• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Hotel in Old Forge Area

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm not on the ADK forum, so I'm hoping someone can help me here. I planned a hiking trip to Algonquin / Avalanche lake a couple weeks ago with my wife. She got sick, so I did it with a buddy. It was amazing. 11.5 miles in 7 1/2 hours. I want to get my wife out there, and was thinking Bald mountain, Rocky Mountain, and Black Bear mountain in the Old Forge area would be good for her. I'm having a hard time finding hotels close by. I would prefer the standard chain hotel over a lodge type place. I have driven many hours only to end up in a musty, old lodge. I don't mind it so much, but my wife is a totally different story. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
At the start of the 90-miler canoe race, many stay at either the Forge Motel, or at Clark's Beach Motel, or the Water's Edge Inn (across the street from the Enchanted Forest water/amusement park). These are right on the waterfront, but there are many other choices. Christy's tends to be popular as well. Closer to hiking at Rocky and Black Bear, the Marina Motel in Inlet is another you could try. Look on TripAdvisor for reviews, but as always, be cautious of planted fake reviews plus or minus.

see:
http://www.oldforgeny.com/where.html

Last edited:
My recommendation is the Wyndham in Rome. It is a fairly nice hotel - good service and nice amenities. It isn't the best I've stayed at, but it is the best to access OF IMO.

You'll have to drive in 1 to 1.5hrs to reach your destination but it isn't all that bad. I've done it for most of the winter to access that area.

The food is pretty poor in Rome - I've not found many places I like. I'd say the same for OF/Inlet area. Best place I ate in Rome was the Savoy. YMMV.

The other place I like is the Buffalo Head in Forestport. I usually stop there on the way back from OF. Nothing fancy, just home style American food. I've also eaten some good food at the Hotel in Boonville but that was eons ago - not sure how they are holding up.

I've stayed at a couple hotels in OF and I know exactly what you mean. Most are pretty poor and costly at that.

Here's my experience with the waters edge:

Went up late in the year a few years back and planned on camping. We wound up demo'ing some boats a MM and were thinking about buying what is now our current Swift. Snow started flying late in the day and we decided it would be best to stay in town - we were thinking about going back the next day and buying our Keewaydin (which we did).

Looking for a hotel that night we went to Water's Edge Inn to get a room. I think it was like $160 for the night. My wife and I went up and looked at the room after 'checking in' and within five minutes we were back at the desk asking for a refund. It definitely wasn't worth the money!

I'd say of the ones yknpdlr mentioned, the Forge Motel is the best. That had no vacancy the weekend I was referring to. We wound up staying at the Adirondack Lodge. It was cheaper, but no better. The room smelled like a moldy ashtray. It was pretty bad.

I was up last week and stayed at the Adirondack Hotel in Long Lake. I love the place and it was inexpensive.

Back