• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Lost paddler found

I call BS on this story. There is something strange going on here. Either real bad reporting, or Dude is telling a whopper. heck, I've forgotten to eat for three days at a time, especially on canoe trips. Last German Shepherd I had....well, let's say you'd have to be a good man to kill it with a rock. I wonder if we'll ever get the real story.

I think I'd prefer the dog hair attached to some ears, a nose and a bark. I'm off this Sunday to look at a litter of rough collies. My good old Rose can be comfortable by the home fires.

Seeker, is Gumby your navigator?

I do too, actually... but my uncle won't let me borrow his dog, so I have to improvise!

Gumby's mostly an idiot... absolutely NO sense of direction, completely inept at any sort of woodcraft, and generally doesn't come up with any good ideas. Nothing between the ears but rubbery plastic... BUT, he's small, light, quiet, photogenic, doesn't eat a lot, and is the source of a lot of good juju... so he's a good addition to any trip.

Last edited:
I hate to second-guess, but I'm starting to feel a little skeptical. I agree there are some questions that challenge the guy's good sense and credibility. Why - and how - would a black bear destroy a canoe? Where was his map? He must have been out at least a week for hunger to have driven him to eat his dog. I really want to hear his story when he's better.

I’m guessing his canoe was damaged because he stashed his food pack and gear under it. I’m guessing the bruin also trashed his survival stuff and other gear. I’m guessing that despite his trusty companion’s proven value in protecting them from harm, it didn’t occur to this dude that his dog would continue to be invaluable, i.e. catch us a chipmunk, provide living warmth over night, and keep the bear away…
This story has too many loose ends to keep me guessing. I smell a survival book deal being cooked up. But that’s just another guess.
PS I hope my jocularity didn’t offend OM, it wasn’t intended.
I value your design, ingenuity, craft, and your sharing it.

Hi Brad, No offense taken and your points are well made. I was thinking the same things myself.

Somewhere in here I've got to remind myself all we have heard about this came from/through the news media. Most of them wouldn't recognize the truth if it ran up and bit them on the arse.
So....if it's true he lost about half of his body's weight, the guy is in really bad shape and anything he might have said ought to be disregarded until he's better and then give him a fair hearing. And then stone him!!! (Just kidding!)

Brad, I tried to read those two news items but you know what, they're in French! I couldn't find how to switch them over into English. But I do agree they are curious. Maybe they wouldn't be so much if I knew what they said.

Best Wishes,

Rob

Hooray for my side!! I just broke three hundred posts! That entitles me to one minnow fried in Robin's cold handle frying pan! If I make it to four hundred I get one cup of shavings from the floor of his shop!

Ain't life grand!

Rob

I think I've said this before Rob, but you are truly the Thomas Alva Edison of the canoe world. I can see many uses for that alarm box....for instance, when the students are slow to rise for a 5:00 AM departure, slide the box under the canvas wall tent and hit the switch! Or when it's lights out time at 11:00, hit the switch. Unfortunately, it wouldn't work for bears, cause the kids are so noisy most wildlife disappears for miles around. What other inventions have you got in the vault?

Wait, we’re keeping score? Drat! As much as I love fried fish, there’s no way I’ll ever catch up now. Congrats on your prize OM, just don’t let Robin mail it to you.
I remember listening through the tent walls one night to the quiet scratching and scuffling going on around our camp. My wife was doing her Husqvarna imitations, happily in dreamland, while I worried about my (non food) gear and my canoe. Your device Rob would’ve been handy and appreciated. In the morning (after a restless night) I found a cute little mouse in a pack. It’s funny how sound magnifies with a little help from nervous imagination. I’d been imagining a clumsy hooligan bear poking holes in my hull. Somehow, me emerging shivering from my tent, with a quivering voice shouting “Leave my boat alone! My wife won’t let me buy another one!” wouldn’t be much of a deterrent. Your boom box sure would be!

Okay, I’m shooting for 300 now. I can taste that fish now!
Ma francais is rusty (use it or lose it), but here it goes…
It seems the emaciated tripper had spilled on a set of rapids, and needed to portage. He also injured his foot. I think that’s how his canoe was damaged. He was stuck on a section of river with steep sides, but had 2 rifles and had also been prepared to trap and fish. He was going to stay put until he felt better, but the bear damaging his tent and stuff, and then carrying off his food pack made his situation dire. He ran out of bullets, but somehow had one left to shoot his dog three days later? His matches were wet, so he couldn’t light a fire. His boots and socks were wet, and then froze. Freeze up started, and he was now barefoot. His daughter reported him missing 20 days after he’d been expected to arrive? He fashioned a distress signal in the snow, with pieces of wood (marking an X). Perhaps fatigue, dehydration and the onset of hypothermia contributed to making difficult decisions more difficult. I was probably too quick to harshly judge here. I thank the SAR responders for their work. I hope I never need them, but boy am I glad they’re there!
(This post should count for 2, no? Why am I stuck on 199?)

Last edited:
How did his boots freeze? He left in August!

How did he run out of bullets in 3 days but still manage not to use any of them to get food?

No doubt that when 1 thing goes wrong the chances of a second mishap escalates the seriousness of the situation exponentially. It is easy to play the Monday morning quaterback and say what he should of, could of done but unless you have been in a REAL survival situation you will never really know what you would have actually done.

I know for me I think about these things quite a bit and tend to overpack for emergency situations but thankfully have never been in that situation. It is a matter of risk management, and whether you are conscience of it or not as a solo traveller you are constantly assesing the risks and hopefully managing those risks to reduce the chance of an adverse event. You watch the footing very carefully, portage rather than run a rapid or even chose your bear defense strategy.

