• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Layup Lining Holes

I emailed Dan the Tugeye man. He still exists but the Tugeye 2's are out of stock, so your $40 is coming back. Can you PM me your email address? Thanks.

Lining holes or not?

Unless you plan on doing a lot of lining I’m not sure installing near waterline holes is worth the effort. We have low lining holes in a couple of more whitewaterish RX trippers, but they are rarely used. Our composite canoes with float tanks do not have lining holes down low through the tanks; my lining skills are rudimentary at best, and unless lining is absolutely necessary I’m more likely to eff, lose control and trash the canoe trying to line it than carry it. YMMV.

Only one of my composite canoes has float chambers, and on that one the above-the-tank location works well.

Agreed. The standard painter line holes work well enough for non-lining purposes. In some ways, depending on the type of water you usually paddle, and how you affix your painter lines having the hole up higher may have advantages.

Having a painter line attached further up the stems is less likely to get tangled on sticks or branches on small streams or dragging over beaver dam, even more so with painter lines affixed with a grab loop.

There isn’t much to grab hold on at the stems with a spray cover in place, so our spray covered canoes not only have grab loop, they have a tubing toggle in the loop to make them more hand comfy.

P1200063 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

P2160522 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

One alternative to lower lining holes is to use a lining bridle. This thread, or lots of how-to videos.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums.../general-discussion/31556-canoe-lining-bridle

Back