• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Knives and other bladed tools

Reaction score
As the ice slowly melts, I've been doing my usual spring organizing. Somehow my organized stuff gets disorganized over the winter. Got me thinking about knives. I usually have an assortment of knives with me, small folders scattered around in bags, in my pockets, etc...and also a larger folder in a sheath on my belt. I also usually take along a hatchet/small axe, mostly for firewood. I almost never use it. In fact, I probably never would, except I feel obligated to use it since I brought it along.

I was thinking of switching to a fixed blade knife. Question: How many of you carry a fixed blade belt knife with you when out on a trip? I was thinking actually, of carrying a USAF survival knife that was given to me from the AF ROTC program way (way) back when when I was in college. It seems like over-kill, but I have used it to baton through some fairly substantial limbs. It can take the place of my small axe in this regards.

Problem is, I feel kinda like Rambo...It's has a 5 inch blade with saw teeth on the spine. The pommel is specifically made for pounding, so I could pound stakes, etc with it as well. So it is very functional for heavy duty knife use, but I still would want my small pocket knife with me. And a fillet knife if fishing....

I don't at all care for knives specifically made for paddling that you see ww kayakers sticking to their life vests. They are of limited usefulness on a trip. I don't care for Mora knives, either, which because of their synthetic handle are popular among some boaters.

What are your thoughts on knives? Thanks.

It seems like the only cutting I do on canoe trips is cutting rope. For that purpose a reasonably sharp pocket knife and a lighter (to prevent fraying) is all I need.
Filleting fish, batoning firewood, and WW rescue would call for specialized knifes, though.

Sweetfancymoses, I think you hit the nail on the hear and that's my dilemma. Other than cutting rope and food prep, I don't use a knife all that much (but probably more than I realize). But I feel somehow naked without a reliable knife on me if things go bad. So I want a good knife with me that can help me out of a bad situation. In a survival situation, I feel fixed blades are a better tool, but I really don't know if I want to wear one.

I find that I can do everything I need to do with my Leatherman Wave and my axe. One or the other will do the job. The Wave has a variety of tools that I use A LOT.

I've got a really nice little axe and part of me wants to bring it when tripping just because I like using it. The other part of me is aware that I've always gotten by with a saw and knife and that I'm more likely to injure myself with the axe. So it normally gets left at home and I save a couple pounds of gear weight. Instead I carry a Buck 119: http://www.buckknives.com/product/119-special-knife/0119FAM01/

It's huge at 6" but I use it to baton firewood so in that regard it's much nicer than a 4". I also read a story once about a guy who killed a black bear with a Buck 119 while solo when the bear attacked his dog. Probably irrational reasoning but I also carry it because of that (I'm always solo with my dog). Otherwise it's complete overkill. I carry a small folder in my pocket and it's used for most of the "normal" knife tasks and its thinner blade is also more effective at making wood shavings to start a fire.

My pants have two front pockets on the right side and the second one is zippered and just long enough to fit the buck knife and sheath. Sometimes it's uncomfortable in there but it's also nice not to have it swinging around on my hip all the time.

Still debating about whether or not to bring the axe on my big trip this summer. Sometimes batoning with the knife is easy, sometimes not so much. Would certainly be easier with the axe. But then again, I've always gotten by before. I'll likely make my final decision when I get my pack completely loaded and try to pick it up. I'll probably be more than happy to drop two pounds at that point.

Alan

I have mentioned this before. A hacking knife is great for batoning up to about 2" diameter wood, and is much lighter than an axe. A good compromise to take along in addition to a saw and pocket knife.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Madmike: I think I must be the only person who uses knives for the outdoors that doesn't like Mora knives. I don't know why. I've just never warmed up to them. But by all accounts, you are 100% correct that they are top quality at a really good price.

Qayaq: I have a Leatherman with me usually, too. Stashed away in one of my small packs so I can get it easily. I have other folding pocket knives with me to, usually. Thing is, I'm looking to eliminate my axe (maybe) and have a reliable knife if all goes south on me. The Leatherman is certainly useful, but I like having something a little more substantial with me. Maybe I'm being paranoid and don't need a more substantial knife. I don't know. That's part of what I'm trying to work through in my head.

