• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Lila to LTL Key Swap or Trip

G

I'm going to get this out there early.

I'd like to do the Lila to LTL traverse some time this summer and I don't have a bike robust enough to complete the loop.

Wife and I could drive separately but it's a lot of gas money (especially with my truck). Payed shuttle is an option but also expensive.

I know this isn't exactly a popular trip but in terms of 4 day (it can be done in two) it is one of the nicer ones I believe.

So as to avoid group incompatibility I'd suggest a key swap as an option.

For those unfamiliar and in particular to this trip one party would park at or near the Ranger Headquarters on Little Tupper Lake and the other would park at the Lila parking lot.

We'd meet along the route and swap keys to our vehicles. We'd then meet on the last day, say noon at one of the lots (we only need one car to rendezvous) and swap our keys back.

The other option would be to do the same route in the same direction with cars in both lots.

Either way works for me. My trips need to include Saturday and Sunday (so Thurs to Sunday, Friday to Mon, or Sat to Tues) - I prefer Thurs to Sun.

My available dates are from Thursday July 10th to Tuesday August 26th.

I also have interest in doing this from Lows to Inlet on the Oswegatchie although a key swap might not be the best option there. Same dates and condition apply.

Trips could possibly be shortened to 3 days but I'd rather have more time than be hurried.

Please PM me if interested and we can discuss more.

Thanks,
Mike

Here is some more info:

My proposed itinerary is:

First Day:

Travel and meet at Ranger Headquarters by 1pm.

Group A stays first night on LTL, Group B stays first night on Lila.

Second Day:

Plan to meet near or on Hardigan Pond and swap keys.

Group A plan to camp at Little Salmon Lake, Group B plan to camp at Rock Pond.

Third Day:

Group A to Lila and camp there for the night. Group B to LTL and camp there for night.

Fourth Day:

Group A to Lila parking lot. Group B to Ranger Headquarters. Plan to meet at Ranger HQ at noon to 1pm (Group A drives from Lila lot). Swap keys, go grab gear and head home.

Here is a TR outlining the route:

http://www.jimmuller.com/canoe-trips/little-tupper-to-lake-lila/

Mike,
I'm interested, I'll talk to my wife and check the calendar. If it looks doable I'll PM you.

Thanks
Aaron

Excellent. I'd assume by your location allowing half day on either end will work well for you?

Look forward to hearing from you.

PS There need not only be two groups. If you've been wanting to do this trip and the shuttle is hanging you out, join in! I'm sure we can come up with plan to move people around and keep the solitude.

Yes, it takes me about 7 hours to drive to Lows so I'll figure that in.

I know I've read about this trip before but I need to look it over, not sure how my wife will feel about the carries.

Mike,

Have you considered a shuttle with some other paddlers?
If I were going to be there, I would gladly donate an hour of my day to help you shuttle your own car from LTL to Lila parking lot.
Wife and gear and boat can stay at LTL while you and your car go to Lila, and some kind, fellow paddler can shuttle you back to LTL...

Aaron,

As far as I know, it's not easy. But, that said, I think only the 2nd day will be tough and that is due to some lengthy, mucky and possibly scantily marked carries. My wife is not hardcore - she can handle one tough day, that is why I'd have to do it the way I suggested.

It would be about the same distance to Lila as to Lows. If you can make it by 1pm on a weekday should be plenty of time to get in the water and find a site for the night.

Mike,

I'd consider that as well. Let me know when and if you planning on being out there this summer and that would work great.

I'd prefer to dump everything at Tupper and start there... all I would need is a ride back to the Ranger HQ.

Thanks,
Mike

Aaron,

We could do that as well if you had a preference on direction or didn't want to worry about meeting in the middle or at the end i.e. move our cars off the bat and just go. That might be nice because we can each go at our own pace.

Also, if anyone might be interested in the same thing for the Lows to Oz journey, let me know!

PS If one were to give me a lift to start a trip I'd surely return the favor down the road. We plan on doing a few more mellow trips on into fall where we could arrange something like that.

Also I'll be in the Inlet/Raquette Lake area during 4th of July weekend car camping with my sister, so I'd be able to help stage a trip for anyone then.

If you decide to go from Lila to LTL you will be going upstream on all of the streams involved. (Except Rock Pond outlet)

Not a huge deal, but something to consider.

If I were available during that time I would have helped with the shuttle/swap. But alas, my summer is spoken for.

I wanted to bring this up again and see if anyone was interested in going. I'm not planning on doing the trip with another group, just helping us (and them) move cars.

My tentative dates for this are Thrus 8/21 to Sunday 8/24. I may have some flexibility on dates but I only have two vacation days allotted for this trip, so some part needs to be during the weekend.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, My wife took a new job a couple months ago and has limited vacation for this year. We had to move some plans around and I forgot about this. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Aaron

Thanks for the update. We never wound up doing that one but we were able to do some other stuff instead. It all worked out OK.

bcelect,
The person who started this thread has left the website, hence the "Guest" user name. Sorry for the confusion, it's a problem that is currently on the "things to get done" list.

Wonder who this guest was/is and why they don't just register? It shows they are from Pickwick, MN which is where I live, small world. Pickwick is a small unincorporated little place of 50 or so homes in the bluffs of southern Minnesota just a couple of miles off of the mighty sippi.

BWCA66 - It's interesting that you see the person being from your location. When I see his info it has my location. Don't know if that's a quirk in the system or what but I did find it surprising. No worries though. Of course, I was a bit disappointed not to find another like minded soul from my area. Guess I'll have to continue paddling solo when my wife is at work and our students are away.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Guys,
the "guest" is a former member...some of you may remember him as l'oisseau...
And surprise!! He's also from Schenectady.

stripperguy - That was my guess. I also remember him being referred to as "bird" from time to time. Didn't know he is from Schenectady though. I always thought by what he wrote he was from western NYS. No worries though. It's all good.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back