• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Lows Lake Redux

Reaction score
My canoe partner was looking a bit stressed this morning at Fireman's Breakfast (he's the Fire Chief), so I asked him when he's going to get back in the boat and do some paddling?

LSS, we 'should' be headed back up to Lows Lake the week after next for 3 days, mid week. I was looking at staying at one of the 20 something campsites, any recommendations?

I'm not familiar with those sites, I think they are pretty popular but you should pretty much have your pick then. I'll be heading n on Thursday, the 20th so I'll keep an eye out for you guys if I see your name in the book.

My canoe partner was looking a bit stressed this morning at Fireman's Breakfast (he's the Fire Chief), so I asked him when he's going to get back in the boat and do some paddling?

LSS, we 'should' be headed back up to Lows Lake the week after next for 3 days, mid week. I was looking at staying at one of the 20 something campsites, any recommendations?
I like 25, as its in a protected area, with easy access to hiking. 26 is also good, as is 27. the 20's beyond (or before) those, and you are on the exposed side of the main lake, could be chilly and windy. Firewood will be more difficult to find in the more popular sites this time of year, post-season.

I stayed at 21, it is OK, nothing special there is at least one nice tent pad and one nice hammock clearing, away from privy. Site 20 is nice with more clearing and a nice beach on the peninsula looking east. I did not check out 22 but i have seen a larger group fit in there nicely.
If the winds are wicked, there is a passage in between 19 and 20,21
,22 to allow you to get towards 25,26 and on to Grassy Pond with two carries one short and the next one is about 25 feet. I also stayed at 19, it is OK.

Last edited:
No Title

Site 20 would be my choice if available, It has an enclosed Privy too.

Attachments

• photo5408.JPG
    photo5408.JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5409.JPG
    photo5409.JPG
    426.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5410.JPG
    photo5410.JPG
    413.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5411.JPG
    photo5411.JPG
    381.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5412.JPG
    photo5412.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5413.JPG
    photo5413.JPG
    341.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5415.JPG
    photo5415.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5417.JPG
    photo5417.JPG
    354.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5418.JPG
    photo5418.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5419.JPG
    photo5419.JPG
    437 KB · Views: 0
My favorite is 21 if the weather's good... great view of the lake, sunrise/sunset, and easy reach to whatever exploring you want to do that day.

If the weather's sketchy, 19, right behind it, is nice and sheltered, and you can slip over that portage to the west if you want to head over to Grass Pond without facing the main lake.

@bc I ain't afraid of no open privy! Wind whistling thorough with a veiw.

@ Seeker That is a plan that I'm working on

I will be heading up there as well on the 22nd possibly through the 26th, to meet up with some guys from the bushcraft USA forum. A fellow is coming from England so a couple of us are going to meet him and do a bit of hunting while we are at it. Hopefully the deer show up for the party. This will be my first time to lows lake, so I am very excited. Maybe I will run in to you guys as well.

I was hammered with a huge head cold today. My next window will be 25-27, so Robin and hidden_lo I may see you up there then.

Less than a week ago I snuck in a hiking trip to the overlook that you access by the upper dam - well worth the stop if you can make it work for you, easy enough hike, take your camera and binocs.

Great vistas and the color had just peaked then. We saw a few boaters in the pond and a couple more coming down the narrows to the bog area.

I'll have to try that trip again sometime with the hot tent setup...

if you look very carefully and the light is just right, you can see the names of A. A. Low's fellow workers inscribed in a part of the rock that you walk by on the summit.

Back