Z WW paddle, which has about a 12.75" blade (33"+12.75"). Does that make sense? This is a lot of money for a paddle, I don't want to totally screw it up.

33" sounds about right for an average height guy. I am 6' tall, and depending on a bunch of factors already mentioned, I will use anything from a 48" to a 53" 11-12 degree bent GRB paddle that I have in my fleet, each for a different configuration of boat, style of paddling, gear load, partner, etc. I measure around 34-35" with the bent arm overhead paddle sizing technique.

Last edited:
I just wouldnt over worry I use a 33.5 inch shaft
I am 5'5"
Paddling with a dowel pure forward strokes the waterline is that distance from the top end
I can paddle with a 32.5 inch to 34.5 inch shaft without getting unconfy
You mention designer paddle. Long ago I paid $500 and waited a year for a Quimby
It is the Lamborghini of paddles and would go for 1 k
now
Could it go tripping? yes Is it a wise use. no
The Zav always goes
Its 23 years old and still going
Pennies. or Farthings oer use

I'm all for utility, durability, and practicality. Not much for fads or marketing. I'm also cautious, which means I'm calling ZRE to make my order, just to be sure the length is right. Hope it gets here before my boat. The streams will actually have to recede a little before I can test drive the new ride there. I may have to go to the lake just to get her wet.

I have never used a Powercurve
Where did you get the idea Zavs are a fad?
I wouldn't hesitate to order another except I have no need to
My 1996 Zav is just fine

Boy you like to put words in people's mouths, doncha pilgrim?

The point is I'm aware there are those things out there, and due diligence is required. But that's ok, let it mean whatever you want it to. :)

I hope I love this paddle as much as you.

Not anything on the blade edge to protect it from rocks?

Last edited:
Solo canoe preference is a very individual thing, single blade paddles are an even more individual thing. Most solo canoe paddlers have different preferences and they are all right. If you can wait, why not get a cheap used paddle to use until you get a chance to try various types and lengths? I have bought some very highly regarded (and expensive) paddles and sold them because I didn't like them. In my paddle group, we trade paddles (and boats) a lot-very educational.

The point is I'm aware there are those things out there, and due diligence is required. But that's ok, let it mean whatever you want it to. :)

I hope I love this paddle as much as you.

Nope but I try not to hit them on purpose
Transporting paddles in the back of a vehicle is the hardest thing on them
I can crochet paddle bags but have not for the Zav

Ok, the deed is done. I did the best I could getting a length. I ordered a 49.5" paddle. If anything, it may be long and I can cut it down a scoshe. Thanks for all the help.

Just don't hit rocks. Never use a high quality paddle (either wood or carbon) on shore or in shallows in the dirt or sand/gravel as a push or pry stick to push yourself from away from the shore. Don't rest your paddle on the ground while standing like so many people like to do (put the blade tip on your foot if you must hold it that way). An occasional accidental touch on a rock while paddling in shallows doesn't usually do any harm. Over time carbon paddle blade edges may become a little rough; a light sanding with a medium grit sandpaper will fix that. Don't let the grip or tip of a spare paddle lay in grit on the bottom of a canoe. When not in use, transport or keep the paddle in a fabric sleeve of some kind (expensive to buy but easy to make yourself).

Last edited:
In British Columbia, where Kathleen and I did most of our canoeing, we mostly paddled on glacial streams and rivers filled with rocks. Hitting rocks with one’s paddle was a forgone conclusion. We quickly replaced our wooden paddles with Harmony Perception paddles, which now have nicely rounded blades. It’s never bothered us. We do not have storage or transportation sleeves. Didn’t know until just now that I needed them!

Reading this thread, though, is starting to make me feel guilty! On the other hand, we still have those paddles, and they work well for us. In fact, in 1988, we found a wooden paddle washed up on the bank of the Klondike River. Not sized for us, but we still use it because it works.

It has been my observation, perhaps incorrect, that most recreational paddlers’ performance is limited more by skills rather than equipment.

