• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Knife maintenance

Reaction score
I had planned to go for a local paddle today but wind, cold, and rain dissuaded me! So I sharpened a couple of knives instead. Among my knives, my favorite is my Yukon Hunter. I sharpened the blade, polished the rosewood handle and brass rivets, and put a bit of linseed oil on the handle.

The small silver triangle is a piece of jewelry silver I inlaid into the handle back in 1966 to commemorate my first mountain climb- Mt. Washington, NH 6,288'. For me it's also a visceral link back to my earliest canoeing days on the Allagash in 1967, and Algonquin in 1968!

Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_14ad.jpeg Views:	37 Size:	448.0 KB ID:	118542

Last edited:
I love that style knife. mine is only the cheap blue steel copy, but the same shape. Turtle

Looks like a Grohman #1 knife which is my favourite and Canadian made as well.
I wonder which came first. The Othello or the Grohman?
Thanks for sharing as it gives me the hint to get my knives sharpened!

In my (admittedly) brief research, the Othello knife company was founded in 1888 in Solingen, Germany by Anton Wingen. The Grohmann knife company was begun in 1949 in Nova Scotia I think, so Othello predates Grohmann. However, I think the so-called #1 Grohmann knife design according the Grohmann website has been copied by some 20 other companies, including my Othello version. If I'm not mistaken, the D.H.Russell belt knife is perhaps the most prolific version.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/grohmann_1_knife.htm

Otto, here's my original sheath. Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_1430.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	388.9 KB ID:	118561

Last edited:
Thanks for the Chuckhawkes url. A great history of this beautiful knife.
I have 3 already. The #1, the #4 survival and my sweetheart #3, their Army complete with C.A.F. engraving, Truth, Duty Valour.
Definitely time to get my sharpening skills back on track.
Very much appreciated, cheers Ted

Ted, I was unfamiliar with the #3 you mentioned so I looked at the Grohmann website. Doing so made me realize that i can buy a new sheath with the button-closed flap. My original sheath worries me because it no longer grips the knife handle. I’d be disappointed if it quietly slid out when i wasn’t paying attention!

Here is my submission to this thread. It’s a Herter’s. My dad bought it in 1953 the year I was born..... I found the receipt when we cleaned out the house. It is one of my favorite knives.

2C9EDB2E-E59F-4AA3-8333-B4E6AB404352.jpeg
Jim

Back