• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

How to Remove Vinyl Pin-Striping Tape?

Reaction score
Now that I’ve re-shellacked the bottom of the hull of my wood canvas canoe, I realize that there are areas of the pin-striping tape coming off. This 1/4” tape separates the painted canvas from the shellac. I would like to take it off and replace it with a different color. Is there a safe way to do this that doesn’t mess up the shellac, the paint, or the canvas?

Many thanks! I really appreciate all the help this group has given me!

Gregor

I have taken pin stripping off painted surfaces many times. It is a good sign that it might come off cleanly if it is already coming off on it's own. If either the paint or shellac has bled or is in effect sealing the pin striping to the hull, than I doubt it will come off cleanly.

That said, a plastic scraper and some low heat should do the trick. I would start with a couple space heaters under the canoe to heat up the surface a bit and maybe a heat gun or hair dryer on low just ever so slightly heating the striping as you pull and get under it with the plastic scraper. The idea is to get the pin striping to lift off- not scrape it off. Go slow and I would not use any solvents. If paint or shellac is coming off with the stripe and you are all ready committed, take an X-acto knife against the stripe to separate it and mitigate any further damage.

If you are OK with potentially having to touch it up or having a wider replacement stripe than I say go for it. You may be surprise how easy it comes off.

Bob

If the heat doesn't work, you could try alcohol. It might mess up the shellac some, but I would think brushing on some new shellac might restore it well enough.

I like painted pinstripes. This masking tape comes in many varieties for different stripes. I also like their pinstriping paint, goes on quick, dries fast and is very durable.

https://finessepinstriping.com/product/the-striper-f-00/

there are areas of the pin-striping tape coming off. This 1/4” tape separates the painted canvas from the shellac. I would like to take it off and replace it with a different color. Is there a safe way to do this that doesn’t mess up the shellac, the paint, or the canvas?

Brightraven, did you succeed in removing the pinstripe tape and, if so, what method was successful (or not)?

Back