• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

I need a ride to Wollaston Lake!

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot but there must be somebody headed to Wollaston Lake in 2018.

I'm contemplating a trip from Wollaston Lake in northern Saskatchewan to Baker Lake Nunavut for my Summer solo trip, the trip itself seems pretty simple, put in on Wollaston in late June or early July and paddle north for 7 weeks to Baker Lake then fly south to Winnipeg and home to Toronto.

A couple of years ago I convinced a friend to drive me to Pickle Lake to drop me off, that was a 4000km round trip. This time it would be over 7000km, I don't have many friends, can't afford to lose any!!!!

I could take the train from Toronto to Saskatoon and then find somebody to shuttle me north to Wollaston, I can't afford a sleeper and not sure 3 days in economy is a good way to prepare for an extended canoe trip, the shuttle likely not cheap either when paying for both a vehicle and driver with nobody to share the cost.

If anyone is heading that way and has the space for one more paddler, one more boat and a pile of gear it would be fantastic! Obviously I'm willing and able to share the driving and expenses along the way.

Ideally it would be someone from or passing through Southern Ontario although I could also meet up in Montreal/Ottawa or probably anywhere along the Trans-Canada Highway as far west as Winnipeg.

HELP MAKE MY DREAM TRIP COME TRUE!

I'm toying with the idea but I don't know if it will come off and won't be able to say for sure until close to the trip so don't count on me. And I probably wouldn't be leaving until mid-July.
Sounds like a great trip! Good luck. I'll get in touch if something starts to take shape on my end.

Alan

Looking at a map, it's 9 hours drive from Prince Albert, Sk. to Wollaston Landing on Wallaston Lk. There must be some regular truck traffic going to Wollaston Landing to service the Hatchet Lake FN settlement and other settlements/commercial enterprises north of WLL. Google Points North Landing. Or, there must be trucks/service vehicles leaving from Winnipeg going directly to WLL. Regular trucking company's might not allow passengers but owner operators are always looking to make a buck. Maybe a worker heading back north from vacation. Post query's in local websites/news papers or call trucking companys, call truck stops, ask on FN websites.
It would be great to get a ride right from Winnipeg where you would return to your car after the trip.

My wife and I are planning to head to Wollaston Lake from 3 hours west of Winnipeg in July for a fly-in/ fly-out paddle on the Waterfound River from Points North. We're not firm on a date yet, and there's a small chance that work will influence the timing, but we were thinking of mid-July. We're pretty flexible on dates though so we might be able to work something out for a little earlier. Depending on how much gear you have, we would probably have room.

As Alan said, it sounds like a great trip.

The trip out could be a bigger adventure than the paddling. We are fishing at Pakwash Lake the end of June. Once we are home you could stage out of here ( Winnipeg), inbound or outbound.Wollasten is two long days in the saddle that I would not be able to do but yoiu could crash here and we could manage a half day in either direction.

Other option....Reindeer lake in MB, through Lynn Lake road.

Already I am jealous.

Christine

Back