• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Mail Order Paddle Length

Reaction score
Ok, this is probably a way too complicated topic to do this way, but here goes. I have no access to a couple paddles I'm interested in buying. I can mail order them, but without holding them, I don't know what length is ideal. I'm looking at 2 carbon fiber paddles (maybe 3). I'm 5'9" and will be paddling in a solo boat, primarily rivers (CII max), but an occasional lake jaunt. I sit on a web seat. If you are of similar statue and usage, tell me what length paddle you prefer. BTW, I'm looking at the Werner Bandit (maybe Algonquin) and the BB Black Pearl. I have a couple 52-56" paddles, but they are lake paddles, used with tandem boats, or have beavertail blades.

Go by SHAFT length, not overall length--that's what matters.

Hello, my name is stripperguy and I’m a 5’9” welterweight
I have many 48” overall length bent shafts that I use for all waters
Blades are 8” x 20”
This is just right for the seated and kneeling paddling that I do on varied waters
hope that helps to guide you

There are as many ways to measure and opinions as there are paddlers.
1. Get a broomstick, sit on a chair or on your boat seat with the stick on the seat between your legs pointing straight up as you sit straight. Where the stick comes to your nose (some say chin) is the shaft length for you.

2. hold a broom over your head with arms to your sides, elbows making right angles going up. One hand will be on the grip the other will be at the throat (where the shaft joins the blade). The distance between your hands is the shaft length for you.

3. Ultimately for the best way, get or borrow several paddles of different lengths. Paddle with them one at a time for at least 20 minutes, ideally in different conditions of calm water, waves, wind ,and water depth while performing various strokes for speed and maneuvering. The one that feels the best and is most comfortable for you to make the canoe move as you like is the paddle for you. Blade shape and design may be an additional factor affecting the best choice of shaft length.

Seat height and gunwale height makes a difference too. I am 6' and use paddle lengths anywhere from 48" to 53", depending on which canoe I am in and whether I am solo, bow or stern, and whether recreationally padding or racing and to some extent who I am paddling with.

Last edited:
You might wait until spring, or whenever you can get out, and use a few different sizes of paddles that you borrow from friends or a local canoe livery. Then you’ll be sure you have the right length.

"the stick on the ground" method is worse than useless, as it measures two things, neither of which is really crucial- the length of your torso and length of your neck. the second way "arms at 90 degrees over head" is slightly better, at least it's measuring the length of your upper arms and width of your torso, which will give you and approximation of your reach but doesn't take into account your position or rotation. It'll get you in the ball park +-4" or so. By far the best way is to get to a paddle shop with a seamstress' tape, try a crap load of paddles sitting down, and then measure which ones put your fingertip at or just above the waterline.

Could you order them uncut with the grip not attached? Or maybe just order them long, I've shortened a Werner Bandit and it wasn't a huge deal.

Sit in your canoe or simulate doing that, With your top arm parallel to the water, the blade should be just submerged. Longer of shorter blades can change the overall length greatly, which is why you should ignore overall length and concentrate on shaft length. Think an otter tail vs a ZRE paddle. I ordered a ZRE paddle uncut with the grip not attached and cut it to length-easy. I have also lengthened/shortened wood paddles, but that is not easy.

Last edited:
the problem is the water is frozen
Shaft length is key
And shaft length depends on position in boat as well as your stature
I have shafts from 25 inches to 33.5
The idea os that none of the shaft is underwater and all the blade is underwater
Sometimes river trippers want a little longer paddle to allow for blade inmersiin on cross strokes

Unless you custom order from a local manufacturer, paddles as advertised rarely routinely give shaft length dimensions. Most times you buy a new paddle by overall length and get the shaft length that comes with it. Especially with bent shaft paddles, the blades tend to be of fairly standardized dimensions and overall paddle length is set by shaft length. Not so much with straight paddles that may have very different varieties of blade shape width and length dimensions in addition to shaft length.

Hey Black Fly. Do you already have a Zaveral paddle? If you are in the market for 2-3 carbon paddles and don't have a Zav I strongly recommend that you get one. As Turtle mentioned you can order with the handle unglued, then trim the shaft a little bit at a time using a hacksaw until it feels perfect. Zav's are great paddles and they also give you an option where you can order by mail and still expect a perfect fit. They offer several lay-ups and blade types so maybe you should get two. A straight shaft Zav is one of my go-to paddles; it's just a normal Zav with a custom zero degree blade angle...I think the custom angle is an extra 10 or 15 bucks.

Hey Black Fly. Do you already have a Zaveral paddle? If you are in the market for 2-3 carbon paddles and don't have a Zav I strongly recommend that you get one. As Turtle mentioned you can order with the handle unglued, then trim the shaft a little bit at a time using a hacksaw until it feels perfect. Zav's are great paddles and they also give you an option where you can order by mail and still expect a perfect fit. They offer several lay-ups and blade types so maybe you should get two. A straight shaft Zav is one of my go-to paddles; it's just a normal Zav with a custom zero degree blade angle...I think the custom angle is an extra 10 or 15 bucks.

That sounds like a great system. With straight shafts, I've often landed between sizes. I'll check that out. Hopefully not too pricey.

As long as we are mentioning Zav paddles by name, lets also throw out GRB Newman designs as a high quality paddle maker that can custom make size and shape to order. Brothers John or Gene Newman in far northern NY state would be glad to help.
https://www.grbnewmandesigns.com/pad...nd-accessories

Then we should definitely include LeVass paddle I think they are the best, stiffest and sturdiest 7oz paddle out there. Never broke one never heard of someone braking one either up here!

Paddle preferences, canoe deigns and other gear choices is one area where belonging to a canoe club that leads trips is a huge help. Or just attending paddler get togthers, event gatherings, stroke clinics or group trips with friends. Anywhere there are other paddlers and water.

Most folks are happy to let someone try their paddle or canoe, and being able to try X, then Y, then Z helps understand subtle differences and design preferences.

I'm pretty sure ZRE would let you do that. I know that GRB would. Then again, so would any number of outfitters who stock various brands.

These designer paddles are great, but finding the correct size is impossible unless you live near a dealer or the factory. I researched dealer locations and they are sparse. I guess it would have to be a side trip on a vacation or something. Even Werner doesn't show a dealer within 100 miles. Just one more reason for me to retire and move north.

Using the elbows @ 90 degrees technique, I have a 40" spread pinky to pinky. Now, that can't be the shaft length, as a 19" blade would make a 59" paddle, which is crazy long.

I give up. There is no way to mail order a paddle and get the right length. Wood paddles will have to do until I pass by a store with an inventory and a liberal return policy.

Last edited:
TUsing the elbows @ 90 degrees technique, I have a 40" spread pinky to pinky. Now, that can't be the shaft length, as a 19" blade would make a 59" paddle, which is crazy long.
Try it with whatever paddle (straight or otherwise) you are comfortably using now. Do it in front of a mirror or with an observer helper. Unless you are a star giant tall bb player, I'd be surprised if the meat of one hand on the grip and the other on the throat spans 40".

Back