• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Left a paddle at Hemlock lake, NY, launch last week

Reaction score
As indicated in the adjacent thread I stupidly left an Old Town beavertail paddle at the launch. I was distracted trying to get my new boat on the car and drove off without it.

If anyone found it or knows of someone that found it I'd appreciate the opportunity to get it back.
Thanks.

Kbobb, I'm sure you've thought of this, but surely Dave Curtis would take a look since you just bought a boat from him.

Kbobb, I'm sure you've thought of this, but surely Dave Curtis would take a look since you just bought a boat from him.
Yes Glenn - checked with Dave that day and his wife kindly went down there but no paddle.

I was at the South launch last Sunday. Did not see a paddle. Sorry. Good luck.
Thanks - appreciate the reply. There were some folks camped out near there on the lake shore and a few folks fishing and paddling - probably thought it washed ashore or claimed it as a gift from the gods.
An excuse to look for another as companion to my ZRE. My son has a bending branches beavertail and it is a nice paddle for the price. Too bad Foxworx is out of business - I have an old bentshaft Camp paddle which is pretty nice.

A number of years ago, I left a paddle behind at a beach. Later that night I got a call from a fellow who found it and called me. At that point I did not know I was missing a paddle. How nice to be reunited with my nice carbon paddle.

Buying a sheet of golf club labels was instrumental in that paddle recovery. About 20 labels to a sheet, they are durable and waterproof. I had a label with my contact info on that paddle shaft. The guy who wants to do the right thing needs to know who to contact.

Buying a sheet of golf labels can pay dividends.

A number of years ago, I left a paddle behind at a beach. Later that night I got a call from a fellow who found it and called me. At that point I did not know I was missing a paddle. How nice to be reunited with my nice carbon paddle.

Buying a sheet of golf club labels was instrumental in that paddle recovery. About 20 labels to a sheet, they are durable and waterproof. I had a label with my contact info on that paddle shaft. The guy who wants to do the right thing needs to know who to contact.

Buying a sheet of golf labels can pay dividends.
Excellent idea! - looking them up online now - thanks for this.

Buying a sheet of golf club labels was instrumental in that paddle recovery.

In my whitewater heyday in the '80's and ''90's, losing a paddle downstream was a fairly common occurrence. Many of us would simply write our names and contact info on our paddle blades with indelible markers. Using nice labels on paddles is a much more elegant solution.

I used a mailing label and covered that with gorilla tape

Welcome to site membership and posting, James! We look forward to your participation in our canoe community. You might consider adding your location to your profile so it shows up under your avatar.

kbobb,

Spent most of yesterday at Hemlock.

Checked everywhere, even went in the woods around the launch in case someone tossed it in the bush for a later pick up.

Would have loved to reunited you two!

kbobb,

Spent most of yesterday at Hemlock.

Checked everywhere, even went in the woods around the launch in case someone tossed it in the bush for a later pick up.

Would have loved to reunited you two!
Thanks a lot for the effort KO - much appreciated.

Supposedly a 78% recovery rate for lost property having a Karmik scannable decal.

You can create a QR code with your contact info for free. Print it on a sticker or varnish over it. Most folks in my industry have a photo of theirs on their phone for someone to scan instead of trading business cards. I imagine this practice became wide spread with Covid.

That said, I’d probably rather lose the item than be reminded of technology related to work while paddling. I’d rather just have my name and number on the item if I felt it necessary.

I’m not sure I could get anything to stick on an oiled paddle. I’m considering using a punch set to strike my name and number into a paddle, then fill the text with some black Minwax PU. Burning in would be better and less damaging. I suppose I could heat the punches with a torch?

Last edited:
Supposedly a 78% recovery rate for lost property having a Karmik scannable decal.

Those are nice but pricey. I guess the cost of rewards.

Back