• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Irruptive owls

Reaction score
I thought I'd share a nice video I came across lately. There has been some media coverage again this winter of the increasing numbers of Snowy Owls seen across the northeastern US and Canada. Enjoy.

"We are the stewards of more than just our backyards."

http://vimeo.com/87768951

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. I've been a pretty avid birder for about 6 years now and would love to stumble across a Snowy Owl on my home turf. I might have seen one when I was much younger while driving to a neighboring town. It was just sitting on the railroad tracks about 30 yards from the road. It was an owl and it was whitish so I assumed that's what it was. Looking back on it now I don't remember what season it was and I can't remember enough about it to say it wasn't a Barn Owl, which are quite uncommon here as well. So I guess I'll keep looking.

Alan

Thanks for posting that. They are pretty neat.

I haven't seen one yet this year (I got sandblasted off the beach when I went to look) but here's one from last year:

SnowyOwl-6.jpg by Hansen.Dougie, on Flickr

Not the best shot but I was happy to capture it at all. That's the Moriches Inlet jetty and the Atlantic Ocean in the background.

Here's another photo from another day. I don't know if it is the same Snowy Owl:

Cupsogue-3.jpg by Hansen.Dougie, on Flickr

Great, thanks. I was once hammock wilderness camping in the ADKs where there were deep dry leaves. The night critters in the leaves were keeping me awake and I could hear an owl across the lake. Then a saw a shadow cross the moon and he lit over my head-a quiet nights sleep after that.
Turtle

I've been hammock camping a couple times and had a owl in the tree directly above me. Of course I didn't realize it until 2am when they gave a loud call! After the initial startle it was very enjoyable. My favorite was the Mottled Owl when I was out sleeping alone in a Mexican jungle.

Alan

Great photos! And some awesome experiences! I've heard owls, but till last summer, only seen them from afar.
Last summer I was sitting in my back yard doing nothing (I know, wrong thread), when I saw a large bird approaching from a distance. The owl swung lower, to about 20' up, and glided right over me as I sat rigid in my Muskoka chair. Wow. No idea what kind it was, I was kinda lost in the moment "Oh please, oh please, land on the arm of my chair!!"
Been to a couple raptor rescue centres to see the birds. Loved it, but seeing them in their natural setting, while walking on a beach, or hanging in a hammock, would be incredible. Maybe I'll get lucky this winter and see a Snowy.

Thanks for sharing the fantastic video and photo Odyssey and Hanz. Much enjoyed.

Just finished an eagle survey at Lake Tahoe this morning. We saw only one, an immature bald eagle about 3 years old. It was cloudy and damp around 15 degrees out on the pier.

Last week we conducted the Christmas Bird Count. I was birding in my own neighborhood and saw 3 golden eagles, 1 bald eagle, 29 red-tails, 1 Ferruginous, 1 red-shouldered, and 1 rough-legged, 1 barn owl, lots of evening grosbeaks, and 1 red-breasted sapsucker. We got 89 species for the day.

Today we saw 3 common loons which have turned into residents. I usually see a few loons on all the big lakes in the fall when out fishing. They always remind me of the Boundary Waters and wonderful loon shows that occur every night.

Back