• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Late 1930's Canadian Canoe Company "Habitant" ~~SOLD~~

Reaction score
16 foot wood/canvas canoe.

Fully restored in 2014.

Located in Warren, Manitoba

$2500. Negotiable

Last edited:
nice looking boat!! I like how it keeps its width from end to end..

It is not a tripping boat, it would be a cruiser or pleasure model. It would be something you covet due to it's age and lineage. CCC was a part of Chestnut at that time, as was Peterborough Canoes. The boat had copper tacks, likely due to a shortage of brass during the beginning of the second world war. There certainly are not many of them around anymore.

I would trip in that boat, especially if it involved some fast water. It is similar to the Old Town Guide models.

That is a beauty. I'd build a special storage rack for that sweet thing and take it out for calm water Sunday mornin' paddles.

Well I for one would just like to paddle it once before we get rid of it. It is a cruiser type with a fairly narrow beam and should actually be a really nice handling boat. I want to take the lines off of it too in case I want to reproduce it or try a stripper build.

Christy

So very nice. I wish that I had the space, money, and time to use it. Sadly, I have neither.

Just curious as to how much it weighs?

We never weighed it. I was still recovering from rotator cuff and tendonitis issues in both shoulders and Christy was only a month post heart attack. I bet it is well over 70 pounds though. My 14 foot Chestnut weighs 57.

We pulled it out for photo's, put it on the rack in the boat house and it never moved again.

When we first went and looked at this boat we took a pass. It had been fibreglassed and although the owner had removed the stuff we did not want to deal with the time it would take to remove the resin from between the planking. About a month went by and the fellow contacted us and said if we didn't take it he was going to send it to the landfill. So, we took it on. We knew the boat was originally his grandmothers, she had got it as a birthday gift, so we had provenance to a degree on the canoe. It came with a sail and all the fixings, although the boat never came from the factory for sailing. The mast foot had been fashioned from a cedar 2x6 and screwed into the bow stem. The whole rigging was from Peterborough, but CCC and Pete were owned by Chestnut at the time so it was one company in a sense.

It took much work to remove the glass, replace the ribs and planking. This boat has copper tacks which is how we dated it. White cedar ribs, red cedar planking gives it a distinctive look for sure. I did my best to replicate what we had to work with as far as decks and outwales were concerned. I think it came out pretty well.

We returned the line of the gunnels to what looks correct ...that is usually pretty accurate... and it comes out to 15 x 31 x12. Technically speaking it may be a model called a Chinook, but it is really hard to say. This boat has a couple of unusual features. No keel, and there are no holes in the ribs to show it ever had one. Also, tapered ribs which no one can really make sense of either. It has fairly wide planking too which indicates pre war construction, when they still had trees big enough to do that.

It does have the crowned decks with the heart shaped lobes that are typical of a Canadian as opposed to Pete or Chestnut, and the number stamped in the stem seems to work for that too. There was no decal or builders plate affixed to it when we got it so it is a very educated guess from a couple of professional restorers we know as to what it is.

What it IS, is a really good boat that should paddle very nicely. We are taking it with us next week to paddle around a bit when we are on holidays to check it out.

Back