• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Lobster Lake, W Branch Penobscot, and Chesuncook

Welcome to site membership, gyork! You are most welcome to directly post canoe trip reports and any other messages, photos and videos in our many canoe-related forums. We look forward to your contributions to our canoe community.

Very well written, detailed and photographed trip report. While I understand your cautions to a sea kayak forum, I will note that Chesuncook Lake has been paddled by tens of thousands of canoes. For centuries! But, yes, watch out for winds on all big lakes in a canoe.

Thanks, Glenn. Of course you are correct. I have edited my report!

Last edited:
My son-in-law and I will be doing almost exactly the same trip in two weeks. Thanks for the detailed trip report. Fingers crossed about wind on the big lake.

Nice trip report, Gyork! That is one of my favorite canoe destinations. I've never been south of Chesuncook Village on the big lake, but during one of those visits we managed to surf a 17' MR Explorer in 3.5 foot waves that were having their tips blown off by gusts! Dipping in behind Graveyard Point felt like eddying out of a giant river! I hope to explore the rest of the lake one day, although honestly I prefer to stay on the river, lol!

I've never been south of Chesuncook Village on the big lake, but during one of those visits we managed to surf a 17' MR Explorer in 3.5 foot waves that were having their tips blown off by gusts! Dipping in behind Graveyard Point felt like eddying out of a giant river! I hope to explore the rest of the lake one day, although honestly I prefer to stay on the river, lol!
I'm hoping to not surf big waves in my MR Explorer when we get to the big lake in about 10 days. I'm watching the 14 day forecast and so far what I've learned is that it keeps changing.

I paddled the length of Chesuncook over 2 days when it was an absolute sheet of glass. I may be the ONLY person to have ever done so.

I paddled the length of Chesuncook over 2 days when it was an absolute sheet of glass. I may be the ONLY person to have ever done so.
Maybe.. We paddled the length of it in one day as the mares tails filled the sky.. Sheet of glass. Next day it was sheets of rain..four inches and howling wind. But two days is a stretch.

All of my other four visits to Chesuncook Lake involved what I like to call lightly to moderately "textured" water; nothing like that howling maelstrom of my first visit. I've never seen it "glassy". Maybe one day I'll get lucky.

Back