• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Mad River Monarch

Yes. This is an example of how canoetripping is a balance of goal and reality I suspect Jack L reported today on P net that the sea at Flamingo was all white.. Not just whitecaps.. He was there . Dont think he was there when Joe arrived

Last edited:
Joe got going at sunup. From what Greg Stamer writes a couple of people were stopped by high winds and spent the night hanging onto Mangroves. At least Joe was in the marina..

The wind forecast is dropping and Joe is picking up speed heading for the finish in Key Largo. It looks like it will be a solid 12 hours or more into the wind across Florida Bay.

EDIT: 13 hours or thereabouts.

Way to go Joe!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm back! I'm flattered that you were watching my progress in the EC.
You got it right...First I need to congratulate Beav. That guy is an animal! He made an truly impressive time on the outside route to Key Largo...no gator tooth but holy cow, what a job! Hat's off.

In my class, (Class 1), a couple guys in kayaks did take the inside route and beat me. Age and treachery, I say...
Quick synopsis of the event:
Day 1: Saturday. St. Pete to north side of Charlotte Harbor. Good winds, great paddle sailing!
Day 2: Sunday. Crossed Charlotte Harbor to the inside of Pine Island, out into Gulf at Ft. Myers, paddled through the night past Marcos, up Caxambas pass into the 10,000 islands, and arrived at Chokoloskee in record time on day 3. (for me, 2 pm Monday). I had to sleep.
Day 4: Late start out of Choko after getting a camping permit at Everglades City. Paddled to Rodgers River chickee in wicked headwinds all day.
Day 5: Paddled to Flamingo via the wilderness waterway in wicked headwinds all day. The tide was low so I didn't take the nightmare, instead opted to go out broad river and back up broad creek. wicked headwinds everywhere, all down the Joe river, especially in the Whitewater bay, and Coot bay. Arrived in Flamingo about 3 am.
Day 6: 20-30 mph headwinds on Florida bay. I couldn't take standing around all day waiting for better weather. So I made a try. Yes, I realized it was stupid and turned around. Was considering a night run but thought the better of doing it solo. So crap, I spent something like 28 hours at a checkpoint. At least there was beer, hot food, and cold showers available.
Day 7: At daybreak I made a hard run across Florida bay. The headwinds had subsided to maybe 15-20. It was a 100% effort for about 35 miles, I finished the race just before 9 pm.

I think I have another thread on here about the Clipper Sea 1....I will update that post.

Joe

Just to go from Chokoloskee to Rogers RIver in one day would lay up a mere mortal in bed for days( over 34 miles).! Paddling down Oyster Bay itself in a headwind is my canoe masochism!

From Rogers River to Flamingo must have been hard with the winds and the tides at least part of the day against you.
In some ways us peering at you walking around the convenience store and cafe in the Marina is surreal as well as you knowing we were peeking.

too bad about the timing on the Nightmare at least you might have gotten some reprieve. And Broad Creek. was it psychologically frustrating as its not straight?

http://www.nps.gov/ever/upload/Wilderness_Trip_Planner_2009.pdf

to the map for reference points for someone not familiar with the area.

Broad Creek was kinda fun, thinking that they call it a "waterway" in the first place! I had done the Nightmare in 2013, so I know what I was missing and it was good to see the alternative route. Rodger's River to Flamingo was a long, long slog in incessant headwinds. But really, the two days in the Everglades Wilderness Waterway is about the best part of the whole event! I just noticed I have to jerk another tooth out of my avatar's grin.

I was under the impression that Rogers was under construction this year.. Guess it was finished. Maybe no one has set it on fire yet with a stove. They came close at Oyster Bay.

I'm flattered that you were watching my progress in the EC.
You got it right...First I need to congratulate Beav. That guy is an animal! He made an truly impressive time on the outside route to Key Largo...no gator tooth but holy cow, what a job! Hat's off.

Joe, I find a peculiar vicarious pleasure in watching someone’s SPOT progress, especially in places and races I will never experience. Or want to.

I gotta ask, what criteria earn a Gator Tooth?

Day 7: At daybreak I made a hard run across Florida bay. The headwinds had subsided to maybe 15-20. It was a 100% effort for about 35 miles, I finished the race just before 9 pm.

I feel the 100% effort part. Not my favorite way to paddle, and certainly not for 13+ hours of near nonstop open water paddling

“Near” non-stop; I was watching and thinking about you with your SPOT track’s too-short respites on the wind protected backsides of small Keys along the way, I supposed fueling the furnace with calories and water and gathering it up for another long hard 100% push.

