• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Looks like a good deal?

Niiiiice. That is a sweet looking boat, creases and all. And for $250. I shall have to remember to grind you a bit next time...lol.I might have tried for 200.

Nice work getting it back in shape. I picked up a similar deal this past spring on a MR Explorer off of Craigslist. Once we dug the canoe out of the leaves from the seller's back yard it turned out to be a 17'6" kevlar model. It had faded from red to pink, ripped cane seats and the gunwales were about a week away from being unsalvageable. Those gunwales were so thirsty, they just kept soaking up the boiled linseed oil. Once I waxed the hull and fixed the gunwales it looked like a new boat. I'll add the seats to the winter canoe project list.

Robin, how did you attach the webbing, staples on the underneath side?

The seats are hardwood so I used steel tacks.
First I removed all the pressed in cain from the grooves in the event that I want to restore the seat to original.

Then I flipped the seat over and tacked one end of the webbing to the inside of the seat frame with two tacks, then I stretched the webbing across the top of the seat and cut it to size, clamped it to the frame and added two more tacks to that end of the webbing, then released the clamp. I tried pre drilling and using brass tacks, but I found the steel tacks went in easy and held tight.

I know the steel has the tendency to rust, but it was what I had on hand and I'm pretty sure those tacks will outlast the webbing. (I helped restore a 1943 "war time" OT with steel tacks, they where harder to remove than brass tacks and still going strong)

I also raised the seats 1 & 1/2 inches by just removing that much from the dowel spacer over the ss seat hanging bolts. After a test drive, I will cut the excess on the bolts with a cutter grinder if I like the height.

DSC02394.JPG

Back