• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

I got to do this today...

Reaction score
I got he privilege too help on the fitting of the floor boards and the ribs of a birch bark canoe being built in my neighbourhood. I wish I could have help on the entire built, but it wasn't possible... Now I want to find bark and built one for my self!

Attachments

• photo7241.jpg
    photo7241.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7242.jpg
    photo7242.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7243.jpg
    photo7243.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7244.jpg
    photo7244.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7245.jpg
    photo7245.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 0
Very nice, I'd be happy to just help. Seen only a couple birches around here that might be canoe grade. Keep an eye out for chaga while you're looking for bark.

I've only seen this being done on TV and in vids online Ray Mears IIRC... amazing how flexible the cedar ribs were when split from the green logs. Also the spruce roots (?) used to sew the birch bark on and then the gumming with pitch made from, what was it... pine or fir resin... to make it all waterproof.

Very cool Canot, vous etres vraiment un homme tres chanceux.
There are several books on birchbark canoe construction; I've only read a couple. Fascinating stuff.
Incredible that a traditional bark canoe maker could walk into the woods with an axe and out again a week later with a finished canoe. Read a story of two Algonquin hunters who needed to beat the worsening weather with 1 canoe and a big harvested moose. What to do? Within a week one fellow made another canoe for the trip out, no problem. (They paddled traditional 15' bark canoes.) The birchbark canoe's attributes are remarkable. Very buoyant and surprisingly rugged (and heavier than you'd expect, don't forget the cedar planking). The toolkit consisted of bringing along a small pot of hardened pitch for repairs.
Show us more if you get the chance Canot.

Last edited:
Really lucky I am!! I really hope I can give it a spin on the Yukon when it's done... So this boat is built with these parts, Birch bark for the outer skin of course, but up here there isn't any cedar, so gunnels are spruce most likely white, then the stem piece are sawn from the root of a spruce tree( most bark canoes use "laminated" stem band lashed with roots) then the floor board are spruce also and the ribs are birch. All of it from the Yukon.

The gore seems will be pitch with spruce pitch, lard and ashes. that should happen today!!

I'll take more pictures.

I'll be gone paddling for a few days starting tomorrow. But will be back on time for the launch!!

That sounds like a great thing to be a part of Canotrouge, you are lucky. Does this mean you are no longer hot for a w\c boat?

Haha, this canoe won't be mine, I might not even get a chance to try it out.... As for wood canvas, I'm still working on that!!

No Title

So the ribs were all adjusted this morning, we made the gunnel caps and installed them(I'll get picture when I come back) and then decoration is happening while I'm gone and pitching of the seems!! More to come after it's done and ready for water!

Attachments

• photo7260.jpg
    photo7260.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7261.jpg
    photo7261.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7262.jpg
    photo7262.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 0
Love it. I'd just sit with a coffee in one of those chairs off to the side and watch if I could. This is the next best thing, thanks Canot.
Apparently the two methods I've read about involve either staking the layout to the ground, or raised on a platform as they did here.
I've also read the stem profile is very traditional to the culture and region.
Safe trip! Have fun!

Always amazing to see another birchbark canoe being born. Very cool stuff! Didn't know that birch would steam that well into ribs. Nice to know! Out in Northern Quebec & Labrador, the Cree & Innu would still use spruce for ribs. It would be split differently than cedar but still bend well.

i033a.jpg

Always amazing to see another birchbark canoe being born. Very cool stuff! Didn't know that birch would steam that well into ribs. Nice to know! Out in Northern Quebec & Labrador, the Cree & Innu would still use spruce for ribs. It would be split differently than cedar but still bend well.

i033a.jpg

Ha good to know that spruce would work good... I need to find info on the splitting method so Murat, if you have any info please let me know!!

The best part of all this is yesterday I got asked if I could paddle the canoe in the flotilla on the 6th!! I'm happy!

That's great to be part of, an amazing skill, hope the paddle goes well and you can post some pics.

A few years ago the Fairbanks Folk School made a traditional style Athabaskan birch bark canoe. Here is the link

While not a hull shape that grabs me that looked like a well built boat with real tight and smooth skin on it. It was also different from what I typically see in birch bark construction.

Back