• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Lows Lake October weekend get away

I wasn't sure about it, I expected a sign indicating the portage and I thought it was on the long side for a "short" portage. 50 yards more and it would have been a short "medium" portage to me. On the way out I didn't use my paddles to facilitate the carry and was sorry. It was too long to only use the center thwart. Oh well, it wouldn't have been a true portage trip if there was no pain involved, other than that it was an easy three trips. I've come to the conclusion that when I'm hot tenting it 3 trips across is the way to go.

A get together would be great. It will be a long drive for you.

I have a question about the portage. I carried on the trail on the east side of the creek but I noticed there was a trail coming up from the west side and it looked like you could get a lot closer using the creek. Did I miss the short trail?
Just checking this out for the coming weekend...you mean the portage around the dam?

Oh, and I'd be up for a wooden canoe gathering on Low's.

Attachments

• PXL_20211011_151419472.jpg
    PXL_20211011_151419472.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 7
I have a question about the portage. I carried on the trail on the east side of the creek but I noticed there was a trail coming up from the west side and it looked like you could get a lot closer using the creek. Did I miss the short trail?
You can paddle upstream to a point about where you see the large ruined foundation near a flower bed along the normal carry trail. The past several years there was a large log wedged there in rocks along the riight bank, shunting the current away, allowing you to safely park your canoe and exit (wet foot) with gear, saving about half of the portage.

Nice write up and photo‘s Al. They brought back memories of the trips to the St Regis canoe area that my sons and I took when we lived in Connecticut 30+ years ago. I have a similar vintage Campfire tent which weighs 35 lbs (4 person model with a floor), is yours similar in weight? It is pretty much a river trip tent, haven’t portaged it! I am also a fan of pack baskets and Duluth packs. It is impressive that you judged the scenery to be prettier than Alaska.

Just checking this out for the coming weekend...you mean the portage around the dam?

Oh, and I'd be up for a wooden canoe gathering on Low's.
WW, that's the one. If you get up there this weekend and site 12 works for you, it should have a good view of the moon rise. If you bring your wood boat watch out for rocks shortly after the put in and also in the channel.

Nice write up and photo‘s Al. They brought back memories of the trips to the St Regis canoe area that my sons and I took when we lived in Connecticut 30+ years ago. I have a similar vintage Campfire tent which weighs 35 lbs (4 person model with a floor), is yours similar in weight? It is pretty much a river trip tent, haven’t portaged it! I am also a fan of pack baskets and Duluth packs. It is impressive that you judged the scenery to be prettier than Alaska.

Mine weighs about the same. The one I have from the 97' is Egyptian cotton and is lighter and less bulky than the newer one I have. I'd done a lot of portaging with it but never on a solo trip. I used to leave the vestibule poles home to save weight and a single carry was off the table.

Oh yeah, I love the traditional stuff. Not only for nostalgia, but because it works, makes life easier out their, and it lasts.

As far as it being prettier than Ak. I think hardwood forest in their fall colors are hard to beat anywhere.

Sounds like a great trip! I was up there the prior weekend with a buddy. We were in my Wenonah royalex - hopefully I didn't defile the place too much with my modern boat :) I also appreciate the use of traditional gear, even if I go mostly modern myself.

The parking area was so full when we got there on Sunday morning, we got worried about getting a site and settled for #3 on Hitchins Pond, rather than continuing to Lows and finding ourselves without a site late in the day. By the time we set up camp, ate lunch, and got back on the water, we only made it to the Boy Scout camp before deciding to turn back to ensure we had enough light to hike to the lookout over Hitchins. So I feel like I'll need to go back and have the full Lows experience another time. Foliage looked great when we were up there.

Sounds like a great trip! I was up there the prior weekend with a buddy. We were in my Wenonah royalex - hopefully I didn't defile the place too much with my modern boat :) I also appreciate the use of traditional gear, even if I go mostly modern myself.

The parking area was so full when we got there on Sunday morning, we got worried about getting a site and settled for #3 on Hitchins Pond, rather than continuing to Lows and finding ourselves without a site late in the day. By the time we set up camp, ate lunch, and got back on the water, we only made it to the Boy Scout camp before deciding to turn back to ensure we had enough light to hike to the lookout over Hitchins. So I feel like I'll need to go back and have the full Lows experience another time. Foliage looked great when we were up there.
I've always used the traditional gear but this was my first trip in a w/c canoe, so modern boats are fine. I just hope you weren't both using double blade paddles;).

We were concerned about campsite availability when we saw the parking situation too, especially after talking with a local who was putting in the same time as us. He said that crowds in Adks are controlled by the amount of parking available at trailheads and that if he didn't find a campsite he was going to go home. Our fears were unfounded as I think most of the vehicles were day trippers and hikers out enjoying the fall colors.

There's quite a bit more to the Lows story and structures if you know where to look for them beyond the existing ruins of the foundations along the canoe carry trail. He had a sugar shanty back in the woods with a marble floor that is still visible and a nearby brick building still in good shape still standing. In another location there is a cobble stone chimney still erect and intact. At the crest of "Lows mountain" there are names of his associatates carved in the rock, but the lighting has to be just right to see them if you know the exact location.
You can paddle into the still existing cisterns where he collected spring water to sell. The water is ulta clear and cold.

Back