Alan: Hopefully I won't have to fend off any bears. But batoning through campfire wood - yes. I've never really considered a saw, maybe i need to bring that into the puzzle I'm trying to solve for myself.

DaveO - that's an interesting looking knife. Looks like it's made specifically for batoning (and obviously hacking). Maybe not the right one for wrestling with black bears, though. Still picturing Alan's story of someone killing a black bear with a 6 in blade. I'd rather not try!

In my personal and limited experience I've found what works best for me at the moment is a small axe, saw and folder. I've moved to smaller fires and so have moved to a smaller axe (hatchet). There's no shortage of wood where I go, so I simply choose smaller diameters for my smaller fires. Many of these can be broken underfoot without pulling out blade tools for the job. The folding saw still comes along for the trip but I use it less and less. No longer choosing larger logs to cut and split saves me time and effort. I used to really enjoy wood processing but now less so. It can be wonderful though cutting 4" diameter logs to tap split for several fires. The saw will also be handy if we come across blowdown on a trail. I'm seriously considering downsizing the saw. And I hate cutting rope. I've swapped out all my odd lengths of it for set lengths for tarp etc (20' and 60') and don't want to end up with an annoying collection of cut rope ever again. It's no big deal to use say 10' of a length and leave it intact coiled right where it is. We have scary sharp (all blades should be) food prep knives (2) which stay with the kitchen stuff. The 3 folders are stashed in various places, one of which is in my pocket. Rippy's gonna laugh at me, which I'm very comfortable with, but I still haven't committed to a fixed blade yet...after all these years of pondering a purchase. The fact is I just don't see a purpose for one on our trips yet. Yet. Seeing Memequay stylin' his kicked back attitude carving bite-sized slabs of double smoked bacon with a big blade has me rethinking the whole fixed blade thing all over again.
To each his/her own.

Last edited:
I feel my saw is what really allows me to leave the axe at home. I use it for collecting firewood but most importantly use it for clearing portage trail obstructions. Without an axe or saw I don't think I could clear them but would have to find a way around or through instead.

Last year I picked up a Silky folding saw, with about a 10" blade, and was very happy with ii. Especially the compact size and ease of deployment. I keep it in my gear pack, which is first across a portage. I can usually get the gear pack through any obstructions and then pull the saw out to clear trail on the way back for the other pack and gear. When I'm not using the saw I can fold it up and carry it in my pocket. Works just like a big pocket knife.

Like Odyssey said many times you don't need any tools to process firewood. I normally keep my fires small and use them mainly for cooking; but when it's been wet and rainy and I want a fire to dry off and keep warm it's nice to have the ability to cut up and split larger pieces of wood, if for no other reason than to have something to do while waiting out the rain

Alan

I'm in the camp of the axe believer.... I always cary an axe with me. I also carry a folding saw, I have a small pruning pull saw in my first aid/emergency/repair kit. And I carry a Bob's saw on long trips. I also cary a knife or two... I'm not in a rush, we don't really have to portage up here, so no need to go ultra light and be anal about what we bring... That said I'm always trying to cut a bit of the bulk and weight every trip... But an axe will always be at my side!!
( Most everything you can do with an knife I can do with an axe... And it is way better a fitting a bear to:rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Searched up the original post from the bear incident I was thinking of. Starts with a link to a newspaper article and the actual person involved (samsman) chimes in farther down on the first page. He gives his actual account of the incident on page 3. http://www.myccr.com/phpBB3_PROD/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=17372

I thought maybe I'd start carrying a smaller knife this summer. After re-reading that I'll be sticking with the Buck.

Alan

I carry a fixed-blade on my belt when canoeing or in my fishing boat. I have a fero rod secured to the sheath with some inner-tube material so if I become separated from the rest of my gear I at least have the capability for shelter and fire. I also wear a couple of paracord bracelets so I have around 20 feet of good cordage with me too.