Took Big Red out today for a Spring cleaning. Had to resand the insides because of my crappy fiberglass job last fall trying to "beef" it up. Put 2 tiny pin holes in flotation bags and fixed those. Would like to do some "MacGyver McCrea" projects on it.

Mike, all finishers of the Everglades Challenge get a Shark's tooth. If you take the inside route defined as the entire Wilderness Waterway, you get a Gator's tooth as well.

Hi folks, so I finally glued in some "D" rings so I can attach the float bags to them, Picked up a few from Campmor a few weeks ago while I was in their area. Weather is nice and I'm going to ADK this weekend, might take the Monarch out for a spin. I was thinking about sails again. Spirit Sails is gone and no one seems to have figured out the sweet idea. Then I looked at the Pacific Sails again and saw them for app $300-$325. Any place selling used ones? Or is that a bad idea? Wonder if Water Tribe people dump them cheap? Ideas wanted. Thanks. Joe, can you also send ideas on how you secure paddle inside cockpit. Mike I'm going to look at your thwart ideas also, did you mention using a clamp on style somewhere? Best to all.

Had to resand the insides because of my crappy fiberglass job last fall trying to "beef" it up. Put 2 tiny pin holes in flotation bags and fixed those.

There is a puncture hazard when adding glass and epoxy. Two words, peel ply. It knocks down the pointy frays and strays to near invisibility.

Several more words; run your hand along the underdeck surfaces ISO anything that could puncture a dry bag or float bag. Including the ends of any machine screws or pop rivets. I stick thread protectors on any machine screw end, and if I have a gnarly or over long pop rivet end I cover it with a dab of thickened epoxy or Plumbers Goop.

I was thinking about sails again. Spirit Sails is gone and no one seems to have figured out the sweet idea. Then I looked at the Pacific Sails again and saw them for app $300-$325. Any place selling used ones? Or is that a bad idea? Wonder if Water Tribe people dump them cheap? Ideas wanted.

Spirit Sails are gone. Too bad, I thought they were the best and easiest of the simple downwind sails.

I have the Monarch rigged for both a Spirit Sail (off the utility thwart) and a Pacific Action sail off the bow. The PA sail was a used one, cheap.

It is unfortunately the full sized PA sail; it is not only too much square footage for my uses, it is so long that I needed to mount it (using a custom carved, neoprene covered & Melco-taped minicel block) 2 feet from the bow stem. That is a lot further forward than I’d like a to position a sail, and even so the battens are just barely out of my paddle stroke range when pulled down.

I’d trade it for the smaller Pacific Action sail in a heartbeat.

Mike I'm going to look at your thwart ideas also, did you mention using a clamp on style somewhere? Best to all.

I have a clamp on utility thwart that we use on a soloized Pamlico 145. It clamps under the cowling and works fine, but it is one more thing to remember to bring. I just reversed the pad eye and J-hook locations from the permanent thwart orientation so the bungees lift off with the yoke, leaving only a J-hook on the hull.

That is a much simpler build, at least at first, to a cut a board to /____\ size and use a couple of clamps.

Clamped in place:

I glued some neoprene to the clamp L so it is less slidey on the plastic coming.

I have used that clamp-on utility thwart to find the sweet spot before glassing in a permanent yoke.

BTW, about the P-145, again. I have sung the praises of the (older-generation) Pamlico 145 as a solo semi-decked sailing craft before. There’s a lot of them out there, sometimes cheap complete with rudders. They soloize easily, losing a bunch of weight in the process and they have a nimble amount of continuous rocker

They make a nice pocket lake/bay tripper for lighter gear loads or smaller paddlers, and they sail very, very well. And they are not unicorns on Craigslist.

I believe I have some of those clamps from old of those clamps to secure an electric motor to. Didn't notice if you have one hole on either end or did you cut a grove in the board to slide the clamps around into the best position.

Looking at the PA sails, those 1.5m look really long. Will wait on the sail for now. I'm trying to fit a canvas tent and kni co wood stove into the Monarch for a trip this weekend. Will keep you updated. I have to drive down one weekend to hang out with you. Health and happiness.

