• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Insurance?

Reaction score
Ok. This seems like a silly question but I have to ask. Does anyone have their canoe/s insured? I know if my garage caught fire, the homeowners would come into play, but what about theft or damage away from home? Is there even insurance for that? I would hate to have to replace one or both of my Swifts out of pocket, they're still empty from the purchase!

Up here, our canoes fall under "Sporting Goods" and the maximum for that is $3000. That wouldn't even replace my Swift and leaves the other 7 canoes out of the picture entirely. We are looking at alternatives considering the stable of wood/canvas boats we have. All the associated camping equipment would fall under that as well.

Anyone have any companies that specifically cover boats/canoes?

Never really thought about it, because I only have one "real" canoe and one home-made jobbie, and they live in different places... But if I had more, I would address it. Probably go to my neighbor (an Allstate guy) and ask... some companies do niche/specialty coverage (e.g., he couldn't do my "between jobs" health insurance, but knew who could.)

You have to check with your own insurance provider for coverage limits and if they are covered under auto insurance on the road and under what conditions. A forum is probably not the best place to find out that information. You can probably get a rider for whatever.

Its not a popularity contest.

Really? I thought asking a forum full of canoe knowledgeable folks who might have personal experience was the perfect place to ask.

I had power tools stolen from my locked tool shed once. Dealing with our agent was very unpleasant. He suspected a scam claim, despite me having all purchase receipts. He wanted me to run my claim through my contractor insurance (another company).
"I'm not a carpentry contractor; these were power carpentry tools, saws, drills etc. "
"Why do you have carpentry tools?"
"I do my own work around my house."
"That's very suspicious!"
"I'm not a professional chef either, but we're kinda partial to owning our own fridge and stove."
I've since really beefed up security, including covering and locking my canoe outdoors. We've also changed insurers. I don't know about any canoe policy coverage, I'd need to check that out. I'm sure a rider could be added to home coverage, as an auto rider as well. That's something else I've never looked into. My canoe is always locked atop my vehicle as well.

The reason I said what I said is we all live in different places; sometimes different countries and have different coverage and insurers. The bottom line is make sure you can afford to lose your canoe.

Back