• Happy Birthday, Liberace (1919-87)! 🤵🏻🎹🕎

Looking to build a low volume, poleable tandem to set up as a solo

Reaction score
I'm contemplating building my second stripper with the goal of section paddling/poling the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. The accomplished polers I know all seem to prefer 16 feet or longer, symmetrical, stable, high volume tandems. I'd like to keep the weight down as much as possible so have been researching lower volume designs. So far I've only come up with the Bear Mountain Bob's Special and the Ashe's Angler, both which could be stretched to 16 feet. I'd appreciate any other thoughts on plans to consider.

Rick

This sounds like an excellent application for designing your own hull. Do you have any experience with 3D modeling software? If so that would help. But I didn't have any experience at all and after some frustrating trial and error I had good success with Delfship. There was a free version at the time. I don't know if there still is.

Johnathan Winters' "Shape of the canoe" was a huge asset as well.

It was great fun, I learned a ton, and I ended up with some really cool hulls that fit my needs perfectly but weren't available commercially.

I found the designing to be more fulfilling than building. If it's something you're interested in I'd be happy to try and help where I can. It's probably been 5-6 years since I've done anything with the software but I might still retain a little.

Alan

I had good success with Delfship. There was a free version at the time. I don't know if there still is.

I can confirm from recent experience that Delftship free edition is still alive and well. For those that don't run windows, it behaves perfectly under WINE.

all seem to prefer 16 feet or longer, symmetrical, stable, high volume tandems.
polers tend to like a flatter bottom as well

I suspect that these two are related. A hull with a flat bottom and enough beam to provide some static stability will by its nature be fairly high-volume.

I would recommend Gil Gilpatricks Wabanaki design. It's an excellent poling canoe, good on flat water, and gets the job done in whitewater. It will hold a lot of gear.
I built mine at 65 pounds, with a lot of layers of fiberglass. Gil has built it under 45 pounds, it's all in his book.

This sounds like an excellent application for designing your own hull.
I never considered this, but it's intriguing. I have no experience with 3-D modeling software so it may be a heavy lift. I'll think on it, and thank you for your generous offer to help.
Johnathan Winters' "Shape of the canoe" was a huge asset as well.
This has been on my radar for a while. Time to read it now.
polers tend to like a flatter bottom as well.
I agree. Most of my poling has been in a Mad River Explorer which has a fairly flat bottom.
I can confirm from recent experience that Delftship free edition is still alive and well.
I'll check it out. Thanks.
I would recommend Gil Gilpatricks Wabanaki design.
Thanks for the recommendation. A couple of CTN members have built the Wabanaki. I have Gil's book and the station form templates. I'll take a look at them.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Rick

Back