• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Lightweight Solo Tripping

I've looked at people's gear over the years, paddling and backpacking, and with some folks, I'm amazed at what they bring "just in case". Some of the best advice I ever read involved making 3 piles of gear when you get home... that which you used DIALY, that which you used only once or twice, and that which you never used. "Then, if you are resolute, discard the latter two piles." If nothing else, this causes one to look harder at, and expect more from, one's gear. A scale and spreadsheet help too... Ounces very quickly become pounds. And less gear is easier to keep track of and pack up. You notice when something's missing. Almost everything has a lighter substitute. The trick there is to find a light piece of gear that is either durable or economically replaceable.

The easiest place to start is with what folks call "the big three", which are shelter, sleeping bag, and pack... Here, simple substitution can save pounds quickly... Of course, there are trade-offs. My own system now involves a hammock (not really lighter, but way more convenient), a down bag, and one of two ultralight packs (essentially 20 oz nylon sacks w/straps, a single large compartment, and a couple water bottle pockets). I own the best my purse could afford, saved for years for some of it, but now have gear that will last a lifetime, and has been used without change or complaint for the past 5-8 years.

My kitchen is simple too... single pot, big enough to heat bath water, rinse clothes, and cook in (about 8 cups). Single lexan tablespoon. Koolaid jar w/lid and cozy. MSR Pocket Rocket or Simmerlite stove (backup to a fire). Sometimes a lexan mug. That's it. No strainers, spatulas, forks, whisks, percolators, extra bowls, plates, or ice chest.

Clothing is simple... For up until an early Oct trip in the Adirondacks, I need my Tilley hat, ripstop nylon pants and shirt, cotton t-shirt to sleep in, synthetic shirt to sweat in (rinsed daily), two pairs of underwear (one worn, the other 'longjohns'), two pairs of socks (one worn), a light wool sweater, my shoes, and a heavier "USGI wool field shirt". No jackets, no windshirts, no extra pants, no extra shoes unless it's pack boots, for cold water. Oh, and a knit hat and some wool gloves. In the height of summer, I don't need the field shirt, gloves, or boots.

Other gear includes a compass, map sections, first aid kit (6oz), repair kit (6oz), pocket knife, whistle, headlamp, notebook and pencil, tissues (for my glasses), TP and some wet wipes, Polar Pure, a couple old water bottles (not Nalgene), a couple lighters, some tinder in an old prescription bottle, and I think that's it... All of the latter fit in a small waterproof bag that fits in an outside compartment of my pack.

Food and stove fuel vary with trip, but I figure about 2lbs per day out. I may also bring a saw and hatchet/ax if I'm going to be in one place for awhile, exploring from there, and they weigh about 2-4 lbs together, depending on which ones I bring.

Great suggestions for lightening the load. I have begun to explore ways to modify what I bring with me. Although I like to enjoy my food, it is amazing how food can add greatly to the pack weight. Clif bars are a great source of energy and gorp is a staple of any trip, but both are quite heavy if you plan to consume them each and every day. Peanut butter is another staple that has weight issues. Dehydrated food is not a quick pick-me-up and is relatively expensive. I think I spend much more time selecting food items (consumables) than gear (overhead). I'm not one to apply the mantra "food is merely fuel". And if someone actually finds dehydrated Zinfandel, I'd like to be notified immediately!

Just saw some powdered Peanut Butter - that was a first and would certainly lighten the load a little

Don't be too quick to dis peanut butter. When planning a lighter menu, don't look just at weight. Check the food's caloric density: calories per ounce. Peanut butter is 166 calories per ounce. There aren't many foods that are higher, unless you're into eating sticks of butter (203 cal./oz.), or guzzling olive oil (251 cal./oz.) straight from the bottle.

While I love Clif Bars (100 cal./oz.), I have to limit how much I depend upon them. I take a lot of hot chocolate mix (112 cal./oz.), fortified with Nido dried milk (152 cal./oz.). Dark chocolate is over 180 cal./oz., so you can go let your sweet tooth go crazy.

Pete

Good nutrition is an important part of my menu planning... as I said earlier, I plan for the food to be 2lbs per day... if it's less, that's great, but I never cut food just to lighten the load. I try to find dehydrated stuff if at all possible. I also carry a day's extra, just in case, on trips 5 days or less (most of mine). I can then also help folks out without too much trouble, or lose part of a lunch to a chipmunk or whatever.

I use a Solo Stove that burns wood. This saves weight,space and money by not buying fuel. I have a Jet Boil and a Markill gas stove. The Markill still works great after 10 years and the Jet Boil is good for boiling water but will not stay lit when trying to simmer.

I use a Solo Stove that burns wood. This saves weight,space and money by not buying fuel. I have a Jet Boil and a Markill gas stove. The Markill still works great after 10 years and the Jet Boil is good for boiling water but will not stay lit when trying to simmer.

I couldn't agree more. I only carried liquid fuel once. That wasn't a solo trip and it was my very first backcountry canoe trip at age 13. I will not be doing it again.

Back