• Happy National Limerick Day! 🅰️🅰️🅱️🅱️🅰️

Ice Out Predictions

Geeze, what happened to all the boasting about lots of snowy wintertime fun to be had? Aren't you northerners ever happy? (lol)
Yesterday evening just for fun I spread my compost pile. Just for fun. Lots of brown here waiting for green, white is just a distant memory.

The small lake I live next to uses an aerator in the winter so it gets a jump start on the spring thaw. If the weather held it would probably be open by the end of the week. But instead we're forcasted for 7-12" of snow, freezing rain, and 45mph winds on Saturday. This will be the 3rd weekend in a row with 7" of snow. Thankfully it's been relatively warn in between storms so it melts off. This is the latest ice out I can remember here. It will be at least another week before the lakes open.

But I'm surprisingly tolerant of it this year. Been having some back and hip issues which have really slowed me down. If it was 70 and sunny I'd be going crazy because I couldn't do what I wanted to do.

Alan

Had an interesting view this past week. Flying back from London to NJ, and sitting on the right side of the plane, I was able to see, due to lack of cloud cover a good portion of Labrador/New Foundland, Maine, Vermont and points south to NJ. Ice out has not occurred until we flew over Southern Vermont. Some rivers were flowing, but lakes still were ice covered.

Last edited:
Geeze, what happened to all the boasting about lots of snowy wintertime fun to be had? Aren't you northerners ever happy? (lol)
Yesterday evening just for fun I spread my compost pile. Just for fun. Lots of brown here waiting for green, white is just a distant memory.

No worries Brad, let us know how the big Ice storm goes for you this weekend.

Ice should leave quicker than the storm of 98
its fun to watch the ice and snow on nearby MT Washington
It melts. Actually sublimates below freezing if the sun angle is high
and of course they always have wind to help with convection

last nights snow snow is gone. And it never got above freezing

Back