Question: How many of you carry a fixed blade belt knife with you when out on a trip?

What are your thoughts on knives? Thanks.

I take a fixed blade along, but not instead of anything. I use my folder for most knife tasks. I use an axe for axe work, a saw for sawing and a knife for normal knife tasks. I guess I'm no fun. My sheath knife see's little to no use but I feel more comfortable have one along in case I need it. I like my folder and don't wish to destroy it doing heavier work better suited to a fixed blade.
As far as Mora knives go I like the style and the materials but I'm not a fan of the "scandi" grind. Most people I know couldn't properly resharpen it to a "sharp condition". Wouldn't matter though cause most people I'm around use dull knives and don't seem to notice anyway. Be assured though that most members of this site are above average when it comes to using hand tools. Check out all the DIY threads.

An added bonus of bringing a sheath knife is if you get bored you can stick it in a log and take pictures of it like this.

11210435_1011406472227206_5603529642582926851_n.jpg

Or this.

560342_481853795182479_280101014_n.jpg

I would like to mention that I don't recommend wearing a fixed blade on your belt in case you fall on it. I carry mine in my day pack. I wear my folder on my belt. My biggest concern while canoe tripping is not large critters, it's that I might fall and get injured far from the truck.

I do cary a fix blade on most trip, most of the time it is a filet knife with a fairly stiff blade( for a fillet knife) I really like the long skinny blade. But I don't cary it at my belt often, mostly in my day bag!

I'm not sure why, but I sort of expected a different range of replies to this post. Perhaps due to the number of traditionalist campers on here I thought there would be more fixed blade addicts.

So here is my preference: something around a 4" blade, drop point, scandi or convex grind in good stainless for summer or a carbon steel in winter. Spine should be ground square for scraping tinder or striking a fire steel. I prefer full tang knives but am OK with good stick tang like Helle. Scales should be wood or micarta and no guard or other doo-dads that force me to hold the knife in a particular way.

I always wear a belt knife, mostly an Enzo Trapper though I also have a full custom Fallkniven F1 which is the Swedish pilot survival knife. The spine is very thick and I find it too heavy for most of what I do.

One day when I win the lottery (or the Cdn$ gets back to parity!) I will buy a Bark River Aurora in the Elmax stainless, maple burl scales with red liners.

Sorry to disappoint you Chris...lol. I used to carry the super Rambo killer knife many years ago but I have settled on the cheapo Canadian Tire generic folder. Oddly enough I buy slightly better knives for other people...nicer looking at least. But I always go back to the classic brass and wood folder.

I do take an axe most times and have used a machete too when clearing ports. I have a handy little Coghlans folding saw that will be going along now too. Really though, for fires I just score some wood off the beaver lodges as its usually nice and dry, or forage in the bush for whatever is already down and can be broken up by hand like Brad does. Minimalist.

Except for chain saws. Ya gotta have a chain saw if you are doing serious bush clearing. Honest. And I imagine, in my head at least, that I would do better in a chain saw match with a bear than I would a knife fight.

Christy

Being a butcher for over ten years I'm particular about my knives. I carry the same small folding Gerber that I've had on me for the last 30 years in my front pants pocket in addition to a straight knife that I wear around my neck scandi style. I find the scandi neck knife easier to access than a belt knife, especially if wearing a coat. I also cut myself putting a knife back in a belt sheath one time. There is a leatherman and Swiss army knife in my repair kit but I don't use the blades on them.

I carry a small axe or hatchet and a schmitt saw for firewood and port clearing if needed so I don't need a large knife. I will sometimes bring the axe in the tent at night for peace of mind. A very dear friend was attacked while asleep in his tent by a griz and was severely injured but survived. (Helmuth Port)

As far as fighting off a bear with a knife, it was done by a previous employer of mine,(Gene Moe) He was dressing out a deer on Kodiak Island with his rifle leaned up against a tree when a griz attacked him. He ended up killing the bear with his knife and had to crawl back to camp with serious injuries. He attributed his survival to toughness aquired through a lifetime of concrete work, he was 68 at the time.

Back