Very high end paddling? Now that’s a different story. Kathleen and I were never elite paddlers, nor did we aspire to be. We just wanted to paddle wilderness rivers, which we have done, including some very challenging rivers. We did size those Harmony Perceptin paddles, though and cut the shaft to fit. Ideal for our tandem paddling, but not for our solo paddling. I did eventually break down to get a longer paddle for white water soloing. It did help me to reach the bow more easily.

There is no one best paddle, as others have observed.

Transporting paddles in the back of a vehicle is the hardest thing on them
I can crochet paddle bags but have not for the Zav

When not in use, transport or keep the paddle in a fabric sleeve of some kind (expensive to buy but easy to make yourself).

Vehicle transport can be tough on paddles. Shuttle trailers with the metal mesh are the worst. I have posted this inexpensive solution before, but a $7 rifle sock works well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GUN-SOCK-...ICONE/37380581

I use Remington gun socks. Here’s a 4-pack for $25

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-pack?a=606319

When we family trip we usually have four take-apart doubles and four singles. 12 paddle pieces total. They all fit in a padded (double) ski bag and I can carry them all at once to and from the van.

Spring is coming, and the clearance discounters (Steep & Cheap, REI Outlet Deal of the Day, etc) will be selling ski bags or snowboard bags at 50% off. The least expensive one I see right now on Steep & Cheap is 59 x 13 x 6 inch camo bag for $40. Come spring the hideous unsold floral print bags will be cheaper.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/burton...5BXzIwMTkwMjEy

Don't rest your paddle on the ground while standing like so many people like to do (put the blade tip on your foot if you must hold it that way).

When I slide on a gun sock I start with the blade end first (the material is very stretchy) and I do the reverse of that, I put the grip on top my shoe and pull the sock over the blade. Blade edges will get scarred in paddling use, but I really don’t want the grip scraped up.

A gun sock or snowboard bag is cheap insurance when transporting a $200+ paddle. Any paddle.

When I slide on a gun sock I start with the blade end first (the material is very stretchy) and I do the reverse of that, I put the grip on top my shoe and pull the sock over the blade. Blade edges will get scarred in paddling use, but I really don’t want the grip scraped up.

A gun sock or snowboard bag is cheap insurance when transporting a $200+ paddle. Any paddle.
Good tip on the gun socks, thanks. My wife does lot of sewing and has all kinds of left over fabric, so she has made all of my paddle covers at no (real) cost to me.

My mouth actually dropped when I once witnessed an "instructor" suggest that instead of resting the blade tip of a paddle in the sand, to put the grip down. arrrgghhh.

My mouth actually dropped when I once witnessed an "instructor" suggest that instead of resting the blade tip of a paddle in the sand, to put the grip down. arrrgghhh.

I have some personal peccadilloes about paddles and use gun socks even on our inexpensive wood sticks. The pricey carbon stuff and hand-made wood paddles always get some travel protection.

The most overpowering of those peccadilloes is a phobia about paddles left lying flat on the ground; I know that someone, maybe me, is gonna step on that. Especially if left on the ground beside the canoe at a busy launch or landing.

Carbon paddles are plenty tough; a friend’s wife backed the car over a carbon shaft and with some DIY repairs it is still in use. My (perhaps unreasonable) concern with a carbon blade (or a bent shaft) is when I need to use the paddle to push off a landing or push across a shallows. I always have a beefier spare paddle, and sometimes a short push pole, and abuse those instead.

I have cracked several laminated wood blades on rocks while paddling, or more often while backpaddling. I have never (knock polyacrylonitrile rayon for no-jinx luck) split a carbon fiber blade.

I have only broken one carbon blade. While racing in a rocky section of the Grasse River in far northern NY, I believe I simply caught it in a split in a rock or in a crevice between two rocks and levered it to split the blade horizontally. Luckily I carried a spare and was able to continue in the race. Later, Gene Newman (GRB) repaired it with a new layer of carbon so now that paddle has become one of my spares. It still functions perfectly as good as new, but has added just a little extra weight.

Back