• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

How to unjam a stuck double blade paddle?

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yellowcanoe asked this in another place and I'm moving the question to its own thread. Any advice for this problem?

I liked my Werner Camano till it jammed. And its never seen salt water. Any hints as to how to unjam the two halves? The button does go in and nothing happens even with a guy pulling on each end straight back.

I'd call/email Werner.
If anyone has the answer they should.

I have 2 Camano paddles - one for sale here currently - and never had a problem with either. They came apart and went together smooth as butter.

I know with stuck graphite fly rods some folks put ice on the ferrule and that usually does the trick. Also get 2 pieces of old rubber inner tube or those rubber jar-opener grip pads to get a better grip on the shafts when pulling apart

I have unstuck double blades by placing one end of the paddle in the narrow gap between a pickup truck bed and the truck cab. Holding on to the other blade end with the ferrule button pressed in, turn the paddle until you begin get your shaft end to rotate. Rotating one of the shafts will break the seal that is holding them together.

After having that problem once I made it my practice to separate the double blade after use and rinse thouroghly with fresh water.

Last edited:
I've had the problem with carbon fiber paddles when they get hot. The easiest and nearest solution is to soak them in water. It usually only takes a minute or two dipped in water at the takeout to free the shafts. I suspect the shafts expand from the heat just enough to lock them together.

they were never used in salt water. The day was 65 degrees and the paddle was immersed in the river water for a few minutes while I got the boat up.. ( ok I had fallen in! ). Immediately after fishing it out it exhibited its stuckness. I have had ferruled blades used in salt water for thirty years and never this much trouble.. I read somewhere that post 2012 that this is an issue.. And that Simple Green seems to work. now on my shopping list.

thanks Glenn for moving this topic to its own thread . I don't want to scare off a sale. I should have thought of that

I had this problem with a couple of my kayak paddles. I cleaned them many times and was unable to determined what exactly catches. I dripped some canola cooking oil around the button area and worked the button to spread the oil. It worked great after that.

Simple Green.. Just sprayed it on the joint. Went in for lunch, 30 min later got the paddle apart. Unfortunately wD 40 and oil both attract grime so while they seem ideal for the immediate solution , paddle makers advise against using those as they actually attract and trap grime. Odd cause WD 40 is supposed to be a cleaner.

Back