• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Mad River model question

Reaction score
I saw this old ad for this canoe and am wondering if anyone know what model it might be. The 14’-6” makes me think it’s a Guide but I thought that Kevlar models were longer- plus it seems narrower. Any ideas cause I like it! Thanks 1655564247484.png

Liberty was my thought as well. I tend not to put a lot of stock in folks ability to use a tape measure correctly, but the kevlar Guide was 14’ 9”, 29 ½” at the gunwales and 43 lbs.

The kevlar Courier was 14’ 7”, 32” at the gunwales and 45lbs.

Give the listed dimensions maybe a Liberty; 14’ 8”, 28” at the gunwales, 35lbs in kevlar foam core.

The date on the HIN would narrow it down considerably. The Liberty, essentially a smaller persons Independence, was built from 1992 to 1998.

Unfortunately, this ad was from who knows and no other pics available, so no HIN coming. Thanks for your reply!

It looks far to shallow for a Guide or Courrier. From memory (and 15 seconds of googling to make sure my memory isn’t that terrible) I’d guess an Independence.

Agree it’s probably the [lady]slipper. I had one once, Kevlar w foam core it weighed about 39lbs.

“I’d guess an Independence”

That would take some serious tape measure inaccuracy. The Indy was 15’ 8”.

Not that it couldn’t happen. DougD was looking for a specific hull and I found one that, by the photos , seemed to be the boat he wanted. Except it was listed at 19’ long, and the model he wanted question was 16’ 2”.

It was that model, and it was 16’ 2”.

My all time favorite tape measure story. I had two guys from the multi-trade shop hanging a sign for me. The lead “craftsman” took the tape measure, pulled the tape out a couple feet holding it upside down and told his partner “Cut it at 81”.

His partner and I looked at each other dumbfounded. 18” genius, not 81”.

The Ladyslipper (’83 – ’85) was 14’ 8” x 28 ½”. The same-ish hull Slipper (’86 – ’96) was listed at 14’ 7” x 27”

Thanks for your responses, I’ll go with the slipper. Now- I am thinking that the slipper is probably meant for a smaller paddler, but I am 6’ and give or take 195 lbs depending on the day- Is that too much for one? I drive a Guide that’s roughly the same with no problems, but would love something that weighed less…

A 1994 MRC catalog lists the “efficient load capacity” of the Slipper at 300lbs

That page of the ’94 catalog has three classics, Slipper, Independence (350lbs) and Liberty (250lbs). And the previous page has the Guide NEW! (listed as a 6” freeboard capacity at 550lb).

Not that I put much stock in published weight capacities; in the ’97 MRC catalog the Guide is listed 750lbs.

I guess MRC changed the name because some male buyers didn’t want to be seen paddling a Lady canoe.

Back