I would love the chance to hear an in-depth interview with this guy or even have the chance to talk to him personally.

But one thing I am alomst certain of, my dog would never become a meal for me. EVER!

Miscellaneous comments:

- I think it's very appropriate to call BS, not yet on the guy, but on the reporting of this incident. What a bunch of inconsistent, contradictory and uninformative "journalism".

- I have detested fishing since early childhood and have never fished since, much less when canoeing. However, if I were going on an extended trip alone into true wilderness, which I don't really do, I would certainly re-educate myself and bring along some sort of appropriate fishing tackle.

- I favor putting food away from the tent and campsite. I currently use an Ursack tied to a tree, which is satisfactory for my meager fare, which consists solely of vacuum packed and dehydrated commercial meals. Hanging from branches is a hassle, and the stupidest bear is probably better with ropes than I am.

- Would anyone born in rural country before 1930 have traveled for weeks into the woods without a long gun?

- Would a starving dog try to eat its master? Would it come down to which of the starvees kills the other in its sleep?

- I'm not sure a bag of dead dog hair smells exactly the same as a dog for purposes of deterring food critters. However, the concept is worth a try, so I am considering acquiring this to wrap around my . . . uh . . . barrel:

draft_lens8793481module78861181photo_1263369754fox-fur-coat-new.jpg

That's the problem with my dog hair bag... kinda like an anti-elephant charm, if you remember that joke... can't prove it works, can't prove it doesn't. I do plan to continue using it... I'll let you guys know when it fails. lol.

Robin, If it turns out that minnows are in short supply, could I please have a Gumby in stead? The more I think about Seeker's idea, the better I like it. It'd be somebody to talk to who isn't always interrupting. And he wouldn't fall asleep as the dog is inclined to do.

Glen, About your barrel wrap thing; I don't know my friend, but that looks to be a high maintenance item to me. Now, I can't remember for sure but weren't they supposed to come with two bumps on the front?

Best Wishes,

Rob

High maintenance indeed! What’s the matter Oldie, don’t you still have that DDD ditch bag around somewhere?

Brad's got the gist of it, but I'm bored so I'll translate the article that he provided from La Frontiere

[Square brackets are my comments]

Five tries, to save his skin
Injured and starving, Marco Lavoie made five attempts to make his way back to civilization and save his own life.

Having navigated two thirds of the Riviere Nottaway, between Lake Matagami and the village of Waskaganish, the adventurer injured his ankle.

On a remote river chock full of rapids that needed to be bypassed by carrying everything on foot, the injury left him in deep $£!+.

Misadventures

Mr. Lavoie left on the 17th of July on a two month trip with his dog, to descend 230 km [143 miles] on the Nottaway River to Hudson Bay.

After an uneventful month, his campsite was attacked by a bear. The bear damaged some of his equipment and stole his food bag.

But all was not lost. Armed with two rifles, he managed to hunt, trap and fish. He continued to descend the river. Two thirds of the way down the river between Lake Mattagami and the village of Waskaganish, he injured his ankle badly. [Doesn't say exactly when.] There were dozens of portages to do, and the banks of the river being steep (25-40 feet high), it was too painful to portage. So he stopped for one month to heal the ankle.

[So after a month to heal, we're talking at least late September, I guess, if not later]

The worst was yet to come

All his attempts to continue descending the river--which was starting to freeze up--failed. Finally he was forced to stop and wait for rescue, since the most difficult section of the river still lay ahead.The helicopter pilot, Claude Richard, says, "It was a good thing that he stopped at that point, because he wouldn't have been able to continue in his condition. Just below that point, there was a very rocky rapid, dropping 5 metres over 3 km [16 feet over 2 miles]. He would never have arrived at the end of that rapid on the right side of the canoe" [I like that expression]

In time, food and ammunition became scarce. Hungry and incapable of obtaining food, he was forced to kill his German Shepherd to eat it. In spite of that, for one week before his rescue he had nothing to eat. An SQ officer (provincial police officer) Benoit Coutu, says, "With the weather and storms, his tent and sleeping bag were torn and wet. He had no matches". His boots and socks were also soaked. He took them off to try and dry them, but without fire, and with nighttime temperatures around -10C (14F), they froze solid, rendering them useless.

The man was finally rescued more than three months after the beginning of his trip. While being taken out of the forest, he expressed to his rescuers his wish to get a new dog and train it for search and rescue work in the bush.

[so i'm guessing late August the bear attacks, late Septmber he hurts his ankle, mid October he kills his dog. Last week of October he has nothing at all to eat. Rescued end of October]

Last edited:
Merci, Sturgeon! Your translation makes the entire story much more understandable.

No problem. It was fun translating. I refreshed some idioms I had forgotten.

Other info from other articles in La Frontiere:

When they found him, he was limping through three feet of snow, barefoot.
He lost 90 lbs.
His dog's name was Rocky.
He killed him with a rock.

Things I want to know:

Why carry two rifles?
Details of bear incident: How was food secured? Why didn't dog prevent it? Did he shoot at the bear?
Did he cook the dog or eat it raw? Article says he had no matches...
Why no Spot or satphone?
No means to make fire besides matches?
Timeline is not clear.

My feeling is that he was an experienced woodsman who met with trouble by being a bit blasé about safety (solo in remote area with no communications). And trouble doesn't travel alone. It travels with a guy named Murphy. When you have no food, and the most difficult part of the trip is ahead, that's precisely when you'll get injured. And then it starts snowing.

Look forward to the book...or at least a long magazine article.

Last edited:
Back