If you want to take it to the next level and experience true sailing instead of just downwind sailing...no offense to anyone, so I will say better sailing instead...be sure to look at Falcon Sails. I have several posts in which I discuss Falcon sails, in the Clipper Sea 1 thread too. Or friend me on Facebook I'm Joe Tousignant...and friend Falcon Sails on Facebook too. What you see in Watertribe is folks do it one time with a PAS, then they move on to a real sail (i.e. mast and boom style)...if they got a FEKS then maybe later they move up to a Falcon. Falcon sails are getting more and more common in Watertribe events every year.

I believe I have some of those clamps from old of those clamps to secure an electric motor to. Didn't notice if you have one hole on either end or did you cut a grove in the board to slide the clamps around into the best position.

Those clamp-on utility thwarts are so easy to build that we have three of them. The one shown is (more or less) specific to the P145, sized so that the thwart does not extend beyond the edge of the cockpit coming.

The other two are canoe sized, with adjustable length slots for the clamps. The expensive part of those clamp on thwarts is the clamp itself, which is interchangeable between the different thwarts.

If you want to take it to the next level and experience true sailing instead of just downwind sailing...no offense to anyone, so I will say better sailing instead...be sure to look at Falcon Sails. I have several posts in which I discuss Falcon sails, in the Clipper Sea 1 thread too. What you see in Watertribe is folks do it one time with a PAS, then they move on to a real sail (i.e. mast and boom style)...if they got a FEKS then maybe later they move up to a Falcon. Falcon sails are getting more and more common in Watertribe events every year.

Joe, from everything I have seen and read Falcon Sails seem to be the best kayak sail on the market, better than Flat Earth sails and far superior to Pacific Action sails. The Watertriber sail progression is a pretty good testimonial, and a Falcon Sail would be my choice if I was looking for a true next-level sailing experience.

But I’m not. My sailing needs and preferences are as peculiar as the rest of my paddling “style”. I am content with downwind only, and not interested in tacking upwind to a destination. I prefer to have something that I can install or remove on the fly, without leaving an upright mast, or even leaving a mast (battens) lashed horizontal on the deck as with the Pacific Action Sail.

Coldfeet, Spirit Sails are gone. The sail part and battens are still around in dealer stock and the mount, which is just a Scotty Rod base, is available. But the dealer stock of remnant Y-connectors seems to be zero. If you could find a 1sqm Pacific Action sail at a reasonable used price I’d try it. The PA sail is in many ways a superior design to the Sprit Sail, but the one I have is just too dang large/long to fit properly on the Monarch. Plus it is too much sail for my wimpy purposes, occasionally inducing puckering if not a full scale laundry emergency.

Something like the Spirit Sail, small enough to be easily stowed away and stepped while paddling, is a boon for my purposes. Since I have a permanent “mast step” (Spirit Sail mount/Scotty rod base) on the utility thwart I need only bring the Y connector piece and the stuff-bagged sail, which stow away easily at hand.

The Spirit Sails are so easy to use and compact to store that I bring one on every trip, even when I have little expectation of sailing.

Yeah, I know that is an above gunwales mess in the stern, but there is a portable toilet and wag bag bucket, tarp, poles and stakes, a couple of 10L dromedary bags, full sized wind chair, fire pan (and Fire in a Can), spare PFD and hiking staff back there. And a case of beer under the seat.

There is a load of gear under the bow cover as well, including a barrel, a 115L dry bag and a 30L drybag. And maybe more beer. Still plenty of freeboard and the trim is fine. I do like the Penobscot as a heavy hauler solo canoe.

Sometimes the SS never gets used. Maybe those dead calm conditions stem from the wind-killer fortunes of bringing a sail. I’ll take it, both the unused sail and the glass-like conditions.

"If you want to take it to the next level and experience true sailing instead of just downwind sailing".....

Look into the Balogh Sail Design sailing system. Serious sails that allow full range sailing on canoes and kayaks. They use inflatable teardrop outriggers, which you need to make any decent upwind travel at speeds higher than paddling. I have been using them for years on my sea kayaks and Seawind Kruger. Typical speeds in 10-15 knots wind are 6-8 knots. Link to photos of the spring sail gathering on the Virginia/Maryland eastern shore.

Good point Gdwelker. Understand that I'm a "Class 1" Watertriber so I didn't even think of the Class 3 design of the Balogh rigs. However, when guys push their Baloghs hard in the Everglades Challenge, things break. Seen it often. For more casual sailing in sane conditions, I'm sure they are fine.
​Joe

Back