• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

How to DIY accessories for the Mad River IQ system

G

Mad Rivers IQ gunwale system was a cunning idea, but the accessories that slide into the inwale and outwale channels were finicky, needed to be better sized to fit different hulls and were danged pricy.

Cross section of those IQ gunwales on the first page of this 2006 MRC catalog.

https://www.madrivercanoe.com/us/sites/default/files/2006 Mad River Catalog.pdf

The best of the IQ accessories were the Lash In webbing loop strips that slide into the inwale channel, and the spray covers that slide into the outwale channels.

Even those accessories had issues. The Lash in system was universally easy to slide in place, but the webbing loops were spaced 9 inches apart, which is kinda wide for float bag lacing.

P4060740 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The spray covers were likewise functional, but should have been more custom sized to fit different canoes. When they fit those covers are fantastic, but they do not fit equally well every IQ canoe.

P4060727 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Canoe Trippings Will Derness DIYed some custom length lash in strips, using this fabric sewn around 3 16[SUP]th[/SUP] diameter line as the boltrope that feeds into the gunwale channels.

https://www.sailrite.com/Odyssey-Turquoise-64-Fabric

My clever brother in law did the same for his IQ Freedom Solo, custom length DIY lash in strips, but with the loop spacing 5.5 inches apart. He made five and sent me the sloppiest of the bunch as an example. Still works like a charm, with better overall length and better loop spacing than the OEM version.

P4060742 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Clever fellow that he is, he made a bow spray cover that slides into the outwale channels using the same bolt rope sleeve material and some waterproof nylon pack cloth.

IMG_0920 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

IMG_0921 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

He has enough material to add a paddle pocket and plans to make a similar spray cover for the stern.

At IQ accessory prices those covers and lash in strips would run close to 300 bucks. I doubt he has 50 dollars in materials, and his DIY stuff is custom fitted to the canoe.

Nifty work.

Back