• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Lucky number 77?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Pringles, and I live in Michigan's UP, in Sault Ste. Marie. I started canoeing when I was a kid. Dad bought a no-brand aluminum canoe from a canoe livery, and off we went. On his death bed, Dad signed over the registration for that canoe to me. I kept it on the side of the garage for a few years, but eventually gave it to my sister for storage. That thing weighed a ton, and I couldn't handle it alone. But I learned how to do the strokes, and more important, to love the places it took us. I've not done a lot of canoeing, beyond the fishing and paddling I did with my dad, but I've done a multiday trip to the Everglades and done the White Cliffs section of the Missouri, both with an outfitter. I'd like to learn enough to take some of those UP trips alone. Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from you all. Pringles

PS, the reference to number 77 is that according to the bottom of one of the pages, I'm member number 77.

Hey, Pringles! It made me sad that no one had replied to you. I also started on aluminum canoes. They're noisy and heavy, but sturdy. You sure live in fine place to canoe. It's wild enough for good fishing, camping, and witnessing, but inhabited enough to make solo tripping a little safer. Do you have a particular river or lake you want to explore?

Thanks thekat. I do live in a great place for outdoor activities. My favorite activity is backpacking, and then next would be kayaking. Unfortunately, canoeing ends up being a little further down the list. I enjoy kayaking in the St. Mary river. I have a couple of folding kayaks, and have taken them both to Pictured Rocks and Lake Superior Provincial Park. I'm planning a trip to the NE this summer, and in tend to take a folding boat and go do a bit of exploring in the Adorondaks, among other places. Anyway, thanks!

Pictured Rocks is stunning. I once backpacked, but floating is soooo much easier than walking!

You must be young! Canoeing will become more favored as you get older and your back and knees start to like hiking and backpacking less and less... (the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak!)

Well... I'm getting there. I remember doing 5 hour paddles in the kayak, but if I did that now, I'd have to do a wet exit to get out. :) What I really want is more summer. More NORTHERN summer. It's awesome here at that time.

Well... I'm getting there. I remember doing 5 hour paddles in the kayak, but if I did that now, I'd have to do a wet exit to get out. :) What I really want is more summer. More NORTHERN summer. It's awesome here at that time.
Now now..the correct term is half a roll..:) It sometimes pays to wear a drysuit. That half roll is now my standard exit to go to shore! And it works too in winter! Ken Fink used to sell drysuits at wholesale. No more. Dealers got upset. I am so glad I got mine at wholesale as I couldn't afford one otherwise.

I excel at the half roll! I am splendid at the half roll! I practice the full roll at the pool on Sunday, but I'm not so good at that. I'd like to have a dry suit, but you're right, I don't think I can afford one, especially for the amount I'd use it. I'm too chicken to go out on the big lake. I've only been out on it a few times. I play in the river, (St. Mary's) which is big enough for freighters to go up and down, so it's sizable. Mostly I putter. I watch ospreys and mink and fox and eagles and beavers and turkey vultures and that kind of thing. Puttering goes great with a cup of hot coffee. Ahhh.

Back