• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Lobster Lake to Allagash Gateway Campground Questions

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip starting Weds., Aug 11th from Lobster Stream (1st night in Lobster Lake) and ending I think at the Allagash Gateway Campground. There will be 5 of us and three canoes (Souris River Prospector 17', Old Town Penobscot 16' and a Bell Morning Star 15'6") so one guys has to solo. The questions I know I should ask are:

Should we worry about the wind on Chesuncook, which way is the prevailing wind? If we get early starts on that lake is wind less likely? My experience with wind is about 100% of our trips, but I have read comments of waves as high 3' - I've never paddles with those kind of waves.

We are going to use the Penobscot as the solo - is that a good choice?

If Chesuncook is not a good choice is there an extension to the trip where I can get a shuttle for our vehicles?

Are there any recommended shuttle services?

I appreciate any input and if there are questions I should have asked please let me know - thank you.

Bob

You might check your dates. the 11th is a Monday ! It would be terrible for you to be two days late and your group left.

Allagash Gateway should do shuttle to Lobster. Yes the wind on Chesuncook can be powerful. Prevailing from the south right now. You may be able to avoid bad winds by rising before sunup and getting on the water early at sunup. Its about a two day trip down the lake.
The Penobscot is a big boat to solo. Whoever paddles it needs to have time off. Lots of skin friction there.

If you want a smaller boat I have several dedicated solos I can drop off at your store. I recommend the Curtis Nomad. of yours the best boat to solo is the Morningstar.

You can leave at Chesuncook village if the wind gods are not smiling. You can put your trip efforts into going north into Black Pond and camping at Canvas Dam..explore Umbazooksus Lake.

There are people and phones at Chesuncook Village if you need a ride back to Allagash Gateway Campground. Now Chesuncook Village has a road.

Gero Island (across from the village ) has lots of nice campsites but none at all on the back side of the island.

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/docs/maps/seboomprc.pdf

Last edited:
Kim,

Thanks for the info - I have been saying the 11th and confusing everyone for a month. My excuse is I was looking at Sept., but who wants to hurry summer, after last winter. I would like to take you up on the offer of the solo. The Morningstar is asymmetrical and I have been wary of soloing it. Please send me your email address to mine ramdnm@gmail.com. I do want to avoid taking unnecessary risk, so I will look into your suggestions.

Bob

Don't underestimate the potential for trouble on Chesuncook. Don't do a crossing if its bad. If you have a south wind it usually means bad weather and often it will blow all night. If you have a north wind it often dies at night and you can paddle at night or very early am and get the heck out of there. The water on Chesuncook is often drawn down a LOT during the summer for raft outfits on the West Branch. Still, it is pretty. Just too bad they pull the water down so darn low.

I have been on Chesuncook with a crazy northwest wind pushing us down-lake, surfing 3 foot waves with the tops getting blown off. It was no fun. Fortunately we were exiting at Chesuncook Village, and were able to eddy out of the madness behind Cemetery Point.

Extending the trip up Caucogomoc Stream/Black Pond, and/or up Umbazooksis are options if Chesuncook looks too crazy. The Chesuncook Lakehouse in the village will do a shuttle for you if you need it.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here. I think we will watch the weather very closely and think safety. Thank you for all the input, it's great to have a forum like this. Any campsite suggestions? I want the guys to have a good time. Last year I sort of blew it - I need to redeem myself.

Big Island North is a mountain goat climb. I like Big Ragamuff, Little Ragamuff. Pine Stream is very heavily eroded rooty but with tent platforms. Longley Stream has tent pads. Any of the Gero are nice. I think 4 is the one we like farthest to the south. Canvas Dam is very nice with small beach. Ouelltettes and Smarts never impressed me much.

If you go down Chesuncook , Red Brook is a gorgeous campsite. You have to go around on the backside of the peninsula to find it. Its not visible from the main body of the lake. Mouser Island is really heavily used.

On Lobster I kind of like Little Claw cause its by itself. In the off seasons the Ogden Cove sites are nice.

On Lobster, I don't think you can beat the beach at Ogden Point. Except maybe the one at Little Cove, which also gives you an option for a cool hike up Lobster Mountain. I've also camped at Boyscout, which was nice.

I've always stopped on Thoreau Island headed down the West Branch Penobscot. I love that site. Pine Stream is even better, but with room for only two tents (one near the ledge and one on a platform). Big and Little Ragamuff are good, and Boom House has a lot of room to spread out. Unlike YC, I actually like Smarts. I do agree with her assessment of Canvas Dam...very nice site with a good beach and a nice overlook.

-rs

Back