• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Lumbar Support Backrest

Reaction score
I can’t deal with the crazy creek style backrest anymore, maybe forever. I used a frame backrest Tuesday, one made with steel tubing. It was somewhat better, but I wish it was curved to support the lower back. Anyone know of a bench seat backrest that might help me extend my day trips? Thanks.

I've had a couple of Swift pack boats with the lumbar support pad but found that direct pressure on my lumbar was uncomfortable, so removed the pad. I've found that backrests that distributed the pressure evenly across the largest area of my back worked best, like a backband, but haven't found one yet that worked well with a high hung bench seat. So for now, the Cushgear will have to do.

Last edited:
Been looking at the Cushgear Backrest. The clamps are another $50, but I can’t find the weight or details about how it attaches (secure?). Anyway, maybe a gel pillow could be used low on the frame to support the lumbar region. Might be more easily used with the one shown here. I don’t know if this one folds flat with seat, however, or what it weighs.IMG_9091.jpeg

One of my Folbots has a seat with inflatable cushions that make it very adjustable. That seat was an upgrade over their standard foam seat. Folbot is out of business, but perhaps someone makes something similar.

Not a fan of the Cushgear clamps, prefer the screws, here are a few pics: (they work better with some seats more than others, the radiused spacer is perfect with Essex seats; without the spacer, need a flat surface). At the lowest seatback setting (as shown) the bottom of the back is right about belt-level.
IMG_0856.JPGIMG_0855.JPGIMG_0854.JPG

I use a back band and position the band where I want it to reside. If I lean forward the back band will fall somewhat, but it’s an easy matter to pull it back up into position. IMG_0201.jpeg

Back