• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Howdy from central Missouri!

Reaction score
New to canoing and tripping but already obsessed with learning and planning trips. Live just a few short minutes from several rivers in Missouri and have been hooked since floating the current on a rental canoe in October (actually the same weekend as the fall rendezvous on the current river).

Ordered my first boat a couple weeks back. A Northstar B-17 in IXP layup with a few bells and whistles. I can thank the fella at pulltite with the Northstar Phoenix on the current. I’d have never known about Northstar if not for that boat.

My intentions are to river trip in this boat with my wife and day trip with the kids. Hopefully you guys can lend many advices on outfitting.

Welcome from Alaska, you’re probably in the right place; there’s a strong knowledge base here and many tout the Northstar’s!
Enjoy yourself.

Welcome to the fire. I share your enthusiasm for planning trips. Nothing passes winter faster than studying maps and researching trip options.

I'm sure you'll have no problem getting outfitting help or any other advice you may want/need. A really good group of people frequent this site and I'd bet that you'll probably like it here.

Trippy D, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Trippy D, Welcome aboard, Congrats on the purchase of a Northstar it should serve you well... All in right out of the gate - I like it!

I'll second Gamma's Post to "planning the trip can be just as fun as the trip." This is a great place for the information you're going to be seeking. You'll find that you won't even have to post too many questions, as there is most likely a detailed post about it already.

Greetings from New England. A B-17 is very nice ride. Great that you can skip the Tupperware phase and start with a quality canoe.

I don't know much about Missouri, but I've made a few pilgrimages there for the MR 340 race. Big Muddy's a nice river for people who like sand, but I'll bet where you are you can actually see through the water sometimes.

Greetings from New England. A B-17 is very nice ride. Great that you can skip the Tupperware phase and start with a quality canoe.

I don't know much about Missouri, but I've made a few pilgrimages there for the MR 340 race. Big Muddy's a nice river for people who like sand, but I'll bet where you are you can actually see through the water sometimes.
Yeah the Current river is ultra clear!

Attachments

• 2E85E7C3-9A94-402A-A816-5AA8263B0EBE.jpeg
    2E85E7C3-9A94-402A-A816-5AA8263B0EBE.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 432BF416-A7E9-4D82-9131-C34530E12E03.jpeg
    432BF416-A7E9-4D82-9131-C34530E12E03.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 8
Yeah the Current river is ultra clear!
Especially as you're in an area where the majority of us will only visit vicariously... we'll be expecting trip reports!
this site looks to be the opposite!
In my experience, it is exactly the opposite. The "old guard" here (I won't name names but you'll meet them) are really helpful and down-to-earth... Really, like they have nothing to prove and they just enjoy canoes & canoe tripping. 🤷‍♂️

Back