• Happy Scream Day! 😱

How to attach camera/GoPro to canoe with a skirt?

Reaction score
I just got a beautiful North Water Skirt for my Clipper Tripper canoe. Previously, I made a device to hold my camera to the stern thwart ( a steel gooseneck welded to a steel clip) Without the skirt, the system works fine. With the skirt on, there is nowhere to attach the clip.

Any ideas?

thx.

Attachments

• photo8224.jpg
    photo8224.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2
It might be possible to use the lash points that were drilled into the sides of the hull below both gunwales to bungee down a board so that the camera can mount onto that... depends on where the holes were drilled and if they're in the right spot... another option might be to drill a few more holes to attach a board.

GoPro also makes adhesive mounts that might bond to the fabric but this is probably prone to camera shake unless the fabric cover was cinched up very tightly or unless there was something solid underneath the fabric to provide a firmer base.. still, the canoe moves around while being paddled and the GoPro field of view is an extremely wide fisheye so a little more camera shake might not be excessive. If your camera has image stabilization the shake might be a non-issue.

I have used goPros with their suction cup mount on plastic kayaks, royalex, and composite canoes. Always had some small diameter guy line as a leash in case a wave, branch, or beavertail were to knock it off.

Maybe something like 1" flat steel bent in the shape of a capital N, drill a hole on the left vertical part of the N and run a bolt true with nuts on both sides of the hole. Have the bolt catch somewhere just under a gunnel to lock it in. This might fit under the cover or you could tweek the slanted part of the N to fit under the cover. It could also be installed any side or anywhere on the canoe gunnels for different angles of video shoots.

Good suggestions all.

I'm working on lashing down a board but it would need room beneath it for space for the clamp that holds the camera.

The spare paddle idea would give one camera position. The problem is that the paddle is attached to the spray cover but the cover is loosely fit. I might try attaching velco to the underside of the spray deck and wrapping it around the stern thwart below where the spare paddle is to hold the skirt firmly.

The metal bracket also seems possible. If I understand, the bracket holding the camera would be outside the boat, which could impede my paddle.

I've thought about suction cups, but they could also impede the paddle.

North Water has suggested a square or rectangular opening cut into the spray deck above the stern thwart (yo which I clamp the camera holder). Then, they could supply a square or rectangular shaped two-layer flap just a bit larger than the opening. The underside of the flap would then be glued to the spray deck. The flap layers velcro together on three sides. The fourth sides are sewn together. Opening the flap gives access to the opening to allow clamping the camera holder onto the stern thwart. With the flap closed, the spray deck is sealed. It's an idea but my partner hates the idea of making holes in our brand new expensive spray deck.

I'll post pics when I figure it out.

Here's what I did.
1. Drilled two new holes on each side of the canoe near the stern thwart (above the ones for the skirt).
2. Glued a lashing patch (the ones NorthWater provides for their skirts) to each hole.
3. Cut a plank to fit the width of the canoe just ahead of the stern thwart.
4. Tied the plank down with a piece of cord that goes through each lashing patch. This cord and plank are easily removed.
5. Clipped the camera attachment to the board and move the camera as needed.
camera on canoe.jpeg

Attachments

• camera on canoe.jpeg
    camera on canoe.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1
Back