• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Issues while paddling downwind

Mike, I like the umbrella idea and have bought one for that purpose but haven't used it yet.

Glenn, I haven't had a problem keeping the boat from broaching but if I ever do I'll try turning around in the boat.

Frozentripper, I have experienced that before but I don't think the waves were big enough to have caused it recently.

YC, I love to paddle in rolling waves with no wind, especially if they are going in my direction. Unfortunately it only happened for me once.

It's embarrassing to surf rollers and flip in front of a Coast Guard patrol boat. All was ok. The rescue quick and the coasters left in the middle of it
Townsend Gut Boothbay Harbor

I like the umbrella idea and have bought one for that purpose but haven't used it yet.

Let us know when you have had a chance try out a golf umbrella sail in the bow of a tandem. One of two things will happen:

1You will be delighted by how much smoother the ride becomes when the canoe gets up to speed and is being pulled downwind by the bow.

2There won’t be enough breeze to rustle a dead leaf. The surest way to ensure calm waters is to bring a sail. Another good reason to always bring a sail.

A 5 mile an hour breeze is barely enough to add any momentum. 10 mph is good. 15 mpg is plenty and starts to get fast.

Don't feel guilty. ! You both have a job to do. Her paddling steadies the boat a bit and gives you that little bit of speed differential and you are doing the steering part
Each end of the canoe no matter wind or no has a job

Without the partnership you're a leaf drifting on the water

While I continue to pack up the house I found the small sea anchor I mentioned earlier. Rip-stop nylon a piece of stainless steel cable to keep the mouth open, it weighs very little and because of the cable it can be scrunched up into a small bag. The rim is 9", its 14" long and it has a 1" hole at the narrow end.

IMG_2615_zpsngq4j3d2.jpg

IMG_2616_zpsljuio3dr.jpg

Jim

Don't feel guilty. ! You both have a job to do. Her paddling steadies the boat a bit and gives you that little bit of speed differential and you are doing the steering part
Each end of the canoe no matter wind or no has a job

Without the partnership you're a leaf drifting on the water

Maybe the guilt came from me thinking there was a better solution and I didn't know it, and I have bad memories of my first trip back in 76' on the Susquahanna. My stern paddler seemed to be in steady rudder mode.

Jim, that sea anchor looks simple enough, it just hangs a few feet behind the boat? If so I could see using it to slow a drift while fishing too.

Back