• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

installed web seats

Reaction score
I installed webbed seats in my OldTown Discovery (which had plastic seats). Tested it out by sitting on front seat facing backwards. I noticed it makes things much more maneuverable. Gives a lot more control over things. But, it does seem harder to paddle a straight line compared to sitting in the rear seat and placing some weight up front.

I used to paddle a tandem, and still do on occasion. Yes, in my early years, I added weight to the bow, and paddled from the stern, it worked.

You might try sitting backwards in the bow seat, and heel (lean) the boat on your strong paddling side. This should make a straighter tracking canoe.

Better yet, do what I did, and build a solo canoe ! :rolleyes:

Jim

I always rip out those molded plastic seats from Old Town. You would think the company would clue in that many solo their larger canoes and the molded seats become pretty useless.

IMG_0309

Its still not optimal for solo but you do get better boat control over the new bow when sitting backward on the bow seat.. Its still like steering a shopping cart backwards..imprecise.
Your problem probably stems from you doing sweep strokes and having to constantly correct. The station you are paddling from now is wider than from the place you used to sit.

Get rid of the sweep by scooching over to your paddle side. Old Towns do NOT all have molded seats so the company is far from clueless.

Seems to work much better to sit on the bottom and lean toward the side, and riding the canoe on its side. But what about hitting medium to large waves? Could it tip over easier? And I sure wouldn't want to hit a rock or log. Flip over for sure i bet.

Back