• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

​Luci Light inflatable Solar Lantern

G

, it's nice to get new stuff!

Even nicer when someone gives you new gear, especially when it is something you wouldn’t have bought yourself. I would have thought the latest gift gear just another gadget gizmo, but I like it.

Luci Light inflatable solar lantern

https://www.mpowerd.com/order?gclid=CNupz87r0MUCFY-EaQodpTQA2A

It is impressively bright and weighs less than 3 oz, so it should hang unsaggily in the tent. The disadvantage to that featherweight inflation is that it will blow away if not attached to something. It has plastic strap handles on both sides and when charging it in the sun on breezy days it needs to be anchored securely in place solar panels toward the sun.

I haven’t yet checked the full duration of the solar charge yet, but heck, between a wee amber fingerlight, an LED reading lantern, LED on a headband and assorted other illumination I carry as many flashlights as I do knives. And none are solar.

I think the Luci Light has found a place in the protected dry bag of books, journal and reading glasses.

That looks like a nice device. I used this one last summer and found it very useful:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TF7LZ3K...olid=2JGBGSSSFQHE0&coliid=I3VWZL3X681NE&psc=1

I put it in the net at the top of my tent and it illuminates the 3 person shelter nicely. I generally use the low setting, the x-bright setting is dramatic. I use a Kindle thus don't read by it but one certainly could do so.

In some of the heavily forested areas where I paddle camp I have to place the lamp strategically during the day as sunlight exposure is limited within the treeline. Only have two months use on it thus far but it seems like a good lamp.

Very cool widgets available to the paddler these days.

I got one of those for Christmas several years ago, before they were in stores. Loved it so much I encouraged my local outfitter to get some in, and now have three or four. The light is more ambient than focused, and so not really great for reading. I like it for organizing gear in the dark, or just on in my tent so its easy to find. Think dim (and light and solar powered!) coleman lantern rather than flashlight. Good cooking light, for example.

Compared to our choices of a few years ago...old battery powered lanterns w incandescent bulbs, gas or propane mantle lanterns and first gen LED's...wow, this is a great time to be building your gear closet.

Add in a healthy choice of really tasty, powerful and well designed flashlights and headlamps...easy to go (me! have gone a bit nuts...) overboard...wish for dark skies and late hits at the trailhead or lake put-in.

The Lanterns worked great when preparing our late supper on the 1st night. Used 3 but even 1 centered on the area gave off more than enough light. That was the only needed them. With the amount of light we had until around 9 PM w didn't needed them again.

We did do a light show in the flash mode for the Boy Scouts across the river that we had been playing river tag with for the past week.

My buddy gave my wife and me a pair this summer and they were great. I keep one out at home where it can get some light in case the power goes out.

For us Canadians, Lee Valley Tools has these. I bought a couple to use at a party this autumn and will try them in my winter tent. Our dog is just too big and clumsy to use candles anymore and having a light that I can hang up but doesn't get hot is such a benefit. I will probably keep using my battery powered Christmas lights as well but the Luci lights are much brighter and come with added disco effect!

With a phone charger type Li-Ion battery pack and two of these, you are as bright as you need to be...small, good run time, good build quality...maybe just one turned on after dinner is cooked and the dishes done... I have a few of these and their bigger 12v powered cousins, the Light a Life 350 for my hurricane emergency box. It's good stuff for year rounding camping, leave one of the 12v in the car as an emergency/trouble light. Good but pricey.
http://www.goalzero.com/p/334/light-a-life-mini-usb-light

Back